X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 for 50.99 after MiR good deal?

I thought the Fatal1ty series was the good one. I remember reading some posts that warned against buying the X-Fi XtremeAudio/Gamer.

Good buy, but creative support\drivers are terrible.

The gamer is a full xfi, just doesn't have Xram (Useless).

Just because it's half height PCB people seem to think it's not as good. The Xtreme audio is of course a different story since it's really a rebadged Audigy SE.

I thought the Fatal1ty series was the good one. I remember reading some posts that warned against buying the X-Fi XtremeAudio/Gamer.

Don't spread mis-information.

The XtremeAudio is the X-Fi that's NOT A REAL X-Fi chip based sound card.

The XtremeGamer is a REAL X-Fi card. The only strikes against it are that it's not as MODIFIABLE since its analog op-amp design is different than that of the other "real" X-Fi cards, and cannot be connected to the Creative front panel break out box.
However, the XtremeGamer is half height and will fit into HTPC cases that the others won't.

Yup, I upgraded from my XtremeGamer to an XtremeGamer Fatal1ty (Best Buy had them on sale for $100; the previous week, I purchased an XtremeGamer regular for $105, so I took it in and exchanged, and was actually given $5 :D) and I noticed no clear audio upgrade. The only big deal about the XtremeGamer in my view is that you can't mod it, but modding requires soldering which most people don't have experience in anyway. I personally am getting my friend to mod mine... all the stuff arrived today :D

Yup, I upgraded from my XtremeGamer to an XtremeGamer Fatal1ty (Best Buy had them on sale for $100; the previous week, I purchased an XtremeGamer regular for $105, so I took it in and exchanged, and was actually given $5 :D) and I noticed no clear audio upgrade. The only big deal about the XtremeGamer in my view is that you can't mod it, but modding requires soldering which most people don't have experience in anyway. I personally am getting my friend to mod mine... all the stuff arrived today :D

Considering I paid $104 for mine (also at BB, and on Sunday), I'd say that's a good deal. Unlike the XtremeAudio (everything is software), the XtremeGamer is the real deal. While I do have soldering experience, I didn't get into IT to wield a soldering iron. As someone that initially questioned the value of upgrading to an X-Fi from an Audigy 2 ZS, I have to admit *I was wrong*; the X-Fi (XtremeMusic/Gamer and up) is a worthwhile upgrade from any Audigy (including the ZS), even when Vista is your OS.

Back