Why does everyone choose blue LEDs?

PHiZ

Limp Gawd
It seems the majority of people choose Blue LEDs for their projects. Why do you think that is? It seems suppliers have followed the trend and it is hard to find products in other varieties of colors. Or do you think that is what has driven everyone to "build blue?"

-PHiZ

the blue is easier on the eye's as it seems and less of a problem with creating a huge night light like some other colors do.

Just the preferd color, and i have no trouble finding red / green / orange lights around, they are around just not as popular as blue and UV lights.

i would love to more "teal" or ocean blue color then just blue blue. be nice to make more "shades" of colors availible.

only blue lights on my case are the factory power one, the ones on my zalman, and the 120mm fan on my PSU other then that its UV(purpleish) to light up my UV parts and my white lights

IMHO blue is kinda played out, peopl use it because its easy to find and cheap

I think people see blue LEDs as a symbol of modernity or something. Or at least they did 5 years ago before damn near everything had a blue LED. I think the original fascination with them was just because they were new. Then everyone started using them and now that's all you see. I think in another five years things will balance out and we'll see a nice mix of red, green, and blue LEDs. And hopefully a few colors in between.

darkmyth said:
the blue is easier on the eye's as it seems and less of a problem with creating a huge night light like some other colors do.

Actually the opposite is true.

"Blue tends to cause more discomfort and disability glare than other, longer wavelengths," said Dr. David Sliney, an expert on the harmful effects of bright light sources at the U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine in Maryland.

Sliney said the eye's lens cannot focus sharply on the blue lights. While red or green light is focused precisely onto the retina, blue light is focused slightly in front of it, which causes a distracting halo around bright blue lights.

In addition, blue scatters more widely than other colors as it passes through the eyeball, Sliney said. Together, these two effects cause the intense blue light from a point source, like an LED, to spread out across the retina, interfering with other parts of the scene. It's called dispersion: Blue's shorter wavelength makes it refract at a greater angle than, say, red or green.

http://www.dcontinuum.com/content/news.php?id=209

well, back in the olden days (i dunno about modern tech cuz im still on vintage stuff), most comps come stock with green power led's and hd activity led's and well.. in case modding, who wants stock? so people just move over ahue down to blue.

Red seems like to agressive of a color (associating with danger zones and stop signs and stuff). And any color outside those primaries just seems so odd.

But when it comes down to it, I think people just generally like the color blue. lol :D

I tend to go for matrix-esque color schemes of green myself.

Someone made a point of associating color with temperature, and I think that is a good point. A red/orange case looks like it is "burning up" but blue has kind of an "ice cool" effect. Hrm.

-PHiZ

I think its easier to match blues. Red cathodes and leds give off different shades, same with green, but blues are more consistent in my experience with cathodes and leds.

Because we had red, green, yellow, & orange LED's for decades before we had blue.

Hopefully the novelty of blue LED's will wear off soon because that color way WAY over-used.

I also hope the Blue fad wears off. Not because it's a bad color, but because the brightness of blue LEDs pisses me off (for things like the power / hard drive lights as well as consumer electronics like televisions).

Agree with the 'modernity' comment. Also, historically, almost anything blue or purple indicated a sign of wealth, as the pigments used to create these colors were difficult to obtain and in shorter supply than those of other colors. That is one reason why purple is considered the 'royal color'; only the royal families could afford it.

1st Google reference I stumbled on

Everybody wants to be on the Light Side of The Force.

Personally, I would prefer red LEDs in my case over anything else. I think that's what Fatal1ty is going for, the Dark Side. I had a blue LED on my video card which I removed for a VF700cu, but my motherboard still has a blue LED on it for some reason.

i have both blue and white and i just like em..

wcrework021.jpg

Wow, that's nice. Maybe I'll bring mine with the red LEDs over and we can hit them together. I'm sure they'll make sparks just like in Star Wars. :D

Purple (UV if necessary) and White LED's go together really well. After next weekend, all my blue/red etc. Led's will be replaced with Yellow UV reactive stuff and UV cathodes.

And Mal... that's super bright lol. It hurts my eyes through my computer screen (is that possible?) Very nice way to hide your Cathode on/off switch.

i like blue, but i dont know if i'd want blue led's in any mods i did. i'd probably stick to red or green, or if i could find it, amber.

I love seeing people push the envelope and try these other colors!
-PHiZ

Amber? You really want brownish yellow? ewwww :p

agent420 said:
Agree with the 'modernity' comment. Also, historically, almost anything blue or purple indicated a sign of wealth, as the pigments used to create these colors were difficult to obtain and in shorter supply than those of other colors. That is one reason why purple is considered the 'royal color'; only the royal families could afford it.

1st Google reference I stumbled on
Good point about the popularity of blue possibly having it's origins in history.

Before the synthetic dye "Prussian Blue" was invented in the late 1700's the only source for good blue dyes
was from either octopus ink or a plant called woad. Both of which were very expensive to produce.

Back