X670E Taichi Battery Removal

Prince Valiant

Limp Gawd
Did I miss something or do you have to pull off the entire chipset shroud to get at the CMOS battery :nailbiting:? I'm going to have to return it to Newegg due to a broken PCIe latch but I'm curious about the battery.

It's below the bottom PCIe x16 slot. You might be able to get at it without pulling the shroud, but that would make it easier. Looks like two or three screws, not too bad if that's all it takes.

Did I miss something or do you have to pull off the entire chipset shroud to get at the CMOS battery :nailbiting:? I'm going to have to return it to Newegg due to a broken PCIe latch but I'm curious about the battery.
It arrived witha broken PCI-e latch?

It's below the bottom PCIe x16 slot. You might be able to get at it without pulling the shroud, but that would make it easier. Looks like two or three screws, not too bad if that's all it takes.
The nvme shrouds are simple to remove but the bar/shroud extending over the CMOS battery appears to have all screws on the underside of the board. I'm not even sure why it's extending over it to begin with. There might be enough space to pop it out and slot another in but I don't really want to fiddle since it's getting returned.

It arrived witha broken PCI-e latch?
It was open box but yeah. Their policy states things will be missing and there might be cosmetic damage but I don't consider the latch to be cosmetic even if it'll lock.

Last edited:
The nvme shrouds are simple to remove but the bar/shroud extending over the CMOS battery appears to have all screws on the underside of the board. I'm not even sure why it's extending over it to begin with. There might be enough space to pop it out and slot another in but I don't really want to fiddle since it's getting returned.

It was open box but yeah. Their policy states things will be missing and there might be cosmetic damage but I don't consider the latch to be cosmetic even if it'll lock.
I wonder if they will accept that. I could see that going either way since the latch is pretty useless.

"Newegg accepts all returns within the product’s eligible return period. This applies to all Open Box products sold and shipped by Newegg. Shop with confidence with Hassle-Free Returns."

I'll find out if it's accurate soon enough.

I wonder if they will accept that. I could see that going either way since the latch is pretty useless.
^^ Which is why I never buy open box. Sure I might save a few bucks, but I might also get endless hassle and delay, and not have my new rig up and running right away. I'd sooner buy a used pre-built system (which I have never done.)

^^ Which is why I never buy open box. Sure I might save a few bucks, but I might also get endless hassle and delay, and not have my new rig up and running right away. I'd sooner buy a used pre-built system (which I have never done.)
Not online. I do it from microcenter all the time.

Lesson learned with Newegg's OB stuff. Upon closer inspection there looks to be a metal spring in the latch which is exposed because of the damage.

I think in all my years of buying open box from the egg, I had one motherboard (Asus WS) that arrived DOA. I sent it right back and was rewarded with a brand new one. Those days are long gone since it switched hands. Bummer.

They actually make you buy it before they allow you to inspect it now but you can return it right away.
Yeah Open Box at Micro Center is god like. Also their new GPU Trade-in program will net cards labeled as "Refurbished" ("Factory Refurbished" means the vendor did it) - which is just Micro Center running the GPU through tests for artifacting and slapping it in a box with a low price. Refurbished cards only have a 90 day warranty so that sucks.

Some nice options to search for on their site prior to a planned visit!

That gamers nexus debacle involving an open box motherboard that Newegg screwed…. And tried to screw them over before they realized it was GN… yea good times. Good times.

Seems easy enough to pop out. I have this board, love it.

1708550163382.png

I got photos of the board and serial but hopefully I'm not going to have to drag the CC company into this :hungover:.
Is all this hassle (and doing without a working system) really worth it, as opposed to buying a retail closed box product?

Seems easy enough to pop out. I have this board, love it.
Thanks. I didn't want to actually mess with anything beyond my basic inspection, but I wondered about it after seeing it, since it was going back (and is now on the way).

Is all this hassle (and doing without a working system) really worth it, as opposed to buying a retail closed box product?
I buy used stuff fairly frequently without any trouble but, I know the condition or it's cheap enough to not care. I wrongly presumed possible damage was limited to the cosmetic. I've got working systems to use in the meantime. If they don't give me trouble on the return I'll be content and I'll certainly avoid OB from them in the future.

Edit: In summary answer to your question, usually (for me) but not always.

Last edited:
Back