Why I Won't Be Buying Either New Console

Obviously some of you never heard about emulators. I can run any c65, Nintendo, snes, ps1, ps2, genesis, etc etc on my computer and on my big screen tv thru hdmi cable with a gamepad. I personally have every game ever made for most the consoles.

Obviously some of you never heard about emulators. I can run any c65, Nintendo, snes, ps1, ps2, genesis, etc etc on my computer and on my big screen tv thru hdmi cable with a gamepad. I personally have every game ever made for most the consoles.

Pretty sure most of us have heard, we just don't talk about grey areas that can get us tagged for piracy as openly as others....

I think most of us have heard of emulators. Do you own the original cart? Even then, the legality is still a bit of a grey area.

I'd be lying if I said I never used it to play many old gem that are out of print today. Still, the more recent console emulator isn't exactly perfect.

For PS1, I think most game should work from start to finish, but there are some that have minor bug, such as Parasite Eve 2 flickering when opening a door. PS2 however, some games like Ace Combat 4 just doesn't work, no texture last I tried, black terrain. Hence I still have my PS2 slim plug into the TV. It's still worth investing in a PS2 for anyone who wishes to play its games. Only problem is the low res when compared to emulator, but at least they work 100%

Yeah but the PC has no class. Plus im broke and have no money so consoles are good for my fixed income. Wait, gaming is cheaper on the PC? The new Mario is sooo good. Ive been playing the hell out of it and Pikmin and Monster Hunter.

Seriously, im tired of PC's after 5 years of them. You just get tired of dicking with them all day. Ive uninstalled Steam on all 3 of my machines and am enjoying my WiiU and will be getting a PS4 here in a few months. Disk based consoles are finally good. Other then Nintendo's, they were always good. lolnubpcmasteraceconsolefaillulznoscopbrogamernevercountnintnedoout

Console interest seems to happen in waves. There was the first wave started by the redubbed Atari 2600. Then there was the SNES wave. Currently we're on the xbox/ps wave. The hallmark of the end of the wave is when more advanced hardware comes out trying to capitalize on the wave and its poorly executed, it derails the fun and excitement of it all. And once you create a break in that, you can't get it back. You need to wait until consoles are almost all-new again.

Console interest seems to happen in waves. There was the first wave started by the redubbed Atari 2600. Then there was the SNES wave. Currently we're on the xbox/ps wave. The hallmark of the end of the wave is when more advanced hardware comes out trying to capitalize on the wave and its poorly executed, it derails the fun and excitement of it all. And once you create a break in that, you can't get it back. You need to wait until consoles are almost all-new again.

I think you forgot a wave :p

At least were I lived at the time, after the Atari 2600 craze died down another wave was started by the roughly contemporary original NES and original Sega system.

And by starting with the Atari 2600 you are completely neglecting first generation systems :p

Yeah going on 2 months after release.....where are the games???

Probably the worst launch of consoles in history, or at least I can remember in the past 25 years.

I liked my 360 as it was an easy way to access streaming services. My gaming on the 360 has dropped to maybe 5%. The idea of a HTPC always fills me with dread, ladies do not get impressed when they want to watch a film and you have 30 updates to install or the HDMI/Sound goes.

However, those services are now easily available on other smaller and cheaper devices. So chances are I shall skip this generation too. 2014 will probably be the last year I pay Gold membership.

I liked my 360 as it was an easy way to access streaming services. My gaming on the 360 has dropped to maybe 5%. The idea of a HTPC always fills me with dread, ladies do not get impressed when they want to watch a film and you have 30 updates to install or the HDMI/Sound goes.

However, those services are now easily available on other smaller and cheaper devices. So chances are I shall skip this generation too. 2014 will probably be the last year I pay Gold membership.

This is pretty much waht happened with gaming to me. I rarely played any of the games and used the systems for streaming (though of course there were a few games I enjoyed) Iv'e not owned a console (well not used a console I owned - Ido have a wii in a drawer in the bacement) for over a year and not really missed them much.

If I were going to buy a console today, I'd look more at the options for media/streaming "HTPC" funtionality rather than games overall. Due to this, I'm not really looking at getting any of the current systems. (Though a device like a Roku is a temptation once I catch up on my bills)

I bought both consoles. They are both great , largely interchangable though. Neither are really "must" buy's at the moment but they both will be in time. I also have a nice powerful gaming PC that gets attention from time to time.

I feel lucky to be able to stand on the side of " I don't really give a fuck. I'll just play what I want to play and be done with it."

I don't really think this article really deserves to be ..an article. PC gamers are not going to be suddenly awe struck by next gen consoles. Technically and from a stand point of usability .. they are massively inferior. PC gamers already know what they have is the bleeding edge and its an advantage that will not be going away. Console manufacturers tried like hell to do hardware "expansions" with older consoles (Sega , I'm talking about you..) and they ALL failed horribly.

This is why I think PC gaming will out live console gaming because the new "next" gen consoles are just more like PC's each time they release. Take a console from 10-15 years ago and it couldn't be more far removed from PC gaming , massively different hardware and all of it customized not to mention different optical mediums that were not the norm. Both next gen consoles are just weak gaming PC's without question.

The smart money is simple .. if you already own a gaming PC just upgrade it when its time. Don't bother with next gen consoles unless you must play exclusive titles. That's all there really is to be said.

I have had a PS3 since near launch. In all the time I had this thing, there was a total of four exclusive games for it that I wanted. I only purchased two of them, (Uncharted 1 & 2), and I skipped the last two, (Uncharted 3 and The Last Of Us),. Not sure I can come up with a good reason to bother with the PS4 for the two to four games that I am likely to want. The 360 really had nothing I was all that interested in that was not available on the PC.

I looked at some kiddies playing a racing game on the Xbone on a big screen at the Microsoft store today. It immediately struck me how it was inferior to racing games I was playing three years ago on my PC. Now that I have a GTX 760, please. It's not even remotely close.

Back