Will the RTX-5xxx series have a brand new power connector?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Curious, with the big issues back when the RTX-4090 launched and the power connector issues, any word or details if nVidia plans a whole new different type of power connector for the 5xxx series coming out this Fall?

Didn't the 12V-2x6 connector resolve a lot of the problem? Honest question, I really don't know.

In any case, I've yet to work with this connector, fortunately. In my opinion, we do need a connector solution that can drive this wattage given how power hungry GPUs are getting, if for no other reason than better cable management. Simply going back to three 8-pin connectors is not a great solution. On the other hand, this connector is garbage and needs a fundamental redesign. If there are this many problems with it, it no longer falls under "user error" and falls under "engineering failure". I'd rather not buy a card with it until I know the problem is actually fixed, not just a band-aid solution while ignoring the fundamental problems with the design.

My bet is on the insurance companies to change that standard.
As history has shown the first refusal of payment for a burned down house because of that connector beeing used, will usually do the trick.

Didn't the 12V-2x6 connector resolve a lot of the problem? Honest question, I really don't know.

In any case, I've yet to work with this connector, fortunately. In my opinion, we do need a connector solution that can drive this wattage given how power hungry GPUs are getting, if for no other reason than better cable management. Simply going back to three 8-pin connectors is not a great solution. On the other hand, this connector is garbage and needs a fundamental redesign. If there are this many problems with it, it no longer falls under "user error" and falls under "engineering failure". I'd rather not buy a card with it until I know the problem is actually fixed, not just a band-aid solution while ignoring the fundamental problems with the design.
Roman did suggest using two of the new connector as a way of upping safety/reliability. We'll see.

B-b-b-but, GamersNexus swears it's user error!

B-b-b-but, GamersNexus swears it's user error!

I mean I'm sure Nvidia does as well. The bottom line is if your product has that many "user errors" resulting in catastrophic failure, then you have a fundamental problem with the design. It should not be that difficult to securely seat a connector.

I mean I'm sure Nvidia does as well. The bottom line is if your product has that many "user errors" resulting in catastrophic failure, then you have a fundamental problem with the design. It should not be that difficult to securely seat a connector.
As Roman showed, with the connector fully seated, just moving it side to side created a "red light" scenario on the RoG board. It's fully seated, yet minor wiggling causes problems.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fW5SLFphU

IMHO, they will "double down" on the 12VHPWR connector.... pride.....

Well the reviewer is literally saying it would be safer to do 2x of those cables instead of 1x because of the likelihood of failure.

The real problem is that the 4090 is such an extreme power hog at 600w peak power.

Remember when 2x PCIE-8 pin was enough to power any video card? Only the extreme models needed 3x PCIE-8.

Nvida tried to make a more 'elegant' solution with this 12v cable but the problem is a lot of failures and cables and/or adapters burning.

Wonder if it would be possible to rework just the male end of the connector to prevent partial seating. Then PSU and GPUs are unchanged and it's just a drop-in cable replacement. Pinout and profile would have to stay the same, but clips/locks and other pieces that surround the pins could possibly be changed on male end.

I know if I get a new 5XXX series card, I'm going to invest in one of these too. You know, just incase.
EX.JPG

We fixed the connector issue by using new asbestos fortified connectors.

Nvida tried to make a more 'elegant' solution with this 12v cable but the problem is a lot of failures and cables and/or adapters burning.
PCI-SIG had a ton of companies sign off on the 12VHPWR connector. AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and a lot more that I can't recall. It is (was?) supposed to be the standard, after all. It just happens that Nvidia used it first with the 3090 Ti, and the top end 40 series.

PCI-SIG had a ton of companies sign off on the 12VHPWR connector. AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and a lot more that I can't recall. It is (was?) supposed to be the standard, after all. It just happens that Nvidia used it first with the 3090 Ti, and the top end 40 series.
From day 1, this has sounded to me like a "buy it, fry it, deny it" situation, with everyone involved being responsible for the clusterf*ck that resulted, and they all should be fined at least $25 million each, and the GPU mfgr's paying $100M each, as well as having to replace any & all damaged cards, cables, psu's. mobo's etc....

My view is they'll likely make the 12VHPWR connector more robust and attach than change the entire connection/cord standard. They simply need to make the connection more secure, and easier to tell if it's not seated correctly.

Back