Windows 8 Phone Question

triarii3

Gawd
I currently use a lot of android services such as Google Music, Google Drive, Google maps.

Does windows 8 phone have a full suite of google services?

I am currently considering trying windows phone right now. Any input would be welcome! thanks!

EDIT: I also use chrome almost exclusively. are you forced to use MS explorer? sky drive or other MS services?

Have to be blunt: nope.

You can certainly use Gmail, and there are ways to sync your calendar or use services like G+ and YouTube, but the only official app is a basic search tool. Microsoft has committed the deadly sin of competing with Google's search business, and that means Google refuses to support the Windows Phone platform the way it does Android or iOS.

Last edited:
I currently use a lot of android services such as Google Music, Google Drive, Google maps.

Does windows 8 phone have a full suite of google services?

I am currently considering trying windows phone right now. Any input would be welcome! thanks!

EDIT: I also use chrome almost exclusively. are you forced to use MS explorer? sky drive or other MS services?

It depends on the device you buy. If you get a Nokia Lumia (which you REALLY should be doing if you're going with a Windows phone), you'll get Nokia's and Microsoft's services. The relationship goes like this:

Google Music --> X-Box Music and/or Nokia MixRadio (they work together, and MixRadio supports offline mixes).
Google Drive --> HERE Drive (superior since Nokia supports full offline navigation)
Google Maps --> HERE Maps (superior since Nokia supports full offline navigation)

As far as internet browsers go, you'll only get Internet Explorer. There are some alternatives available, but they're basically glorified skins for IE.

I don't use cloud storage myself, but I imagine you'll be stuck with SkyDrive if you need that.

It might be worth mentioning that Pandora on my Nokia Lumia doesn't give me any ads at all for the free version. I'm not sure if this is due to some deal they made with Microsoft, Nokia, or both. But it might be worth considering as a replacement for Google Music.

If you're tied to Google services, then WP is the worst platform you can go to at the moment. Of course it would be best to stay on Android, but even iOS is significantly better for Google services than WP (Google apps for Gmail, Chrome, Drive, Calendar, Maps, etc.). There was even a time for a while there where WP didn't have a proper Youtube app (for reasons I'm not sure were ever completely confirmed).

It might be worth mentioning that Pandora on my Nokia Lumia doesn't give me any ads at all for the free version. I'm not sure if this is due to some deal they made with Microsoft, Nokia, or both. But it might be worth considering as a replacement for Google Music.

That's due to a deal MS struck with Pandora. Apparently that deal was supposed to end at the turn of the new year, so if you still don't have ads, then I guess they re-newed it. Also, the Pandora apps on Android and iOS have been updated since that article to pretty much match the functionality and UI.

That's due to a deal MS struck with Pandora. Apparently that deal was supposed to end at the turn of the new year, so if you still don't have ads, then I guess they re-newed it. Also, the Pandora apps on Android and iOS have been updated since that article to pretty much match the functionality and UI.

Just got an email last night from Pandora saying that ads would be coming to WP8. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Back