Windows 10 Is A Free Upgrade For All 7 And 8.1 Users

I'm curious why $100 is to much for an OS that will be supported for years to come? Especially when many games, with a season pass, will cost more than that, and will likely be supported for a much shorter period of time.

This has always been the biggest disconnect with people who build their own machines. Sure they'll pony up $500 for a video cards and $400 for a CPU, but the cost of the operating system that lets them make use of everything for the next 2-3 years is seemingly always too expensive.

I'm curious why $100 is to much for an OS that will be supported for years to come? Especially when many games, with a season pass, will cost more than that, and will likely be supported for a much shorter period of time.

An OS is not as important as it once was. There probably won't be a lot of quantum leaps in performance or features like it used to be in the past, and for most consumable tasks the OS in use is a non issue. Almost everyone else is getting by with free or almost free OS's because they make it up with app store purchases. Microsoft will have to do the same, either through their app store, or by selling you services like Office365. Sure you can go with Gapps or open office, but you can get the Office suite, 1tb of OneDrive, and support for the same price of just storage from almost anyone else.

The amount of Autism in this thread is amazing.

If you UPGRADE from WIN7/8.1 within W10s first year, it is free. If you upgrade after the first year their is a ONE_TIME fee, to upgrade. In both cases there is NO subscription fee.

PS: The phase "at no additional charge" is extremely telling. They are trying to appear magnanimous by not charging for this promotional period, while psychologically preparing consumers for a near-future period when they will charge for support.

Or because people have been starting rumors since the Windows Vista days that the next OS will be the last before they start to charge yearly.

M$ is doing something right. OS upgrades should be free. Then again I have and never will pay for an OS. If Win 10 has that god awful title start button bullshit I'll stick with win 7. It works and pretty happy with it. Win 8 I simply can't deal with. Sure it's fast and snappy but give the users a choice. Old Start button vs Metro Start button.

An OS is not as important as it once was. There probably won't be a lot of quantum leaps in performance or features like it used to be in the past, and for most consumable tasks the OS in use is a non issue. Almost everyone else is getting by with free or almost free OS's because they make it up with app store purchases. Microsoft will have to do the same, either through their app store, or by selling you services like Office365. Sure you can go with Gapps or open office, but you can get the Office suite, 1tb of OneDrive, and support for the same price of just storage from almost anyone else.

Office365 is a pretty decent deal for people, but not everyone has a fast enough network connection to make storing stuff online practical. And then there's transfer caps that can get in the way too so there's some value for someone in using LibreOffice and just keeping their stuff locally.

Okay so I'm actually watching. They are being vague on this purposely. The screen shot was inrefference to how it was spoken. "In the first year of windows 10's release..." The upgrade will be free the first year of it's release, marking a time window. Why was not given. I'm thinking There will be windows 10 and beyond for windows as a service. That beyond is the subscription. Perahps you'll always have the released code.

No, the slide was being used with a person talking so, we do not have all the things that the person said, just a slide. :rolleyes: Also, if you notice, it also has Windows Phone 8.1 and they will not be pushing a subscription based OS on their phones either. But, people believe what they want in absence of evidence.

Also, if you notice, it also has Windows Phone 8.1 and they will not be pushing a subscription based OS on their phones either.

This is the thing that makes me wonder what so many in this thread are thinking. If Microsoft intends for Windows 10 to go on their mobile devices, how exactly does anyone think they'll get away with charging for something the competition gives away for free? Especially when most of the market has already said "We like the competition's product better than yours" and Microsoft has an uphill battle to win?

FREE FOR THE FIRST YEAR.

Um. So, NOT Free. Most likely a subscription service. Count me out, if they do that.

FREE UPGRADE FOR THE FIRST YEAR. After that, upgrades will be a cost, whatever that will be but not a subscription.

I ain't doing it, MS can roll up the subscription model and shove it up their ass.
Windows 7 gives out on me, I am going Zorin OS if its still alive, and whatever programs I can use there.
Enough bullshit with the monthly/yearly milking you slowly crap, I am sick of it.

There is no subscription model so I guess they will not be shoving anything up anywhere. :rolleyes:

Speaking of those who can't read -- you do understand what "something-something AS A SERVICE" means, yes? It's usually tied to a recurring fee. And Microsoft isn't unique here, that's the industry trend right now, the big "X As a Service" goldrush already underway.

