Windows 8.1 Update 2 Coming August 12th?

And immediately, you divide yourself directly into the "proclaimed techie" group.

XP /= 9x. XP = NT.

Yes, that's my mistake.

Thankfully, it has zero bearing on my actual point, which you conveniently fail to address—because hey, backhanded remarks are fun!

If something works with Windows 7, it should work with Windows 8(.1). There are no massive kernel compatibility changes as we saw with the transition from XP (9x) to 7 (NT).

LMAO

As pointed out earlier. So much fail in that statement.

Windows 2000 was NT 5.0.
XP was 5.1-5.2.
Vista was NT 6.0. Windows 7 is NT 6.1.
Windows 8 is NT 6.2 and windows 8.1 is NT 6.3.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

No major kernel point revision since Vista. There is a reason they called Windows 7 "Vista R2" internally for a long time. They rebuilt NT for Vista, (you old enough top remember "Longhorn") and have been revising since then on the same platform with slight optimizations and new wrappers.

Yes, that's my mistake.

Thankfully, it has zero bearing on my actual point, which you conveniently fail to address—because hey, backhanded remarks are fun!

What is your point? That windows 7 to 8 is a massive kernel overhaul breaking applications that nobody ever names? Cause oh wait, there is no massive kernel differences from 7 to 8. Minor updates.

LMAO

As pointed out earlier. So much fail in that statement.

Windows 2000 was NT 5.0.
XP was 5.1-5.2.
Vista was NT 6.0. Windows 7 is NT 6.1.
Windows 8 is NT 6.2 and windows 8.1 is NT 6.3.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

No major kernel point revision since Vista. There is a reason they called Windows 7 "Vista R2" internally for a long time. They rebuilt NT for Vista, (you old enough top remember "Longhorn") and have been revising since then on the same platform with slight optimizations and new wrappers.
In many ways Windows 7 is no different then Vista, but we love 7 and hate vista. Why? Vista had so many problems at first that it gained a bad reputation. Driver updates, service packs later and most of the problems were solved, but people remember all the bad. So eventually Microsoft farted out 7 to get a fresh start.

It's like a business that put up a sign that says under new management. You know they aren't, but you go there anyway.

Back