Why is Lian Li cases so expensive?

acee

Gawd
So, i've been browsing around. I always wanted to know the answer to the topic. All computer stores or online I see them going for $99+ (excluding newegg as I'm in Canada). Even though $99 isn't THAT much for a case but for just a plain looking one.. like this one

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19013&vpn=PC-7B PLUS II&manufacture=LIAN-LI

is going for that much!

Is it their air flow or the materials that is so much different than other brands such as Antec or Thermaltake cases?

I used that case for a clients build a few months ago. You are paying for the materials and craftmanship.
It is a well built all aluminum case.

my current case is really bland looking (looks like a small minifridge) and it cost me $230 shipped (no PSU) a couple of years ago.
case6.jpg

man that looks like a big game cube haha
well i understand the texture and material now.. but hows the airflow in these things? How does it circular through the case? Any diagrams?

I'm asking this because I'm planning to replace my Antec900 soon and since I want to upgrade to a VERY top of the line case. I'm leaning towards Lian Li cases

you pay for....

the name
the reputation

there are alot of good cases out there.. i never liked the lian li cases personally too many vent holes, but you cant escape from that these days. i pretty much only buy coolermaster cases, though their not cheap either.. but i always airbrush my cases so..... i like their surfaces a little better :) check my sig /google it for the case im using.

The airflow isn't really anything special, but you may want to check one out in the flesh. They are unbelievably light, extremely well built, and the aluminum looks superb. Oh, I used to have an old steel mid tower case, the Aerocool Aeroengine 2. 38 lbs fully loaded.
Now, my PC A05B, fully loaded - 23 lbs.

One thing that took me by shock the first day I got my case, was the side panels.
I unscrewed the thumbscrews and slid the panel off, and the way it slid off; the snugness, the fit and the finish was incredible.

They are worth double what they sell for IMO.

They are priced very fairly for what they are. Take a look at Silverstone, Antec, Thermaltake,etc., those are overpriced for what you get. Antec sells cheaply-built cases with lots of plastic and inexpensive steel and prices them just as high as the low-mid end Lian Lis. Same with Thermaltake. SS you probably do get what you pay for, although similar models to Lian Lis are more expensive.

They are priced very fairly for what they are. Take a look at Silverstone, Antec, Thermaltake,etc., those are overpriced for what you get. Antec sells cheaply-built cases with lots of plastic and inexpensive steel and prices them just as high as the low-mid end Lian Lis. Same with Thermaltake. SS you probably do get what you pay for, although similar models to Lian Lis are more expensive.

great your making my Antec 900 seem like a piece of crap haha :rolleyes:
well base on the research I did on their site.. they are very well built from the materials they use. Almost like how samsung uses their very own screens when making plasma TV's while LG, Toshiba uses China made screens. I can now see the difference. I'm planning to get one very soon but I dunno which one to get! I do want that 2 level space(top is motherboard while bottom is PSU and harddrives) that Lian Li has. But so expensive :( $285 here as they ARE full towers.

I also love their design! Those 4 stainless steels rollers on the bottom of the case makes it look superb

There really is no innovation with their cooling. Most cases are the same. Buy a case for looks as that's what you will be looking at everyday.

Whatever cooling you use will probably be more dependant on your own equipment and whatever you put in there.

The only substantial difference is if you go for the now dead BTX style cases.

ive got my v1200 plus 2 and my temps dropped 10C from my old centurion 5 :eek:

As said, Lian Li holds reputation for design and quality.

The difference between LL and SS is that LL actually has decently priced cases. The A05B, PC65B and PC7B (probably the best one out there for Lian Li) are all priced at $100-150. Sure its plain... but its an underestimation factor. I find Lian Li's are what people who build their own computers should really be doing. Its the difference between a Rolls Royce and a Mazda RX7 FD3S with a billion body kits and a muffler that shows off how stock your engine is. We're classy, the nubs aren't.

Sure, you could get a V1000/1200 for $260. Those are even better. From what I've seen, the inside is polished (not brushed) aluminium, it has caster wheels with locks, and a nice design.

I picked my pc-71 up for around 350$ CAD 3-4 years ago. I love the all black, minimal look, I couldn't ask for a better design. I don't see how $99 is expensive for a decent case.

pc71220ui9.jpg

I paid over $300 after shipping and taxes for my V1200, and I have absolutely no regrets. It's flawless by design.

My old case was a Thermaltake Shark (£85.00) and now I have the V1000B (£130.00).

Whereas the only decent piece of aluminium on the Shark was the front door, the whole thing about the V1000B screams quality for me... moreso than the extra £45.00 I paid over the Shark would suggest.

