Will Skylake be a big leap forward?

Memory will be terrible at beginnig like it was when first ddr 3 vs ddr 2. But as time goes by timing will improve with binning. There's not a ddr2 set I would trade for my ddr 3 and I had some of the best stuff. Not that it really matters anymore unless your in competition

At this point, DDR4 isn't such a big deal anymore.

DDR has kind of been irrelevant since DDR2, the last big upgrade that was noticeable memory wise other than adding raw capacity.

Couldn't tell you the difference between DDR2 > DDR3, but I sure as hell remember going from DDR1 > DDR2 or SDRAM > DDR1.

At this point DDR4+ is strictly to impress enterprise/server customers. With stacked die's, speed increases, and less power it only makes sense.

DDR has kind of been irrelevant since DDR2, the last big upgrade that was noticeable memory wise other than adding raw capacity.

Couldn't tell you the difference between DDR2 > DDR3, but I sure as hell remember going from DDR1 > DDR2 or SDRAM > DDR1.

At this point DDR4+ is strictly to impress enterprise/server customers. With stacked die's, speed increases, and less power it only makes sense.

The real reason for this is everyone compares the last version of the previous memory standard to the first version of the next memory standard.

DDR
1,600MB/s to 3,200MB/s
100mhz to 200mhz

DDR2
3,200MB/s to 8,500MB/s
200mhz to 533mhz

DDR3
6,400MB/s to 24,800MB/s
400mhz to 1550mhz

DDR4
17,066MB/s to ....(27,200MB/s currently)
1066mhz to ....(1700mhz currently)

So you can see each memory standard basically picks up where the last one ends, but is designed for more head room, eventually the new standard ends up being far faster than the previous because of the architectural changes. But switching from the most mature DDR3 tech to the earliest DDR4 tech isn't going to be a huge win.

WOW. Thanks very much for linking these articles. All of a sudden it looks like the huge iGPU gains in Skylake are going to meaningfully impact game performance, even with a dGPU in the system. This is huge news! I wonder why people aren't talking about this more?

Well, imho it's because.. if you believe this.. i have an eiffeltower to sell you..

Well, imho it's because.. if you believe this.. i have an eiffeltower to sell you..

Due to a lack of information/benchmarks using DX12, I'll just quote a military giant from WWII: I know nothing.

I really hope that skylake will OC as high as my 2500k. I want a new build, I want to go smaller (mITX) and I want more RAM. usb 3.1, PCIe 3.0 and m.2, wireless ac
USB3.1 will take years, M.2 is so over priced! :eek:

I'd like to see a company actually release a ddr3 skylake motherboard. Latest rumors/discussion point towards it probably not happening.

I bet the price gouging on release will be super high, probably more than what it would cost for a 5820 setup.

If you are forced to use ddr4 [and pay the premium], why choose skylake over a 5820? Only reason I can think of is if the average overclock window is high.

When more systems use DDR4 instead of incredibly overpriced, niche systems then you will start to see a downward trend in DDR4 pricing.

Skylake overclocking under Prime95 is looking up.

I'm on Sandy Bridge. I will upgrade for Skylake. I may not 100% need to, but it's time.

Yes. I am on Sandy Bridge too. i3770k @ 4.4GHz. I just started having trouble with my motherboard (I think it is, either that or 980Ti, not sure). At any rate, I think it's time.

There are bound to be Skylake SLI motherboards that take both DDR3/DDR4, correct? I'd like to be able to edge into DDR4. DDR4 is bound to be expensive when it's first available.

Yes. I am on Sandy Bridge too. i3770k @ 4.4GHz. I just started having trouble with my motherboard (I think it is, either that or 980Ti, not sure). At any rate, I think it's time.

There are bound to be Skylake SLI motherboards that take both DDR3/DDR4, correct? I'd like to be able to edge into DDR4. DDR4 is bound to be expensive when it's first available.

DDR4 has already been availabe for awhile now. The price of DDR4 has actually already dropped signficantly. While it is still more expensive than DDR3L as DDR3 prices have also dropped in the last half year the premium is not that high anymore.

I hate to be that guy..but a 3770k is a Ivy Bridge. ;)

I hate to be that guy..but a 3770k is a Ivy Bridge. ;)

dNLPd.gif

:D

Seriously though - I feel now is time to flip my 3770k / Z77 combo for a newer platform.

To me personally, the value window for the 6/7 series platforms is getting close to that point where you won't realistically be able to flip your 6/7 series board/cpu for the amount necessary to cover the cost of a newer platform refresh to a 9 series (or maybe even 8).

If it does 5ghz+ on decent voltage I may grab one.

