XFX Radeon HD 4890 Not Performing Up to Par

hugoender

n00b
I just bought an XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB video card for my computer. The rest of my specs are as follow:

My Specs:
Mobo: Foxconn C51XEM2AA - AM2 Socket - nForce 590 SLI
PSU: Enermax 500W - two 12V @ 22A - two PCI-E 6pin connectors
Memory: 4GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - 4 x 1GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2x512KB L2 Cache (Overclocked to 2.889GHz from 2.5GHz)
GPU: ATI XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB
HDD: (1)Seagate 250GB HDD @ 7200RPMs SATA, (2)WD 500GB HDD @ 7200RPMs SATA
Monitor: LG 22" Widescreen running at 1600x1050

So far I am not impressed at all. Before, I had an XFX Geforce 7950GT 256MB so I thought going from a 7950gt 256MB to a 4890 1GB would be a HUGE improvement. Not so. I am getting rather low framerates for such a high end card (25-50 fps).

I have ran it on Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Counter-Strike: Source, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. As you can see, the only really "new" game is COD. The rest are rather old and should run beautifully on this card. The funny part is that lowering textures and resolution does not improve the frame rate.

I have the latest Catalyst driver (9.11). I removed all old drivers both NVIDIA and ATI using the Driver Cleaner/Sweeper method. I have overclocked my CPU as far as it can go. I have checked the stability and temperatures of my system and they are all well within norm (refer to the following picture for temps and CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and DXDIAG screenshots).

Click the image for a larger version

So far all I can come up with is:
A. My CPU is bottlenecking my video card.
B. I got a faulty video card (I have read many posts where this is the case)

Now, while it may be possible that my CPU is indeed a bottleneck, I don't think it should be degrading the performance in games this much which is why I am also looking at the video as being at fault.

I ran some benchmarks on my system and this is what I got:
3DMark06
SM 2.0 – 3678
SM 3.0 – 4883
CPU – 1928
Total Score – 9046

3DMark Vantage
Graphics – 7492
CPU – 3166
Total Score – P5585

Both benchmarks were run using the free trial version so everything is set to default.

The following is what I have done so far to try and narrow down the cause of the performance degradation:
-----------------------
Test 1:
I decided to conduct a little test in COD: Modern Warfare 2. I ran Fraps to see the FPS. I then created a private match with the map where I normally have the lowest FPS (Scrapyard). Then in there I chose a spot where my fps dropped to it's lowest and made that stop the "designated" spot to stand on when checking different settings. Here is what I found.

In this "designated" spot, the maximum fps I could get was in the 50's (51-58). I got this fps with the following settings:
Resolution - 1680x1050
AA - 4x
VSync - On (I know this is supposed to decrease fps but it didn't so I left it on)
Texture Quality - Extra (max)
Shadows - off
Specular Map - off
Soften Smoke Edges - off

When I turn any one of the last 3 settings on, my fps drops by 8-10. If I turn 2 of them on at the same time, it drops by 15-20. If I turn 3 of them on then my fps drops by 20ish (I get around 30 fps).

Now, I did the same thing but this time turned all the textures to their lowest setting (Low) and set the resolution to the lowest 16:10 resolution (1280x800). With these settings and everything turned off (except for VSync which I left on) I was hitting the 60 fps cap almost all the time (it would go from 51-60). I then stood in the "designated" spot and turned on the Shadows, Specular Map, and Soften Smoke Edges. This dropped my fps to the mid 30's !!!

So now my question is: Are the last three setting (shadows, specular map, soften smoke edges) cpu intensive or is it all handled by the video card? If it's cpu intensive then for sure my CPU is the problem. If not, then there must be something wrong with my video card. A Radeon HD 4890 1GB should be more than enough power to handle all the settings in COD:MW2. Until the 5000 series came out, the 4890 was the top of the line in ATI (after the 4870X2).

I understand if maybe I could not run the textures on Extra or something but getting 30ish fps with everything minimum because I turned on Shadows, Specular Map, and Soften Smoke Edges is not acceptable.

-------------------
Test 2:
I went into Counter-Strike: Source and maxed everything out. I was getting between 30 and 70 fps. I then set everything to the minimum and while the bottom end of the fps range did improve (was going from 40 to 70fps), it still was not anything near what I should be seeing with such low settings on such a high end card.

Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but I would rather give you as much information up front instead of going through various pages of questions about whether I installed the newest drivers or made sure to remove the old drivers, etc, etc.

