Whoa. Just discovered PlayStation remote play. How to optimize it at home?

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Wow. A co-worker recommended I try it. Just wow.

I'd like to play some games in another room. What system will optimize the experience? Currently I have it on my Mac Studio, I like it. However, I want it to be BETTER!

the PS5 is in the kid's (age 8 and 10) playroom and I do NOT want to move it. I also do NOT want to shell out the money for another PS5. The games I play are more violent and graphic and I almost never play them, because when I get home, so is everyone else. Its not appropriate for the kids to see that content (IMO).

What will optimize the experience? Will a PS4 be better?

I can hook up the PS5 and the PS4 via CAT 6 (and in the walls) and gig Ubiquiti gear. Also have fiber internet at a gig. The Mac Studio is wireless via Wifi 6.

Not sure on Mac, but I've used it with my PS5 on my PC and on mobile with a phone mount for my Dual Shock controller and somehow the PC app sucks and looks/runs worse over my wired network than it does on the mobile app on my wireless network. Also, this 3rd party PSPlay app works much better and allows for much better control (like forcing a LAN link rather than going through the internet) and tweaking of the connection than the official remote play app.

Overall it's a serviceable feature, but can use a lot of improvement still, which I hope they put some emphasis on it before this upcoming Project Q handheld launches. Because the performance really needs some work if they expect any amount of success from it.

Honestly I recommend getting the kids a PS4 or PS4 Pro to play on and move the PS5 to your own room. I kept my old PS4 Pro around just for that reason and it works great since my daughter wouldn't know any difference between them anyways and mostly only plays LBP 3 on it with her friends.

Reactions: Liver
like this
I’ve optimized the connection and done some reading. The highest video quality for remote play is 1080p and from my reading that resolution is ONLY available to a PS4 Pro. In my Mac Studio set up, that means I am limited to 720p.

GameStop had a promo running for a PS4 Pro $50 off, so I got a used 1Tb version for $200 (before tax and free shipping). Should get it this week.

I a thought of EXACTLY what you said. Moving the PS5 to the other room for me, and using the PS4 for the kids. If I put the PS4 in the other room (my area), my wife will never notice. If I move the PS5, she will. So, there is that.

That app you linked looks amazing. Thats for Android only, correct?

Back