Why isn't Win2K recognizing my 2nd CPU?

I just moved my Win2K setup to a different motherboard & CPU, which has 2 P3 700's(sucky I know). But Win2K(professional) doesn't recognize CPU #2, nor dors WCPUID. Do I need to re-install to have it recognize the second CPU?

Win2K Pro supports 2 CPUs, right?

Yes, Win2K supports 2 CPUs. I'd do a reinstall if it doens't see it.
I read that when you install it, it installs the kernel for the type of system it sees.

You probably need to reinstall Win2K to get it to change the HAL kernel from 1cpu to 2cpu mode.

I think it is possible to change it without reinstalling but with this kind of change a reinstall wil also make sure all your drivers are also changed so will be more stable in the long run.

If you want to try changeing the HAL get a mod to move this to the SMP forum.

Luck.......:D

You don’t need to do a reinstall. Right click on my computer, and go to Manage, then click on device manager, and Computer. It should say something like "ACPI uniproceser pc". From there right click and click on "update drivers. You will need your Win2k disk for this. From the update driver menu click on "install from specific location" and select "don't search I will chose driver to install" and click next. From that menu select "ACPI multi processor pc" or "MPS Multiprocessor PC". You will need to restart and you will be good to go with 2 cpus installed.

stefan231:

Exactly... Couldn't say it better myself! :) It's about the HAL and it's all a matter of updating it to reflect the changed configuration. ;)

Cool, have to remember that one. Makes life a bit easier.

WS6

this question has been answered many times over at 2cpu's forum located at www.2cpu.com (click on the forum link at the top of the page) and the search works great over there, plus i think they are going to add it to the FAQ's soon. and i have upgraded many machines (at least 25) from 1 cpu to dual (or 4 in 2 cases) and never had to reinstall the os, just upgraded the hal to multi in win2k, and winxp pro will see this change on its own, and grab the correct hal. I was impresed with that in winxp.

if you need more help or have any questions, let me know either here or at www.2cpu.com (the two main forums i hang out at)

Dagamore with more smp then i should have for a home users :p

personally - i would fresh format - i would never take an HD out of one system and put it inot another with totally diff chipsets and other items - just sitting their waiting for future problems.

how ever there are people who dont experience any.

Originally posted by Mr.Guvernment
personally - i would fresh format - i would never take an HD out of one system and put it inot another with totally diff chipsets and other items - just sitting their waiting for future problems.
Oh, I'm totally with you on that... Duallies are smooth, but nothing beats that freshly installed crispiness. :p

yeah, upgrading the HAL is fine for going from single to dual cpu. however, what is NOT fine is plunking a hard drive from 1 system into a totally different one. so in the end the answer is no, one does not need to reinstall to upgrade from 1 proc to 2, but YOU DO.

Back