XFX Radeon R9 Fury Triple Dissipation Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
XFX Radeon R9 Fury Triple Dissipation Video Card Review - Today we take a look at the XFX R9 Fury Triple Dissipation video card from XFX, sporting a custom cooler that is sure to keep temperatures cool and operation stable. We will be comparing it with a custom overclocked GeForce GTX 980 video card in head-to-head competition to see which GPU delivers the best performance for the price.

Last edited:
I think the only clear thing that the Fury has going for it, that wasn't mentioned (it's really an external consideration), would be the Freesync vs Gsync cost. But, i'd be hard pressed to not recommend waiting or getting a stopgap (used) card until more of the new gen cards launch.

I predict the Geforce GTX 1070 will solidly best the Fury when it's released, I wonder if XFX will drop the price at that point. XFX has done a very good job with the cooler on this card, but the price, even before the new Nvidia cards launch makes it a difficult card to buy. They may just discontinue it, the Fury is a big chip and the HBM can't be cheap.

I am very impressed by the thermal performance, it makes me more interested in considering XFX in the future.

Too little too late. there's really no point to consider this one with the 1070 around the corner. Even Polaris is probably a better choice.

The XFX R9 Fury Triple Dissipation overclocked pretty well using MSI Afterburner

Since when a 10% OC is considered pretty well?

Well, we are talking about Fury here. I remember when Fury was first released and could only take a 5% overclock over reference. Not too good for a card once hyped by AMD as "an overclocker's dream."

Well, we are talking about Fury here. I remember when Fury was first released and could only take a 5% overclock over reference. Not too good for a card once hyped by AMD as "an overclocker's dream."

You are getting the Fury mixed up with the Fury X. That was suppose to be the overclockers dream.

Either way Fury and Fury X failed in overclocking headroom.

XFXSupport should do a limited edition retro art card for the Polaris launch. I would like a collector's item. Just a suggestion.

Too bad Polaris is so close. This is an awesome card for an air cooled system if someone needed a new card like yesterday.

I wouldn't buy either card at this point, but especially the 980 because of what nVidia did to the 780/780ti driver handicap fiasco.

I am surprised by the power management actually, only ~30w more? That's not bad at all! I know the HBM is 50ish of it, but even so...

Why is this reviewed now and not at release? Of course its not going to look good.

I wouldn't buy this card now anyway since the new Radeon's are right around the corner. Once those launch the price will drop.

You have to look at the net result sir. A 10% OC on Fury reveals a 5.5% performance increase, whilst a 30% OC on the 980 shows a 6% avg increase. Is one more efficient than the other? Eh, who shmoes.

You have to look at the net result sir. A 10% OC on Fury reveals a 5.5% performance increase, whilst a 30% OC on the 980 shows a 6% avg increase. Is one more efficient than the other? Eh, who shmoes.

Sir, you need an intensive 101 class of reading comprehension and average calculation...

The AMD Radeon R9 Fury is built on AMD's new "Fiji" GPU. This GPU has all of the same features as the AMD Radeon Fury X, however one of the clusters is disabled on-die, providing fewer stream processors and texture units,

Right there is the first major problem with this card. I use the 290x Double Dissapation version from XFX and enjoy it, but this card needed a Fury X core.
the lack of 8GBi of memory is the other showstopper for me.

I wouldn't buy either card at this point, but especially the 980 because of what nVidia did to the 780/780ti driver handicap fiasco.
What fiasco? They didn't "handicap" the drivers for GK20x; they just focused on improving Maxwell. It has been shown that performance in games with Maxwell generation drivers was exactly the same as Kepler generation.

Has Nvidia Forgotten Kepler? The GTX 780 Ti vs. the 290X Revisited - BabelTechReviews

People had just made it up in their mind that there was no way a card they purchased just a year ago wasn't keeping up with the latest and greatest, which is asinine when talking about computer hardware.

What fiasco? They didn't "handicap" the drivers for GK20x; they just focused on improving Maxwell. It has been shown that performance in games with Maxwell generation drivers was exactly the same as Kepler generation.

Has Nvidia Forgotten Kepler? The GTX 780 Ti vs. the 290X Revisited - BabelTechReviews

People had just made it up in their mind that there was no way a card they purchased just a year ago wasn't keeping up with the latest and greatest, which is asinine when talking about computer hardware.

I've just heard that claim repeated a lot. It could be those card owners have frustratingly watched as AMD continually improved 290/290X performance (significantly since launch) with every driver update while they saw little if any increases as nVidia released new driver after new driver after new driver........

Only the hardest (no [H] pun intended) nVidia fans would argue about how sinister the company can be at times.

Last edited:
Tried my hand at overclocking my card yesterday. 1100 core, 550 memory.

Was pushing into the mid 190s often for framerate in the DOOM demo (Vulkan), but looked 160s to 170s on average up from 140s stock [1920x1080, maximum settings]. Hard to give detailed numbers cos I was actually playing all the while jumping around and firing/meleeing... no proper benchmarking.

Didn't have time to test other games, but I'm kind of excited to see if my experience changes in my other games now. I've been pretty disappointed for the most part with the games I play (they tend to be Nvidia sponsored/optimized titles), and temptation to splurge on the new Titan X has made me delve into overclocking.

Back