Windows 7 HP Family Pack License

grss1982cvg

Limp Gawd
So a friend of mine took her laptop to a local tech shop and had Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it. She had some issues with installing a card reader driver for the HP laptop, so she called the shop to ask why the driver was installed, but they said everything was installed fine and that the computer was in perfect working condition when it was returned with her. The boys at the shop also told her to take it up with MS.

So my friend decides to intiate a chat session with MS tech support, according to her, for one to avail of the 90 day free tech support of Windows 7, you had to provide MS with your Windows 7 product ID, which can be found by tapping the Windows Key and the Pause/Break key. Now while chatting with the Windows 7 technician, she was suddenly informed by said technician that her product ID as well as her product key was for a version of Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack!!!! :eek:

I had assumed that Windows 7 Family Pack should have only one owner of the product key and then that said owner is allowed to install it on three computers.

My concern is did the tech shop violate the license agreement of the Family Pack? :confused:

Also is my friend going to get into trouble for this? :confused:

Last edited:
The Family Pack was designed as the name implies: pay one price, get a license that allows you to install the OS - using the same key - on 3 different machines and get valid activations for those 3 machines.

The question here is simple: did your friend go into the purchase of the computer with any specific request to add the Family Pack licensing as part of their overall purchase? From what you just explained, I'd say no. It was a single computer purchase, and nothing more. They - meaning your friend - had no intentions of getting such a Family Pack license and should be in the clear considering this.

But, the shop that sold the PC could be in deep shit, basically. A lot of "Mom & Pop" computer shops do 1 or 2 things these days:

1) They purchased multiple Family Packs when they were available (they aren't anymore) at the single price with the intention of selling those licenses off as individual licenses without the end user ever being made aware of such a tactic.

2) They purchase TechNet Plus subscriptions which provide 10 Product Keys (they are Retail class keys) and then sell those off. So for the $349 subscription price per year, they can literally make a ton of cash selling off those Product Keys as though they were legit Retail products.

Both methods are effectively against the user licensing agreements with Microsoft, and both methods are surely going to cost that computer shop their rights to sell Microsoft products and anything else related to this IF - and that's a big IF there - your friend is willing to call Microsoft again and explain the situation as well as file a report with them or the Business Software Alliance.

Your friend, as the customer, didn't do anything wrong. They made a purchase in good faith believing they were getting a legitimate license for Windows 7 Home Premium and were simply unaware that the tech shop is committing fraud, effectively, against not only their customers but against Microsoft as well.

I would have the friend contact Microsoft and explain the situation, and go from there.

Long story short:

The tech shop is trying to make massive profits by selling licenses and Product Keys for Windows 7 that they're not legitimately entitled to do. Your friend needs to report this situation soon and get it resolved.

For your question about did the tech shop do something wrong? Absolutely, 100% based on the info you provided (if there's more then I can't say for certain but from what you explained they most certainly did).

For your question about your friend getting in trouble I would say no. Microsoft may provide a legitimate license and Product Key but, if they don't report the issue then they're not helping - and they're basically remaining "illegitimate" to some degree as well.

Best solution overall is to contact Microsoft and explain it all, seriously. They'll want to know who's ripping them off and it'll be the tech shop - not your friend.

@Bahamut:

Thanks for the reply.

Incidentally the shop in questions has'nt even given my friend the actual Windows 7 installation disc.

The sticker on the case is the license - that greenish-white sticker is known as the Certificate Of Authenticity aka the COA - and what determines "ownership" of the license to use it.

It should be in the form of a sticker on the machine someplace but it can also be in a paper form as well. The actual CD/DVD doesn't really represent much of anything and, as expected it's no surprise. The Family Pack only comes with 1 piece of media and 3 COAs anyway. :)

So get that friend to get on it, relay the info to Microsoft and see what happens.

Wow, I never knew they had family packs for Windows. I see it all the time for Security software, but that was it.

How are those "mom and pop" shops supposed to make money if they have to pay $110/license for MS Home Premium when Dell sells full PCs/LCDs for $400-450??

What other options do those places have - just curious...

They, like ever other business, have two options:

1) Do it the right way and stay in business to hopefully make some profits, or...

2) Do it the wrong way and go out of business AND potentially get slapped with huge lawsuits that cost far more over time than they could have ever imagined.

The little guys, the small business owners, whether they're legit or not, already get the shit end of the stick because they don't get big discounts on volume purchases like the really big OEMs do (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) but, it's just how things work.

Better to do things right and hope for the best than do it wrong and have everything yanked out from underneath you when you least expect it. If a shop is doing this kind of thing, and they get caught and lose everything, they really did bring it on themselves.

As noted the Family Packs were around at the Windows 7 launch for a short period of time afterwards but are long since gone. Shame, since it would have potentially meant even more adoption of Windows 7 just because of the costs involved.

Had I known about the "family pack" I would have bought 2 or 3. I have 3 brothers, and fiances, mom, dad... and 5 of my own machines!!! Man, that would have been sweet. Right now I had to buy my copies, but got lucky paying only $30 or so for one bc I was a student trying grad school last yr...

I'm sure the OP isn't the only one who'll go through this...

