Would installing Windows 7 64-bit on my netbook be worth it?

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Gateway LT2811U netbook. I have 2gb of ram installed (max the netbook supports). I currently have Starter installed on it, but I have a copy of Windows 7 Professional x64 that I have available. Will 64-bit run well on the netbook? I know it will use more ram than what 32-bit. Will I see any performance gains or is it best just to stick with 32-bit?

^^In that case, if I get a 32-bit install disc for professional, can I still use the key I already have?

No benefit using 64bit OS on a single core netbook. I believe the hardware data path is 32bit wide which means that a 64bit OS would not have any real increase in performance may even decrease in performance.

I am curious if it would even install.
Stick with 32bit Win7 OS on the netbook.

I'd stick with 32 bit. You really wouldn't gain much by jumping to 64 bit unless you wanted to be cool. Seriously, though, you wouldn't notice any benefits unless you have a 64 bit program that you need to run and don't have a 32 bit version...

Seriously, the only thing I've ever encountered in Win 64 bit over 32 is problems :p I guess Windows was just meant for 32 i386 and that's prob where it will die :)

Seriously, the only thing I've ever encountered in Win 64 bit over 32 is problems :p I guess Windows was just meant for 32 i386 and that's prob where it will die :)

Sounds like a problem with your hardware or the software you use, not a Windows problem. I've encountered zero issues with the x64 versions.

Sounds like a problem with your hardware or the software you use, not a Windows problem. I've encountered zero issues with the x64 versions.

Same here. In fact, I've had better luck with 64 bit version of Windows 7 than with a 32 bit version.

I've not had great luck with 64 bit on low end laptops. It seems that at 2GB of RAM or less it just doesn't work well. For me anyway.

If it's an atom cpu, they only support 32 anyway.

Only the first generation Atoms were 32bit. 64bit Atoms have been around since 2008.

Is the LT2811U an atom 270 model? They've been 64bit since the N3xx.

EDIT: Just checked, it's an N455.

In this case, same question as when 64bit CPU's came about. Why would you run a 32bit OS on a 64bit CPU?

If you had Home Premium or above, I would say stay with that. However, if you cannot get ahold of a 32 bit disc and 64 bit will install, I say go for it. The starter edition of windows 7 is super freaking slow and crappy.

I do not know what Microsoft did but they somehow took a good OS and made it run like the crap that starter is. Before I had my netbook stolen a few months ago, I had Win7 pro 32 bit on it and it run much quicker than starter any day of the week.

Back