Workgroup problem

2k3eblade

Gawd
Hello guys. I just upgraded my router's firmware (D-Link DGL-4300) and did all the steps to get my config back into running order. But now I have this odd problem where the computers don't put their computer name to their IP addresses. For example I am using ubuntu to rdc onto my windows xp pro desktop using the computer name. Now after the firmware upgrade I have to use the IP address. This is annoying because now samba gives a timeout looking for my workgroup and I have to now manually type out each IP address : port to access my shares. I made sure that netBIOS is running on each of the windows machines and that the conf in samba is setup correctly. It was working fine before the firmware change and now I don't understand why it's not. Any suggestions? :confused:

the router isn't adding the computers to dns properly.
You may have to revert to the old firmware.

There is an option now on the router to set a "NetBIOS Advertisement" which I did and I set the sub-options to "broadcast only" because I have no WINS servers setup on my network. But still I get no connection from the workgroup in Linux.

Ok I reverted back to my old firmware and my desktop can find my RDC connection but my laptop still needs the IP to connect :( What could be the problem?

Seems like OpenDNS was the problem. It kept sending out the requests outside of my LAN.

Back