X3: Where have you been all my life?

Is there any resource online that tells you how much cargo space a given commodity takes up? I don't want to take some of these transport missions if I don't have enough space, but it doesn't really tell you how much space you need.

the interface needed a TON of work. I bought X3 (not sure which version) years ago, and i actually broke the disk in half it was so frustrating. The lack of a manual didn't help. I can't read a PDF while playing the #$^@@ game. That and a lack of mouse controls where a mouse made sense, ruined the game for me.

Ahahaha. I was coming back to this thread to post that it enticed me to finally load up Albion Prelude, but this reply was too funny. It's helped by the fact that it's entirely accurate. I will say though, that once you memorize the keyboard shortcuts, the interface is actually quite efficient to navigate. Most menus have a shortcut bind, and those that don't can be assigned one.

Going back to play AP after logging a fair number of hours in X3:TC, you'd think I'd know my way around...not so much. I was referring back to my old bookmarked X3TC guides every 2 minutes fopr at least the first 2 hours I was playing. X3 is one of the only programs I use where I really feel having 3 monitors and a ton of desktop space is legitimately beneficial. I've got the universe map up on one, reference tables, shortcuts, and notes on another.

Anyways, I just finished up the Poisoned Paranid start mission (raise $25mil for a cure in 75 hours or die), was a little rough at first escaping Paranid space in the slowest hunk of junk in known space, but I made it out eventually. Traded some E-cells, then some rastar oil, then a bunch more E-cells as I trekked around the galaxy wandering from system to system in my Demeter Hauler. Found my first stock exchange in a Boron sector...They didn't like me well enough to let me dock.

Next sector some pirates jumped me right as I came out of the gate, and my single rear Impulse Ray Emitter didn't seem to be doing much, so I dumped all my fighter drones and booked it (like a turtle) for the far gate.

Found my second stock exchange in Teladi space. They only wanted credits to let me trade...By this time I had a couple hundred thousand. I dropped an Adv Sat and headed off, curious to see what all the stock-exchange fuss was about. I made my first million before I left the sector.

Yeah, the stock exchange is WAY too easy to exploit. You can make millions in like 10 minutes.

I just bought the super box deal on Steam last night. Booted this game up for the first time.... WHOA

This is gonna be confusing haha. I'm trying to figure out how to configure my Logitech Joystick. Do you guys use k+m or some type of controller?

I just use KB/mouse. Works well for the interface and flying around (think Freelancer-style if you ever played that).

I just bought the super box deal on Steam last night. Booted this game up for the first time.... WHOA

This is gonna be confusing haha. I'm trying to figure out how to configure my Logitech Joystick. Do you guys use k+m or some type of controller?

KB/mouse here. If I could use my old CH F-16 Fighterstick I would, but it's the gameport connection model so I haven't had a way to connect it in a while. You'll want something with a lot of buttons and probably a modifier or two (like shift/ctrl). How you have your binds setup will largely depend on how you want to play X3. A military pilot will obviously have different preferences than a freighter pilot. If you're mostly fleet-managing from an M7M (missile frigate) you'll probably want a different setup than a dedicated M3 (fighter) pilot.

I personally use a largely default layout, with a few modifications and additions.

SETA is your friend. Use the crap out of it.
You will instantly/automagically dock at stations if you Shift+D when within 5km. No need to go through the drawn out docking animation. Just fly-by at high speed and Shift+D to dock, or whatever you rebind it to.

Quick question:
Do I have to buy the regular X3: Reunion in order to play the Terran Conflict ?

Steam says that Terran conflict is required to play Albion Prelude, but it doesn't say anything about Reunion.
I'm going to wait for the steam summer sale before I buy it because they've put it on sale for 75% off before.

I don't think you need Reunion to play Albion Prelude.

Also, pretty sure you can only auto-dock with a Docking Computer installed.

the interface needed a TON of work. I bought X3 (not sure which version) years ago, and i actually broke the disk in half it was so frustrating. The lack of a manual didn't help. I can't read a PDF while playing the #$^@@ game. That and a lack of mouse controls where a mouse made sense, ruined the game for me.

I didn't go as far as to break the disc but yeah, I found it incredibly frustrating. It's exactly the type of game that I would really like and could easily sink hundreds of hours into, but the interface and quirky mechanics are just too much of a barrier.

I was in the same boat as you guys. The interface, etc. Then I watched a youtube video a tutorial on the UI, and then it made a ton of sense, and put hundreds of hours into the game. Its still a poor UI but once you play with it a bit, its not that bad. Just wish you could resize windows, etc.

If you're having issues with the interfaces, i highly recommend the instant action feature which just drops you into a cockpit with other allies versus enemy squadrons. If you can win it on autopilot, without touching the directional keys or the throttle, then you can play the game.

Back