I really don't know why you think this is such a big issue. Is it against the license terms? Yes. Does anybody really care? No...

Does the computer work....?

I really don't know why you think this is such a big issue. Is it against the license terms? Yes. Does anybody really care? No...
This isn't some kid downloading and installing a copy of Windows, this is a business making illicit profits by lying to their customers and claiming they're selling computers with valid Windows retail licenses. It's absolutely a big issue.

Does the computer work....?

Just because you may not give a rat's ass doesn't mean some people out there in the world like to actually play by the rules, whatever they may be. There is some good left in the world, even in spite of it being brushed aside and walked on by such attitudes...

"Who cares..." is the battle cry of morons, I think.

The friend of the OP is doing "the right thing" so, don't fault 'em for it.

This isn't some kid downloading and installing a copy of Windows, this is a business making illicit profits by lying to their customers and claiming they're selling computers with valid Windows retail licenses. It's absolutely a big issue.

Illicit profits? Are you describing Microsoft? Why do you think the small shop did what they did? Nobody is going to pay the $110 for the software, plus whatever rate the shop charges to backup files, install OS, install drivers, and restore files. By that time, you have almost reached the cost of a new laptop. While I don't totally agree with the shop violating Microsoft's "laws", I do disagree with them not taking care of the driver issue. Obviously, the OP's friend can use some sway due to the licensing problem...

Illicit profits? Are you describing Microsoft? Why do you think the small shop did what they did? Nobody is going to pay the $110 for the software,
Are you serious? Is this a joke? Do you have any clue how this process works? Do you really think the stores pay the same price we do for an individual license? Wow.

Are you serious? Is this a joke? Do you have any clue how this process works? Do you really think the stores pay the same price we do for an individual license? Wow.

How much do you think a small shop really pays for Microsoft licenses? Do you expect them to use an OEM license on a pre-existing laptop? NewEgg price right now is around $110 for a retail Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade. I doubt the cost for a small shop is much less than that. We aren't talking about geek squad here.

Bottom line, the shop fucked up with the licensing, but the bigger issue should be them not fixing the driver problem and then referring the user to Microsoft when they themselves are doing "unlicensed" shit. I know some people here think that Microsoft licensing terms and activation are sacrosanct, but they really need to get their heads out of the clouds. Not everybody can afford to shell out $XXX for a new operating system. Microsoft is starting to realize that with the cheaper upgrades to Windows 7 and numerous student promotions, but there is still a long way to go for the 20+ years of price gouging.

Last edited:
How much do you think a small shop really pays for Microsoft licenses?
They still get a discount. Instead of trying to argue a point you aren't sure of, go into the GenMay section, post a thread asking all the small repair shop owners how much they pay. I will tell you it is definitely not the price the large system builders pay, but it isn't what we would pay either. Now, add in a small amount of business sense, and you'll see how they recoup their costs. Hint: Labor is a good place to start. The same principle applies for car mechanics.
Bottom line, the shop fucked up with the licensing, but the bigger issue should be them not fixing the driver problem and then referring the user to Microsoft when they themselves are doing "unlicensed" shit.
That's exactly the point others have been making, that you've been taking issue with in your anti-Microsoft crusade!
Not everybody can afford to shell out $XXX for a new operating system.
And that's why the majority of computer users worldwide obtain their OSes when they buy new computers, bringing us full circle to the top point above. We, as enthusiasts, represent a tiny percentage of the overall user base. Not everyone can or wants to spend $100 or more for an OS that they don't know how to install, or wouldn't know the difference between it and their old OS.

DeaconFrost said:
Instead of trying to argue a point you aren't sure of, go into the GenMay section, post a thread asking all the small repair shop owners how much they pay.

I'm not sure, and you're debating me, yet you are unsure as well...??? If you know how great the pricing is, then what is it? And if you don't know what it is, how can you make that argument?

That's exactly the point others have been making, that you've been taking issue with in your anti-Microsoft crusade!

I'm not anti-Microsoft, I just disagree with some of their past pricing and licensing "strategies".

And that's why the majority of computer users worldwide obtain their OSes when they buy new computers, bringing us full circle to the top point above. We, as enthusiasts, represent a tiny percentage of the overall user base. Not everyone can or wants to spend $100 or more for an OS that they don't know how to install, or wouldn't know the difference between it and their old OS.

Exactly, but even enthusiasts don't want to pay that price WITH free labor.

This is going to be my last comment, but my overall idea was that Microsoft makes it difficult for small shops to be legit and turn a good profit (on Microsoft products). I don't care how you spin it, that's the truth.

And if you don't know what it is, how can you make that argument?
I already explained how I know that, and offered you a quick way to find out for yourself. You just chose to ignore it because it shot down your theory.
my overall idea was that Microsoft makes it difficult for small shops to be legit and turn a good profit (on Microsoft products). I don't care how you spin it, that's the truth.
So, do you think the small Apple shops get cheap discounts? I've dealt with three of them in my city for repairs on a Mac Pro we have, and each one will tell you they HAVE to charge a lot in labor, because of the costs they pay for Apple's hardware and software. They also try push extended warranties and service contracts to make money as well. I could give you some links to those places.

Back