Wiping / sanitize laptop (NVME) before returning

trikat

Limp Gawd
I need to return a laptop, but want to wipe personal data before resetting Windows 11.
Would the following effectively sanitize personal data?
  • Delete personal files
  • Empty recycling bin
  • Run h2testw - "all available space"
  • I believe it leaves test files behind; search and delete them.
  • Use Windows 11 Optimize Drive -> Optimize (trim)
I realize NVME have spare / overhead space that cannot be sanitized, but this is the best I can think of.
Another option is downloading BCWipe trial and follow their SSD file wiping procedures.

Edit: Found the easiest method; select "clean the drive fully" during Windows 11 rest.

Last edited:
You could do the windows refresh/reset jig, image the drive, zero the free space on the image (there are probably tools that can do this), then wipe the drive and write the image back.

edit: virt-sparcify is one tool which can zero free space in a disk image. https://access.redhat.com/documenta...oyment_and_administration_guide/virt-sparsify

Edit2: nvm, it just makes the image files sparse, which means any zeros in the images aren't written as data on the physical disk. Any non-zero data (even if unused) will still be written to disk. You would have to boot up a vm, zero the disk and do a trim command...which I guess would be the same as zeroing and trimming the physical disk in the first place.

What I don't know is if a trim'd disk immediately zeros the cells or if it's done over time.

Last edited:
You could do the windows refresh/reset jig, image the drive, zero the free space on the image (there are probably tools that can do this), then wipe the drive and write the image back.

edit: virt-sparcify is one tool which can zero free space in a disk image. https://access.redhat.com/documenta...oyment_and_administration_guide/virt-sparsify
Just found out Windows 11 reset has a "clean the drive fully" option.
That should be good enough on it's own. Makes my life easier.
Thanks all.

Thanks for the suggestions, but those options will wipe the entire drive.
I'd imagine that might wipe the recovery partition / files preventing me from resetting Windows 11 to OOB.

That's fine. They're not going to care. If the manufacturer/reseller is going to turn around and resell it somehow they're going to reimage the SSD regardless. Your only concern is protecting/wiping your personal data.

Just found out Windows 11 reset has a "clean the drive fully" option.
That should be good enough on it's own. Makes my life easier.
Thanks all.

I'm not familiar with this option. Make damn sure it does what the name implies.

Back