Wii disc read errors

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
I just picked up a Wii at Best Buy a couple days ago. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but there's a problem. About 1/3 of the time I try to load a game, the Wii disc reader starts clicking and then the Wii goes to a black screen with white lettering telling me theres a disc read error and to eject the disc, turn off the Wii, and check owners manual... blah blah blah. It's done this on Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Brunswick Bowling (the only games I have at the moment).

Anyone else experienced this? I'd just take it back to BB, but they don't have anymore in stock, so I'll have to go searching for someplace that actually has one if I go that route. I was thinking of calling Nintendo, but I'm afraid they'll just send me a refurb, which doesn't seem like a fair trade with my 2 day old Wii.

Same thing happened to my bro-in-law's Wii.

Call Nintendo. I don't think they send out refurbs, as far as I know they'll send you a brand new Wii straight away - they'll only charge you for it if you don't return the faulty console.

Same thing happened to my bro-in-law's Wii.

Call Nintendo. I don't think they send out refurbs, as far as I know they'll send you a brand new Wii straight away - they'll only charge you for it if you don't return the faulty console.

Ok, I'll give Nintendo a call. It's worth a shot.

Nintendo's tech support is amongst the best I've ever dealt with, and I know a lot of people would agree - I'm sure they'll sort it out for you. Let us know how you get on.

Strangely enough, after calling Nintendo, they recommended that I disconnect the power to the Wii and wait a bit, then reconnect it... and I haven't had any problems since. I really didn't think pulling the power was going to fix it. I'm still kind of skeptical, but at this point it's worked through 10 disc insertions without an error so I can't argue.

I will update if the problem returns, but at this point consider it solved. Yay! :)

Nintendo's tech support is amongst the best I've ever dealt with, and I know a lot of people would agree - I'm sure they'll sort it out for you. Let us know how you get on.

Yup, I can attest to their excellent customer service.

If the problem persists, you shouldn't have any issues getting it resolved. My launch unit decided to stop reading discs while I was in the middle of Super Paper Mario. I called Nintendo's support, and about five days later I had my Wii up and running.

Yup, I can attest to their excellent customer service.

If the problem persists, you shouldn't have any issues getting it resolved. My launch unit decided to stop reading discs while I was in the middle of Super Paper Mario. I called Nintendo's support, and about five days later I had my Wii up and running.

Did they cross ship you a new one?

I try to read and follow the instructions available on forum, but no success. However I Google
for "Wii diyplans" the first link came up was for Wii Repair Guide, purchased it using Paypal and downloaded instantly, its an eBook in PDF Format, it helped me to resolve this problem.
Thanks for all your help anyways.

Agreed. Nintendo really takes care of their customers like few others.

I know this thread is old as crap but since it was revived I'd also like to point out that you might also consider buying a Wii cleaning kit if your having problems with reading games. My Wii lens got dirty but the cleaning kit fixed it so now it reads all my games except the ones that are scratched baldly.

Since someone revived my 3 year old post I might as well chime in....

I've had no further problems with my Wii since that initial disc read issue. I had forgotten I even made this thread.

Back