Lets see... A list in no particular order:
  1. Very thick aluminum sidepanneling
  2. Side pannels actually fit perfectly, and use intelligent locking mechanisms
  3. NO RIVETS for inside components... Everything uses threaded screws
  4. Usually comes with lots of extras...
  5. A lot more substantial than other cases... Case subflooring, reinforced aluminum motherboard panel etc.
  6. Gorgeous finishes
  7. Lots of aftermarket accessories and products
  8. no sharp edges, everything comes trimmed or rubberized
  9. Tasteful designs... No hideous blinged out UV monstrosities.
  10. Nice power switches ;)

Amongst other things.

because their shit doesn't stink...duh!

for real though... their cases are probably some of the best around thats why

wow maybe I should start searching around for some. I might plan to get a V1000+ series. I do want the nicer one that is around $250-$350 but don't have that kind of money at the moment :p

Lian Li has high quality but I don't think their cases could be called pretty or attractive.

It's more utilitarian or communist-brutalist architecture styled.

They're amazing cases, I absolutely love my V1100, came from a PC-65B which lasted me many builds and many WC projects as well. They're beautiful cases that will long outlast your build and show their quality with every refresh of it's inner components. They have a look that doesn't show age, it's always sleek, clean, classy.

I found it difficult to pay 150$ extra over a P180 for my V1100B+2 and I knew that if I purchased anything other than a Lian-Li that I would be dissapointed and while I still haven't used a P180 for myself, I now wonder how I ever even considered the extra money above another popular case at all a problem for the level of quality and the amount of extras and the just beautiful finish and just everything on this case.

I know however now that once you go Lian-Li, you can't ever go back, there is just nothing that will make the grade. The only other case I ever considered as a replacement for my PC-65B when it was still new was the CoolerMaster ATC-210 (I believe anyway?) It's silver with lots of drive bays and has a nice thin, well done door, at least from the pictures but they're out of production now and they still fetch a pretty penny.

I love my Lian-Li V1100B Plus II.
It's just a beautiful case and when I work with it I feel that everything else has to be up to par with it. I won't purchase sub-par components or riddle myself with case lighting or LED fans because the case itself is good enough looking for all of that. And it's just an amazingly well built case, the door has an awesome ripple finish and just, everything screams quality, the wire routing, the ability to remove each component and customize it to your liking, just awesome.

I liked the quality cases of Antec and the other OEMs but they were so damn heavy. I tried using cheapy cases but the quality is so terrible that they couldn't even handle the trauma of shipping. I went Lian Li because the PC-A16 had 6 expansion slots (I needed 5). Nice case.

I liked the quality cases of Antec and the other OEMs but they were so damn heavy. I tried using cheapy cases but the quality is so terrible that they couldn't even handle the trauma of shipping. I went Lian Li because the PC-A16 had 6 expansion slots (I needed 5). Nice case.

Yeah seriously thats how my computer cases years went by. First I started off with some no brand name cases which look cool but airflow was terrible! Wasted $100 for 2 cases. Then I went with Thermaltake Armor Jr. which lasted me for 3 months because I very dislike the front with the 2 metal panels. Even though I can remove it, it didnt look so nice afterwards. And finally I got the Antec 900 which I'm currently using but the problem with that is the material. Not top notch as Lian Li materials. And I'm starting to dislike side clear window cases haha. I dunno why but I just think its useless and ugly. I rather just have a fan opening instead.

This is the one I really wanna get but it's going for $250 :(
Lian-Li V1100B Plus II.

Yeah seriously thats how my computer cases years went by. First I started off with some no brand name cases which look cool but airflow was terrible! Wasted $100 for 2 cases. Then I went with Thermaltake Armor Jr. which lasted me for 3 months because I very dislike the front with the 2 metal panels. Even though I can remove it, it didnt look so nice afterwards. And finally I got the Antec 900 which I'm currently using but the problem with that is the material. Not top notch as Lian Li materials. And I'm starting to dislike side clear window cases haha. I dunno why but I just think its useless and ugly. I rather just have a fan opening instead.

This is the one I really wanna get but it's going for $250 :(
Lian-Li V1100B Plus II.

I have and absolutely LOVE that case, it's amazing, it's like... perfect.

The door and the ball bearing are very well made, and (some complain about this actually?) the front panel ports are outside the door which is nice because you don't have to have the door open all the time to use front usb or headphone (which I have plugged in like all the time, well, headphone anyway.)

The audio connectors come with both HD-Audio and AC97 style connectors so no matter which you have, they'll work. Which is awesome as most cases come with one or the other.