Seems like Microsoft is doing everything but outright stating there will be no subscription fee or components with Windows 10. If they aren't being intentionally vague, they need to clarify ASAP before the blogosphere runs away with this.

You did read where it says no additional charge right?

The amount of Autism in this thread is amazing.

If you UPGRADE from WIN7/8.1 within W10s first year, it is free. If you upgrade after the first year their is a ONE_TIME fee, to upgrade. In both cases there is NO subscription fee.

It's not autism, it's lack of trust. Really, if someone like Valve had said this, we would (or, at least, I would) be saying, "Oh, cool, a free upgrade." But because this is Microsoft, we're endlessly parsing what was said, because there's perception that they're trying to pull a fast one on us.

This has always been the biggest disconnect with people who build their own machines. Sure they'll pony up $500 for a video cards and $400 for a CPU, but the cost of the operating system that lets them make use of everything for the next 2-3 years is seemingly always too expensive.

Yeah, it ironic how often I see someone who has, or is building, a $3-4000 PC complain about the $100 cost of a Windows license.

How do you figure? The OS is what allows all your other stuff, both hardware and software to function, and do so in a user friendly fashion.

Who are all these others that are getting by with a free, or almost free desktop OS? Especially since last I knew Apple OS's are about the same price as MS's. Sure there is Linux but as they say, you get what you pay for and Linux isn't exactly known for being user friendly.

From Mary Jo Foley @ ZDNet:

Here's more from Myerson's January 21 blog post on what users should expect if they go with the free upgrade to Windows 10:

"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device - at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We'll deliver new features when they're ready, not waiting for the next major release."

During a Q&A after the keynote, CEO Satya Nadella told reporters that looking at Windows as a service doesn't imply any changes in Microsoft's business model. Windows as a service is all about how Microsoft services Windows, moving forward, and not about how it plans to charge for it or how it will work with its partners.

-----

Ok. Much better...!

It's not autism, it's lack of trust. Really, if someone like Valve had said this, we would (or, at least, I would) be saying, "Oh, cool, a free upgrade." But because this is Microsoft, we're endlessly parsing what was said, because there's perception that they're trying to pull a fast one on us.

Actually I write much of it off to being a simple case of MS being damned if they do and damned if they don't, since many will try and twist anything Microsoft does into an evil scheme.

Actually I write much of it off to being a simple case of MS being damned if they do and damned if they don't, since many will try and twist anything Microsoft does into an evil scheme.

Except there's precedent for Microsoft using vague language and there usually being a reason behind it. See Xbox One announcement disaster which was just full of these vague statements. And then when they were pressed they finally had to show their cards as controversy grew.

From Mary Jo Foley @ ZDNet:

Here's more from Myerson's January 21 blog post on what users should expect if they go with the free upgrade to Windows 10:

"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device - at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We'll deliver new features when they're ready, not waiting for the next major release."

During a Q&A after the keynote, CEO Satya Nadella told reporters that looking at Windows as a service doesn't imply any changes in Microsoft's business model. Windows as a service is all about how Microsoft services Windows, moving forward, and not about how it plans to charge for it or how it will work with its partners.

-----

Ok. Much better...!

Windows as a service is all about how Microsoft services Windows, moving forward, and not about how it plans to charge for it or how it will work with its partners.

cable tv is a service, my phone, or my internet are those services free? OR they will force everyone to sign up for skydrive, personally I think this is what will happen.

Ironically i trust valve a whole hell of a lot less than most other companies. Clearly you havent had to deal with their bullshit servers on the likes of Dota, Steam is not the godsend people here make it out to be. In fact, idk why anyone wants HL3 with the crap theyve put out over the past few years

Ironically i trust valve a whole hell of a lot less than most other companies. Clearly you havent had to deal with their bullshit servers on the likes of Dota, Steam is not the godsend people here make it out to be. In fact, idk why anyone wants HL3 with the crap theyve put out over the past few years

Or Valve's customer support, of which their is none.

Office365 is a pretty decent deal for people, but not everyone has a fast enough network connection to make storing stuff online practical. And then there's transfer caps that can get in the way too so there's some value for someone in using LibreOffice and just keeping their stuff locally.