I am hearing rumblings of 4.7 to 4.9 under heavy loads at not crazy voltages. Managing heat loads is looking good.

Y'all still hanging on to the 2500/25600K will likely find that it is time to make the jump finally. And honestly, the only reason I am not still on my 2600K is to keep up with technology since I have to understand and write about it and using it personally makes that a lot easier, this would probably be the series I upgraded with.

Do we have a basic consolidated list of architectural changes we're lookin at over the 2600k line? I know there's some solid iterative gains for Skylake in IPC and a few other areas, but haven't really gotten too many tangible details.

Do we have a basic consolidated list of architectural changes we're lookin at over the 2600k line? I know there's some solid iterative gains for Skylake in IPC and a few other areas, but haven't really gotten too many tangible details.

What really matters is that we have seen basically 7 to 10% IPC increase every architecture change since then (Sandy Bridge - Ivy Bridge - Haswell - Skylake). So that is a pretty good add up since 2500/2600 days. Good power saving / temp drops on these 14nm chips too.

I am looking to build a new gaming PC this month and plan on going with an i7-5820K, is there any reason to wait for Skylake?

Hopefully Skylake-E will follow the trend. That'll be my next upgrade platform, if my current x58 holds out till then.

I am looking to build a new gaming PC this month and plan on going with an i7-5820K, is there any reason to wait for Skylake?

You don't really think you need a Haswell E for gaming. Skylake will run a lot cooler, likely give you better stable overclocks, and ~10% better IPC. If I was building now, I would go Skylake unless you have specific needs for extra PCIe lanes or other benefits for connectivity.

Skylake is two generations of IPC improvement over the 5820k.

Haswell...Broadwell...Skylake

When I put up a post in the general hardware section about building a new gaming PC I originally was going to use an Intel Core i7-5960X since I saw it on many review sites but was told to go with the 5820K to save money.

What do you suggest? I am not a CPU expert at all.

BTW Here is my proposed build.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1865633

EDIT My new proposed rig is in the next post

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

I want to build a powerhouse 4K gaming rig . Here is what I was planning on using

Motherboard + CPU bundle MSI X99S GAMING 7 + i7-5820K
GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme 699.99 X 2
RAM Crucial Ballistix Sport 32 GB (4x8 GB) DDR4 PC4-19200 269.99
SSD Intel 400GB 750 Series HHHL PCIe 3.0 x4 NVM Express 379
CPU cooller EVO 212 33.99

PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K ($389.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition ($226.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti ZT-90503-10P ($648.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card #2: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti ZT-90503-10P ($648.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 400GB 750 Series SSDPEDMW400G4R5 ($389.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 ($26.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2,601.84
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

Thanks for that.

My question is should I pull the trigger and buy that NOW or wait for Skylake (since I have waited years already) Is another couple of months going to make enough difference on a pure gaming rig.

Thanks

I don't say this often, but you might wait. You might be more impressed with Skylake than you think, and honestly, for gaming, even with SLI, the "limited" PCIe lanes are not going to be holding those cards back on a good motherboard.

Probably the only thing I'd recommend doing is getting a large SATA3 based SSD for a pure gaming rig.

Skylake-K for single gpu, a X99 is still a major advantage for SLI/multigpu.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABt8bHgDHo

At 4k with newer games and 980ti SLI you are looking at a 20-30% gap in performance between quad core haswell and hex core haswell at same frequencies. Skylake at 7-10% improvement won't close that gap in multigpu gaming so advanatage still goes to 5820k.

I like it when Kyle chimes in with his thoughts. :D Appreciate it! Lets hope the wife allows me an upgrade this year as we are saving for a house!

Thanks again. While I still have your attention I noticed you made changes to the motherboard, SSD, and GPU. Was that done to save money or do you prefer those choices? I only ask because I have $5,000 burning a hole in my pocket and am willing to spend it for max performance.

Just my quick thoughts as to what might make sense to me.

This is just a quick build I did.

PC Hound Part List - Hound-O-Matic (Alpha) Results

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K ($339.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ($204.99 @ TigerDirect)
Memory: G.SKILL 32GB (4 x 8GB) Ripjaws X Series ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti GTX 980TI GAMING 6G ($679.95 @ NCIX US)
Video Card #2: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti GTX 980TI GAMING 6G ($679.95 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 860W Platinum SS-860XP2 ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 1.2TB 750 Series SSDPEDMW012T4R5 ($1045.49 @ TigerDirect)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 FD-CA-DEF-R5-BK ($89.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i GTX H100i GTX ($111.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3,511.32
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

I have an i7 920. This will be the time I upgrade.

Its only because I feel like I need to, but this thing is a beast on its own. Though it will mean I have two of them mwhahahha!

Back