You will have to remove the panel in the bottom next to the last HD-cage if you plan to use a modular PSU like the Corsair HX520/620 models as I am using, but that's easy to do.

The case is just beautiful, it's very easy to tailor it to your needs. You can move around all the fans easily and they all come with rubber grommets for mounting them to keep the noise down and etc.. just awesome.

The HD cage is one of my favorite parts, the elongated screws for the side of the drive, then you just slide it in and lock it in place, very cool. And of course the case comes with a CD/DVD aluminum cover which works perfectly and really compliments the lines of the case without having to go through the trouble of stealthing your drive.

I paid 250$ at newegg for the case after having to cancel an order for the same case at another cheaper supplier and again realized that I should have just ponied up the extra 30$ to get it at the egg instead just for their service. The case is the tied for the most expensive single component with my graphics card, which is crazy hah.

Lian Li has high quality but I don't think their cases could be called pretty or attractive.

It's more utilitarian or communist-brutalist architecture styled.

What's your idea of a pretty case?

I think most people like the Lian-Li's (myself included) because they're very sleek, modern and not a flashy gamer case... They're more stylish. They are to other cases as Benzes are to Ricers.

What's your idea of a pretty case?

I think most people like the Lian-Li's (myself included) because they're very sleek, modern and not a flashy gamer case... They're more stylish. They are to other cases as Benzes are to Ricers.

Yeah and I apparently have a ricer case haha Antec 900 :p

As well as the name and the reputation, they are also the highest quality cases on the market, along with Silverstone and Zalman. If I had unlimited money to spend, I would buy one of these. Lian Li are the cheapest of them, yet the quality is pretty much the same.

You speak the truth my friend. Sleek, stylish, and great construction > flashy, ricey, and lesser quality construction.

So, i've been browsing around. I always wanted to know the answer to the topic. All computer stores or online I see them going for $99+ (excluding newegg as I'm in Canada). Even though $99 isn't THAT much for a case but for just a plain looking one.. like this one

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19013&vpn=PC-7B PLUS II&manufacture=LIAN-LI

is going for that much!

Is it their air flow or the materials that is so much different than other brands such as Antec or Thermaltake cases?

if you take apart a lian li, you will notice it has an internal structure beyond just the top and front/back. they also are very modular and can fit a number of different bits. they are one of the few lines of cases without any tacky addons or such. everything is constructed of durable materials.

wait what so silverstone is better than Lian li or just a joke? I seen some silverstone cases and I don't like their design one bit. Only reason I want a Lian li is for simple yet clean and Lian li seems to be giving me that option. It's not flashly like the Antec 900. It's all solid case design with no flashy parts at all.

So, which case do you think I should go for? If you see my specs I do need a bit of room for my 8800gts and my huge zalaman CPU cooler :p

Why?

Because most people do not have the tools or know-how to turn $15 worth of
sheet aluminum into a $150 PC case.

wait what so silverstone is better than Lian li or just a joke? I seen some silverstone cases and I don't like their design one bit. Only reason I want a Lian li is for simple yet clean and Lian li seems to be giving me that option. It's not flashly like the Antec 900. It's all solid case design with no flashy parts at all.

So, which case do you think I should go for? If you see my specs I do need a bit of room for my 8800gts and my huge zalaman CPU cooler :p

Both are great companies. I'm bias since I have a Silverstone case, but you really cannot go wrong with either. Both are clean, well crafted, and worth their price you pay.

Lian Li cases aren't flawless, but generally better than others. Thick alu, smart inner design, quality of the work (except maybe for the fans they use).

Plus they are doing it for over 20 years. That's experience, right?

wow you know up to NOW I learned silverstone are great case manufactures too!? I always thought of their cases are plain and bad but until you guys pointed out that both are top notch companies when it comes to PC cases. But overall I still like Lian li cases :p I dunno why but it's maybe their design.

Some say they're the Mercedes Benz of computer cases lol

/shrug I have one (7077) but, I don't think that highly of them.

My current case is a Lian-Li (PC-60) but I just think they're too boring. Something like the TJ-09 to me has enough individuality to it to not be boring but it isn't over the top and flashy like the "ricer" cases people are referring to.

I have the TJ09, and the PC-7B Plus II. The former was $260, and the latter $75.

They are both nice in their own respects. You do get what you payed for.

Had to change out fans on the Lian-LI, but not the Silverstone. The Silverstone is cooler and quieter. Both are light for their size.

Now I like my CM690 too, but the materials and build are iffy; nice case though, just heavy and louder.

Back