Your processor is too slow, end of story.
If you really want to see why/how, use task manager.

The soften smoke edges setting is a big burden on FPS. I personally think your CPU is holding you back.. truth be told the AMD X2 is a terrible performer in modern games. I had a 5000+ awhile back and used to dip down to 20 FPS in TF2..

Shadows in particular is probably putting a lot of load on the CPU.

Try keeping the settings the same at high 4xAA and lower res to 800x600. If you get around the same performance then you know CPU is to blame.

I know my CPU is holding my video card back but that much? Shouldn't the GPU score in the benchmarks be higher?

If it wasn't for the fact that I am basically at the end of the upgrading road with my current mobo/socket, I would just buy a new CPU. But since I would have to buy a new mobo and possibly some new RAM, I want to make sure that it's entirely the CPU's fault and not the video card as well.

I know my CPU is holding my video card back but that much? Shouldn't the GPU score in the benchmarks be higher?

If it wasn't for the fact that I am basically at the end of the upgrading road with my current mobo/socket, I would just buy a new CPU. But since I would have to buy a new mobo and possibly some new RAM, I want to make sure that it's entirely the CPU's fault and not the video card as well.

Yup, that much:
CPU scaling in games with dual & quad core processors with 8800Ultra

The X2 4850E is essentially the same CPU you have now. A couple of other articles:
CPU Scaling With The Radeon HD4870X2
CPU Scaling Wth The GeForce GTX 280

I agree his CPU is a bit low-end and should be bottlenecking his card a bit, but I don't think it should to the extent he's seeing.

Here's why I think this: In the middle of my last upgrade, there was a point where I only had my PSU, case and GTX 280. I wanted to try out the 280 ASAP, so I threw it in my old FX55 (single core @ 2.6 GHz) rig to play with it. I was playing L4D without ever going below 60 FPS. I also tried out Fallout 3 and it too was staying above 50 FPS. This was at a 1280 x 1024 resolution at the time. So if he has basically twice what I had, he shouldn't see such bad performance with that CPU.

I say, if you can, see if you can put that card in another PC and test it out. That's really the only way to find out if the card is defective somehow.

Hope this helps. GL.

The GPU needs to be kept fed with data and your CPU simply cannot do that.
So the gfx card is sat idle or only partially used most of the time.
It is a waste of your 4890.

@T4rd, Theres no getting round it, the CPU and its architecture is too slow unless running at very low resolutions like1280.
But at that res you have no need for anywhere near the power of a 4890.

@T4rd, Theres no getting round it, the CPU and its architecture is too slow unless running at very low resolutions like1280.
But at that res you have no need for anywhere near the power of a 4890.

See this is not true. No matter what I set the resolution to, I still get poor frame rates. I guess that does seem like it's more of a CPU issue and GPU.

The reason I don't want to dismiss the GPU as being part of the problem is because of the low benchmark score for the GPU. I know benchmarks are not a good indication of real gameplay but it is a standardized form of measuring performance.

Thank you all for your input. Keep them coming. Let me know if there is any more info you need from me. I want to hear from those that might think it's the video card as well.

Also, being that I am on a budget, if you think I should upgrade the CPU (and mobo for that matter) what should I go for? Tomshardware recommends the Athlon X3 435 2.9GHz. My problem is that that is only one more core than what I currently have and technically it's stock speed is the same speed that I have right now. It also has one more 512KB cache. Would this really make that much of a difference? I still cannot get myself to believe that my processor is THAT bad that it does not let me run games smoothly.

Also, being that I am on a budget, if you think I should upgrade the CPU (and mobo for that matter) what should I go for? Tomshardware recommends the Athlon X3 435 2.9GHz. My problem is that that is only one more core than what I currently have and technically it's stock speed is the same speed that I have right now. It also has one more 512KB cache. Would this really make that much of a difference? I still cannot get myself to believe that my processor is THAT bad that it does not let me run games smoothly.

Well you have to remember this: You have to factor in CPU architecture as well. The X3 435 is based on an entirely newer CPU architecture than the CPU you have now. The new CPU architecture allows the X3 430 to completely dominate an older-gen Athlon X2 CPU while being at the same clock speed.

And yes start believing it. Don't be in denial anymore ;)

See this is not true. No matter what I set the resolution to, I still get poor frame rates. I guess that does seem like it's more of a CPU issue and GPU.

