Windows 10 update stuck at 98%

progress circle freezes? disconnect anything and everything you can, drives, devices, everything.

How long did you wait before giving up on the update? Once I had it stall out and left it alone for a few hours and came back to find it finally updated

progress circle freezes? disconnect anything and everything you can, drives, devices, everything.

A progress circle I wish! I wouldn't really go as far as to state that spinning balls are any indication of progress - When updates can take hours the spinning balls just add to the confusion.

A progress circle I wish! I wouldn't really go as far as to state that spinning balls are any indication of progress - When updates can take hours the spinning balls just add to the confusion.
it the circle is still moving the system hasn't locked up or "freezes", which is why I asked.

it the circle is still moving the system hasn't locked up or "freezes", which is why I asked.

Naturally a valid point, the problem is spinning circles don't inform us as to just whether those CPU cycles are being used to install the update or stuck in some form of loop.

I hate those spinning balls. ;)

Naturally a valid point, the problem is spinning circles don't inform us as to just whether those CPU cycles are being used to install the update or stuck in some form of loop.

I hate those spinning balls. ;)

Yep, compared to certain other systems where you can actually see exactly what the update is doing and error messages and warnings if they appear.

For me the 1709 update since it was so big and my home isp is shit it corrupted downloading a lot.

I went somewhere else with cable and it was no problem, maybe same thing?

What other systems? Tell us.

Every other OS available?

OSX provides an update progress indicator, iOS provides an update progress indicator, Android provides an update progress indicator. Spinning balls inform the user of nothing, the user has no idea as to whether those CPU cycles are actually being used to install the update or whether the PC is stuck in some endless loop - Which does happen from time to time.

Every other OS available?

OSX provides an update progress indicator, iOS provides an update progress indicator, Android provides an update progress indicator. Spinning balls inform the user of nothing, the user has no idea as to whether those CPU cycles are actually being used to install the update or whether the PC is stuck in some endless loop - Which does happen from time to time.

It was a rhetorical question directed specifically at him. He knows that, it's why he didn't reply.

Edit: also, in my experience, the Windows Update window displays both a percentage and progress bar for both the download and the install.

It was a rhetorical question directed specifically at him. He knows that, it's why he didn't reply.

Edit: also, in my experience, the Windows Update window displays both a percentage and progress bar for both the download and the install.

Ah, ok.

Windows update eventually shows percentage updated, however it's not uncommon for it to sit at swirling balls for upwards of half an hour, sometimes for many hours and it's very annoying. It's something Microsoft really need to address.

Ah, ok.

Windows update eventually shows percentage updated, however it's not uncommon for it to sit at swirling balls for upwards of half an hour, sometimes for many hours and it's very annoying. It's something Microsoft really need to address.

Imagine if you needed your computer for something business critical and you sit waiting for hours for the update to finish... This combined to the gigantic amount of attacks targeting Windows is the reason I don't consider Windows viable for any business or even home use. With the exception of a dedicated gaming machine.

Reactions: Wild1
like this
and it prob has an error code , find it if u can. there is also a win10 fixme for update. more advances is screwing with the software distribution folder. what does the log say? windowsupdate.log

Back