Will there be an Xbox One+ or PS4+ with upgraded hardware?

SonicTron

Snopes is My Fact Checker
Just a thought. Since the systems are x86 and built upon standard graphics tech, don't you think that MS and Sony will release some sort of "plus" systems with higher stats and then have publishers release games with a "high quality" mode that activates only with one of the newer systems?

I would be interested in a future of console tech that was indefinitely backwards compatible. Basically an HTPC platform that is accessible to all and future proof.

That would completely defeat the purpose of consoles. Older consoles came out with superior hardware in later generations and purposely underclocked them to keep compatibility. The best I can see happening is a very short lifespan for these consoles, having the next generation coming out in 2017-2018.

I completely agree with Nytegard, but would add that the new version will be compatible with the last versions games since it is x86.

I highly doubt many game publishers would release anything new without trying to earn a buck for it, aka "Complete" or "Anniversary" versions of prior titles that also include all of the DLC.

Nope. Alienating early adopters of the original consoles would only cause a lot of uproar. As others have mentioned, they're better off just releasing "new" consoles a couple years earlier than previous generations.

Yar, not really seeing this happening anytime soon, but I'd definitely support a quicker hardware refresh cycle.

Something like:

Ensure backward compatibility with old software (and forward compatibility for at least a future hardware refresh or two), and a decent trade-in program for old hardware.

As long as Sony dominates Microsoft Im ok.

You do not want a world or universe where Microsoft is good at anything. Everything would be low performance, micro transactions, etc. Basically less for more and well behind the technical curve. Anytime Microsoft got good at something, better it was because the market forced them to do so.

I'd look for a physical refresh, maybe some swapped out parts, but no performance change.

No.

Consoles are not like handhelds where a little bit better makes a big differences. Consoles have 8GB of ram and 8 core CPU's, what more do you need? Even if they did release consoles with better specs developers would make games that only work on both versions.

Won't happen for the Xbone, because according to Xbox division execs that left the company, it was already decided before it even launched that it would be the company's last console. They've quietly been shopping for a buyer and just dropped the Xbox branding from Windows 10 in the latest build. Theyll keep it going for appearances meantime but don't expect another Xbox from MS.

True that. Consoles aren't profitable hardware wise for them. Don't see them rushing out another gen very quickly. After the first year or two they start making their money on it and it takes time so don't expect a new console gen anytime soon. A refresh may happen that's more efficient and slimmer like we've seen in the past. But I wouldn't count on it.

If they did this, I think I would stop buying consoles...that is an Apple approach to business, maybe because of greed for money, and people are dumb enough to buy new "upgrades" every year.

Won't happen for the Xbone, because according to Xbox division execs that left the company, it was already decided before it even launched that it would be the company's last console. They've quietly been shopping for a buyer and just dropped the Xbox branding from Windows 10 in the latest build. Theyll keep it going for appearances meantime but don't expect another Xbox from MS.

Source? First I've heard of this.

They had better not. Kind of defeats the whole advantage consoles have in a unified set of hardware.

They'll do a slim and energy efficient version but nothing that gives a performance upgrade over the standard model.

Nope, that question comes up all the time every generation here.

It would piss off developers, publishers and consumers.

It's an interesting thought, but there isn't a gross need for it.

The current consoles, PS4 especially, have a lot of power. Pumping up the hardware is a brute force band-aid for two deeper problem: compressed dev cycles and inadequate APIs and dev tools.

Those last two things will get better, in time. Compressed dev cycles have been worse than ever.

However, x86 architecture and GPUs based heavily on existing architectures means that backward compatiblity with the next conoles is highly likely, if they keep a similar design plan. Something like 80% compatibility with minimal bugs is probably a decent expectation. And they could issue compatibility patches for games which just don't work or maybe had hardware specific optimizations which need to be translated to the newer hardware.

Last edited:
Never. Ever. EVER.. EVVVVEEER.

The cost is too high and the audience would dump both console brands in a heart beat. Sega has tried this and it fails every single time.

They are stuck with mediocre hardware for the generation. Meanwhile PC's will probably be able to create closed timelike curves by the time the next gen consoles release...

Actually , there won't be a next gen consoles actually. It'll all be cloud based where hardware upgrades can be made without having to pay $500 for a new and slightly faster console.

I'm standing my ground on my prediction : This is the last generation of physical consoles. Next gen is all cloud with a cheap unit encoder and a controller. It won't happen overnight but in 8 years the net could very well support it. I mean who would have ever thought 33 percent of all net traffic is dedicated to Netflix streaming 1080p now? Its possible.

Won't happen. Typically the cycle is 5-6 years anyways.

That would be extremely dumb of Microsoft. It is the one Microsoft product that the general population doesn't hate. It has a well known name/reputation among the average person. It even provides a Microsoft device in the living room (outside of Microsoft's transitional areas). I would be surprised if they sold it.

APRIL FOOLS!

X86 doesn't do anything to promote upgradeablitiy. As long as they use the same architecture they can maintain comparability - if they want.

Like others have said, I don't think they want to and sounds like a poor business decision.

The only thing I've "heard" is that there may be a PS4 that supports HDMI 2.0 and outputs 4k for movie playback, not games, down the road.

The only thing I've "heard" is that there may be a PS4 that supports HDMI 2.0 and outputs 4k for movie playback, not games, down the road.

They could do 4k 30 video now they will never game at 4k. Don't need HDMI 2.0 for that. HDMI 2.0 adds 4K 60 and 4K 3D and dual video streams

Back