Who installs windows optional updates?

RogueTrip

2[H]4U
Ok, the short of it.

Had a BSOD of PFN_LIST_ERROR yesterday night, did a system file check which said corrupt files it couldn't fix. Followed up with DISM restore health which said I had bad component store. I just fixed it and found it was related to optional update KB3022345 which was a fiasco for MS back around april 2015. Looks like there has been 2 more updates to fix that update.

After 2 nights of fixing MS'es screw up I think I may stick to critical updates and forgetting about Optional updates. If nothing else delaying the install for 1~2weeks?

Btw, This is Win8.1u1 pro x64

I do for everything except things like video drivers. Never had a problem.

I've had optional updates break things too so now only enable auto update for critical and recommended.

I did just a few days ago after spending 2 hours reading about all of them

I was admittedly pretty drunk at the end of those 2 hours.

However I have not had any problems with my setup since.

.....except for the fact that my taskbar is now trying to sell me windows 10 :(

I'll install optional updates only if there's a good reason to, so that happens pretty rarely after initial installation/update.

I usually do for most things. Video drivers? No. No no no no no no no. Never.

I do but not for video card and skype......actually any hardware I physically put in I don't update via WU. I do it from the manufacturer.

Hell no. If it's unnecessary or not of importance it isn't even worth the possible headaches. In the last year Microsoft has been goofing up updates left and right and those are on Recommended and Critical ones. Hopefully their track record gets back on track because since Windows 8 it's almost a monthly thing you hear of another update causing hell.

I usually only have those updates that download, install, and restart and then want me to repeat the process in the endless loop. Nothing major so I'm one of the lucky ones.

I do the optional updates. (knock wood) And have not had any issues.

I have had not-optional updates fubar my system, thats was years and several versions of windows back.

I just uninstalled that Win10 notifier update and checked for Win updates so I could hide it and they have it classified as a critical update. :rolleyes:

Depends, I open up more info and see what the fix is and if does not relate to my machine I hide it.
MS has been bothering me to install silverlight.

Right now I have about 20 or so optional updates hidden, many of which are for remote desktop which I do not use.

My build is 100% stable, have not had a bsod crash ever since I updated my bios
to the last available 7 months ago.

I typically don't do driver updates through Windows update. What it will do though is prompt me to go to the manufacturers website to check for updates there.

I use to not install them...... then I quit giving a fuck and install(ed) everything. My user experience has literally not changed with exception to the Win 10 icon.

In regards to Win 10, eh why not. Skipped 8/8.1 until I got a surface pro 3. I don't hate it, glad its not on my desktop though. But with what I've seen I won't mind 10 on a desktop.

Regarding the optional updates, is there an easier way to read the update description without having to individually click on each one?

There are a ton of updates with a new/clean install, and I'm not about to click each single one to determine if I need it or not.

Back