WMC extender question

Nettwerk

2[H]4U
If you have a HTPC with Ceton cable card installed in one room and a xbox360 in another room, can you both watch live tv at the same time in different rooms if two tuners are idle?

Yes - this is the setup I'm using now. HTPC in the living room, 360s in the bedrooms as extenders for TV/media.

To add some additional detail to the "Yes" answer not already stated by the 3 others :), if you're watching the same channel on any extender and/or HTPC, only 1 tuner is used.

Yes as stated before but one thing I found which is a little annoying is that if the PC is running Media Center the Xbox 360 can't do "Recorded TV".

So I had to set my "Videos" Library to include the recorded TV folder and it worked. But everything else works great.

Yes as stated before but one thing I found which is a little annoying is that if the PC is running Media Center the Xbox 360 can't do "Recorded TV".

So I had to set my "Videos" Library to include the recorded TV folder and it worked. But everything else works great.

I can play recorded shows back on both of my 360's just fine without adding it to the video library.

I can play recorded shows back on both of my 360's just fine without adding it to the video library.

Do you have media center running on the PC also? I can use recorded tv just fine on mine if Media Center isn't running on the host PC.

Same here - no issues with concurrency of accessing recorded TV and extender/main htpc.

yea it should be a hell of a lot cheaper than a 360..... plus it will do DTS sound.... =) i know they are desiging they own 6 tuner stnd aloen DVR box.... so id assume when that is released they will probably release the 6 tuner as well..... although.... im content with my quad tuner =)

"hell of a lot cheaper?"

The xbox is $199. They can't go much cheaper than that. Xbox has volume and games/market to make up for any losses on the HW. Ceton doesn't have that.

the ceton ECHO should be pretty cool too....when it comes out... =)

Considering the premium that the Ceton and HDHR had when they first came out, it might be a while before the Echo is price competative with the xbox. If the Echo can do more that's a different issue. But even then, I'd be happen enough with xbox level functionality so it couldn't be too much more before I lost interest.

I believe Ceton has made comments it'll be less than the Xbox - my guess is anywhere between $100-$150.

The Echo should support more codecs, natively. MKV support is on their short list, but no official stance that it definately will. At the very, very least, it will have all of the functionality that the Xbox Extender mode provides.

Any idea when the echo comes out. I'm looking for alternatives for an extender since I do t want to run xboxes

damn i cant wait that long lol

In the meantime, you can probably pick up a cheap used Linksys DMA 2100 or 2200 from fleabay. I've got a pair of them working fine, but I'll probably end up upgrading to the Echo when it is out. Ceton's site merely says "2012"

In the meantime, you can probably pick up a cheap used Linksys DMA 2100 or 2200 from fleabay. I've got a pair of them working fine, but I'll probably end up upgrading to the Echo when it is out. Ceton's site merely says "2012"

That's what I'm trying to find

Back