XP 3000+ or XP 3000+?

Gibbage

Limp Gawd
I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 board with a Athlon XP 2500+ Bartin at 333FSB I can overclock to 400FSB with air cooling. I want an upgrade and I was thinking the 3000XP is a nice price. Only problem is what version?

Should I go for the 333FSB and try and overclock it too 400, or the 400 FSB and try to overclock it beyond 400FSB? From what I remember, its easier to overclock a 333FSB then a 400FSB and I may get a faster CPU out of the 333FSB.

Anyone have any luck getting a good OC out of the 400FSB chip? Or what about the 333FSB chip?

Im getting the CPU upgrade for Doom 3 as it seems more CPU intensive then video and I have a nice 9800 Pro. The next step up in video card I cant afford, but I can bump my CPU up. I have pair of 512MB of Kingston HyperX so I am coverd for RAM in both D3 and OCing.

Thanks in advance

i would go for the 333... it gives you more headroom... but.. i don't know if it is worth it...

you might gain a few hundred mhz, but it will cost you over $100.. you might as well spend a little over $200 and go a64... or just sit tight with your current setup until you have the money for a more major upgrade...

if you really want to, i think you would have better luck with a mobile... but first i would drop the multi on your 2500+ with the wire mod trick, and up the fsb as high as you can go with tight ram timings.. or get better cooling and try to get more fsb out of that 2500+ at stock multi...

i know personally that i really can't tell a difference between 2.1 ghz and 2.4 ghz on my processor.. it might make more of a difference in games.. but i have no way of testing that...

To go with the Athlon 64 I would need a new MB (120+) and a new CPU (150+) and that would be about 300$ total. I may as well get a GeForce 6800 with that and I would get a better performance boost. I myself do a lot of 3D Studio's Max and need the extra CPU power for that also. I think the 3000+ will keep me happy till a freelance gig finally pays up, then I am going for the Athlon FX-53 and GeForce 6800 GT. Ballz to the wallz baby! But I am not getting that money till at least September.

Um... thats just stupid.

Your not going to get any more of a performance increase (noticable increase) out of that 3000+ then you would with your other CPU. If you were one of my friends I would smack you, and tell you to buy more ram or a better video card. Perhaps a Raptor HDD? It would increase your performance more and cost around the same.

A Raptor will only help load times, not FPS unless its loading textures. I already have 2 WD 40GB 7200RPM SE's striped as my OS drive. Going to 1 Rapter may slow me down. Also, I have not seen any test's that show going to 2GB of from from 1GB will give me any more performance then a faster CPU. What I am looking for is to be able to turn on a few more quality switches in D3 when its out. If I can get a cheap Athlon 3000+ and oc it to 3400+ speeds or so, it will give me better performance then an extra 1gb of ram, plus 2x512 stick will be about 160+ were the CPU is about 140+.

September sint that far away just wait a lil. If you have the money for a new cpu just overclock it as fast as a 3000+ becuase youll have the money there if something goes wrong.

OK. At 3000+ my CPU gets a little unstable. I have a Cooler Master Aero 4 on it and may just need something a little beefier. I dont want to get anything very loud. I have a 120MM in front, 1 80MM on the side blowing in, and 2 80MM plus the PS 80MM blowing out so I have good airflow. I have been looking at the new Gigabyte cooler or the Thermaltake Heatpipe Tower. Both very impressive, and as loud as you want them to be.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-044&depa=0

Back