All i'm just saying is that you get a lot more for your money than with others. There's always going to be some people who they don't make a dime from, but bundles like that, or the one that they tested over Christmas which basically was Office bundled with Xbox Music,Live and skype will win a lot of people over. Every road does not have to end with windows being a yearly subscription, if they bundle other services right.

Yeah, it ironic how often I see someone who has, or is building, a $3-4000 PC complain about the $100 cost of a Windows license.

How do you figure? The OS is what allows all your other stuff, both hardware and software to function, and do so in a user friendly fashion.

Who are all these others that are getting by with a free, or almost free desktop OS? Especially since last I knew Apple OS's are about the same price as MS's. Sure there is Linux but as they say, you get what you pay for and Linux isn't exactly known for being user friendly.

Apple was charging $30 for several years for upgrades. The last couple have been free.

And look at Chromebooks. Sure they aren't a major threat, but sales have been decent enough to notice. you also have Android tablets, and ipads and so forth.

A perfect example is the HP stream, and those puck like desktops they have for $200. The only way it's possible is because Microsoft isn't charging for the OS because it's being subsidized with Bing additions (that you can change if you like)

I don't understand why so many people are analyzing and nitpicking every word from Microsoft.

For the first year Windows 10 is released it will be a free upgrade for current 7, 8, 8.1. After that year if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 you will have to purchase it, its that simple. Why is this so hard to understand? There is no subscription model mentioned or even hinted anywhere so calm down.

Probably the same people that jumped on the "Windows 8/8.1 is terrible" bandwagon without even trying it.

$20 says the "free" upgrades are for end users only. It seems doubtful that MS is stupid enough to give away free upgrades for the bazillion or so Win 7 corporate/enterprise licenses.

For the first year Windows 10 is released it will be a free upgrade for current 7, 8, 8.1. After that year if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 you will have to purchase it, its that simple. Why is this so hard to understand? There is no subscription model mentioned or even hinted anywhere so calm down.

I Agree. I think it will be a free upgrade. MS has implemented a similar strategy in the past. When Window 8 was released, price of upgrade was $14.99.

$20 says the "free" upgrades are for end users only. It seems doubtful that MS is stupid enough to give away free upgrades for the bazillion or so Win 7 corporate/enterprise licenses.

It's already been discussed.

Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

If you were paying for software assurance, you were covered anyways, as long as it didn't expire before 10 comes out.

Because Microsoft has mentioned in the past moving to a subscription based system for software (both OS and Office)?

Am I the only one who thinks a subscription based model (as long as it is reasonably priced) wouldn't be a terrible thing.

I mean, if instead of buying a license every 5 years for $139, you paid $2.50 per month or something, it wouldn't be terrible.

Because Microsoft has mentioned in the past moving to a subscription based system for software (both OS and Office)?

Microsoft has never publicly ever said anything about a subscription model for client Windows. I'm sure they've thought about but there's just no way for that to work.

Zarathustra[H];1041375395 said:
I mean, if instead of buying a license every 5 years for $139, you paid $2.50 per month or something, it wouldn't be terrible.

If you got to keep the version you were on then that might work. But the truth is that the vast majority of Windows users get it with their devices and never upgrade. So any kind of money going to pay for Windows I just don't see being feasible in that it's money few ever paid before.

Yeah I'm not interested in a subscription based O/S.

I will start warning friends and family now, ahead of time to stick with Windows 7.

I really doesn't matter if I am wrong or right, with Microsoft, it's always smart to be pro-active in avoiding the mess that their products have become.

Sounds good, no mention if the upgrade has to be within the flavor.

home, pro and ultimate unless 10 will not have such flavors, just OEM and retail.

Zarathustra[H];1041375395 said:

In short term. there is no issue. MS could increase the subscription rate like phone company.

home, pro and ultimate unless 10 will not have such flavors, just OEM and retail.

Yea was wondering about this.... more so about Windows 7...

If I had win 7 basic, im guessing its still eligible since its Windows 7 as they plainly described about upgrading.

That's probably how it will work, you'll get a free upgrade to the corresponding version of Windows 10. You'd have to pay to go to from Basic to Pro or Pro to Enterprise.

Back