The reason I don't want to dismiss the GPU as being part of the problem is because of the low benchmark score for the GPU. I know benchmarks are not a good indication of real gameplay but it is a standardized form of measuring performance.

Thank you all for your input. Keep them coming. Let me know if there is any more info you need from me. I want to hear from those that might think it's the video card as well.

You contradict yourself in your first paragraph:D
I've been there, strangled my CPUs to death but in the end you will come to the same conclusion, if you want a modern power card to perform well, you need a good CPU to feed it.
It does vary quite a bit between games but you are beyond help here, new hardware is required.

Hell, my [email protected] isnt fast enough to max out a single 5770 in Dragon Age origins at 1080p!!
I tested GPU occupancy and CPU occupancy, the CPU is at 100% constantly in both crossfire and single GPU, GPU use is around 40% in crossfire, about 80% in single card mode.
Using crossfire 5770 for Dragon Age is a waste of time with this CPU.
However, it still plays smoothly so not a big issue, but it makes the point well.

Other games are more GPU dependent but I still end up CPU limited at odd moments with crossfire.
If your framerate is high enough, it doesnt matter what is the bottleneck.
If your framerate is too low, you need to look at why.
There is no way your 4890 is the bottleneck, so starting from there.......

There are a few others on other forums who have complained of the same problem. I have the same card and too thought my 3dmark06 score was low (11,300) so i did some researching and testing. What i found was with my 7750 overclocked to 3.2, which it isnt stable at but stable enough to test, my score jumped from 11,300 to 13,075. Now i understand it jumped because my cpu score jumped, but what it also reflected was my sm 2.0 and sm 3.0 scores jumped between 800-1000 combined, so the 4890, and other high end cards, are VERY cpu dependent, they want fast cpu's to help push that data. If your that paranoid about the card, take it back and get another one, but i really think your cpu and your system overall is not allowing the card to run the way it should.

Alright thank you everyone for your time and input. I really appreciate it. I guess I will have to ask for a mobo, CPU, and RAM for christmas... now I just need someone to ask me what I want for Christmas lol If only I was younger so people would feel obligated to buy me something on behalf of Santa :D

Yes, it is the two 6-pin power connector version, not the one 6-pin and one 8-pin version. This is the card I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438

I see that you had the same problem. What did XFX tell you? I submitted a ticket yesterday so hopefully I hear back from them tomorrow (Monday). I have been reading a lot of people saying that they have received a fault or underperforming 4890 from XFX. I have actually read A LOT of posts from people about this. I was going to just go ahead and get a new cpu/mobo (which I still should) but something tells me the card is at fault.

I originally wanted to go with the 5000 series but they are a lot more expensive than the 4890 (I got mine for $174 after rebate) and I was led to believe, by tomshardware and other sites that test video cards, that the 4890 was an amazing card that performed just as well as a GTX 275 at a much lower price.

Yes, it is the two 6-pin power connector version, not the one 6-pin and one 8-pin version. This is the card I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438

I see that you had the same problem. What did XFX tell you? I submitted a ticket yesterday so hopefully I hear back from them tomorrow (Monday). I have been reading a lot of people saying that they have received a fault or underperforming 4890 from XFX. I have actually read A LOT of posts from people about this. I was going to just go ahead and get a new cpu/mobo (which I still should) but something tells me the card is at fault.

I originally wanted to go with the 5000 series but they are a lot more expensive than the 4890 (I got mine for $174 after rebate) and I was led to believe, by tomshardware and other sites that test video cards, that the 4890 was an amazing card that performed just as well as a GTX 275 at a much lower price.

They basically told me at first to check drivers/settings/configuration. After I explained that I tried all the basic stuff before I even contacted them, they approved an RMA for me to check/replace the card.

After reading the numerous posts about problems with XFX 4890s, I decided against the 4890 and sent it back to Newegg instead for a refund, and i put that money towards a 5850 instead.

It's a hit or miss really. Hopefully they would check out your card and send you back one that performs properly. I'd still go with a cpu/mobo upgrade in the near future.

I upgraded from a 7600GT to a 9600GSO 384MB and the FPS improvement in TF2 was pretty small. In Assassin's Creed, the upgrade meant going from near minimum settings to max settings. My CPU is a Q6600 at stock (too bad can't really overclock much on my motherboard). Lowering the settings or resolution doesn't really increase FPS in TF2.

Basically, source engine games need a really fast CPU. Not sure about MW2 since I don't play it.

Your CPU will hold back anything faster than an 8800GTS 320mb probably even that too.

Back