x1900gt or x1950pro?

prtzlboy

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I'm thinking of selling my friend my current 6800gt and upgrading to something a little better. I'm kind of torn between these options:

x1900gt

x1950pro

I'm only running a 17" lcd at 1280 resolution, so keep that in mind. Is the extra 40 bucks worth it for a die shrink and a bit faster core? Is the x1900gt able to overclock enough to overcome the difference?

Unless you really want one of the newer features of the Pro (cooler, less power, not sure about noise, internal CF, etc.), the performance is close enough after OCing that the GT is probably the way to go.

anyone else have any opinions? It'll probably next week sometime before I unload my current card.

Unless you're powerlimited, or want to go Crossfire in the future, get a GT (yes, you can go crossfire with a gt, but I believe performance is limited due to all the information transfered over the FSB, rather than with crossfire connectors... somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

FYI, that 1900GT is underclocked at the core. The core clock should be 575 and that one is showing 512.

I believe the 512 clock is standard for the 2nd revision of these cards. I also heard that software voltage adjustment was removed in that revision. Is that true? And if so, will that really limit the oc potential? Should I get the earlier revision? It has higher core clock but slower memory.

Back