Which wireless mice use AA batteries (or have similar battery life to one that does)?

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
I'm using the Logitech G604 mouse on all of my PCs. I've tried various wireless mice, but their battery life is absolutely abysmal compared to the G604, and any other mouse that uses AA batteries. AA battery mice can keep going for sometimes several months before needing a replacement (which, I'm using rechargeable AA's anyway for). With mice that require USB charging, I often found myself so annoyed with how often they needed to charge that I just usually left them plugged in. I hate them.

But I'm a bit dissatisfied with the ergonomics of the G604, especially for FPS. I find myself trying to kind of claw grip this portion of it:

1694043259648.png

Because for some reason I guess I like to have my finger that low on the left side of the mouse, so I can actually feel it sliding around certain distances on the mousepad. I don't know why. The rubber at that area is slowly coming loose. So I'm looking for maybe another mouse that allows me to grip there more easily, but almost all wireless mice have been replaced by this lithium trash that doesn't last long at all.

Ideas?

any full size, non-rechargeable, wireless mouse will be AA
I'm specifically looking for a gaming mouse, though, as occasionally I do use their macro features. I assume you're talking about simple consumer/office-oriented mice? Last time I stopped in at Microcenter, all of the options for wireless gaming mice were those rechargeable lithium ones.

If you have any good options to recommend, feel free. Thanks.

Unfortunately haven't found many AA (or AAA) battery wireless gaming mice. There are just a handful, but most of them are rechargeable. I find it funny that I can get a wireless headset (which has to have an amplifier, dac, etc all running off the same power source) that runs for 80-100+ hours on one charge, but I can't get a mice (which just has a sensor and some digital circuitry) that runs for at least 2 weeks to a month before needing a charge. Sigh.

Unfortunately haven't found many AA (or AAA) battery wireless gaming mice. There are just a handful, but most of them are rechargeable. I find it funny that I can get a wireless headset (which has to have an amplifier, dac, etc all running off the same power source) that runs for 80-100+ hours on one charge, but I can't get a mice (which just has a sensor and some digital circuitry) that runs for at least 2 weeks to a month before needing a charge. Sigh.

If you don't run the Logitech gaming mice at max performance they'll last months. I've seen their non gaming mice run on single AAs for years.

If you don't run the Logitech gaming mice at max performance they'll last months. I've seen their non gaming mice run on single AAs for years.

Yeah, I have a Logitech gaming mouse with AAs at the moment. I just don't like the shape of it, so I'm trying to find other gaming mice that use AA batteries, because the rechargeable, integrated battery mice basically don't last long at all. I guess the opening post runs on a bit long, but I guess I just tend to do that...

if you can live with only 6 buttons, 1000dpi and that is not really a "gaming" mouse, ive been really happy with my M720 triathlon. it uses a single AA and the inbox one lasted Nov to July-ish, a new battery is supposed to last up to a claimed 2 years.

Yeah, I have a Logitech gaming mouse with AAs at the moment. I just don't like the shape of it, so I'm trying to find other gaming mice that use AA batteries, because the rechargeable, integrated battery mice basically don't last long at all. I guess the opening post runs on a bit long, but I guess I just tend to do that...
Well you could just get the power play mouse pad that charges the mouse as you play. It's expensive but if you want the luxury of never running out of battery with max wireless gaming performance it does the trick. It only works with specific Logitech mice.

if you can live with only 6 buttons, 1000dpi and that is not really a "gaming" mouse, ive been really happy with my M720 triathlon. it uses a single AA and the inbox one lasted Nov to July-ish, a new battery is supposed to last up to a claimed 2 years.

I think I'm already generally using more than 1000 dpi. Granted I could just increase mouse sensitivity or speed in every app, but I'm assuming that it does not have any macro access, either? I do use macros on occasion (for instance in Starfield, as a toggle to hold down Spacebar to turn off the inertial dampeners in the starship, rather than having to actually hold it down).

Well you could just get the power play mouse pad that charges the mouse as you play. It's expensive but if you want the luxury of never running out of battery with max wireless gaming performance it does the trick. It only works with specific Logitech mice.

I might have to, yes, but I already have a full desk mat, so having a mouse mat on top of the mat was something I was hoping to avoid... but might not be possible. Do you know if those wireless charging pads have any grooves or anything under the surface due to the charging element being under it (like maybe a coil shape or something)? I'm pretty sensitive to surface smoothness, so I hope not.

Also though I still use them just because of the software, I have to remark about how it feels like logitech recently has been built like absolutely disposable trash... I was hoping to avoid them, but it might be inevitable...

I think I'm already generally using more than 1000 dpi. Granted I could just increase mouse sensitivity or speed in every app, but I'm assuming that it does not have any macro access, either? I do use macros on occasion (for instance in Starfield, as a toggle to hold down Spacebar to turn off the inertial dampeners in the starship, rather than having to actually hold it down).

I might have to, yes, but I already have a full desk mat, so having a mouse mat on top of the mat was something I was hoping to avoid... but might not be possible. Do you know if those wireless charging pads have any grooves or anything under the surface due to the charging element being under it (like maybe a coil shape or something)? I'm pretty sensitive to surface smoothness, so I hope not.

Also though I still use them just because of the software, I have to remark about how it feels like logitech recently has been built like absolutely disposable trash... I was hoping to avoid them, but it might be inevitable...

It's smooth on top and very thin, you could put it underneath your mat if you want. There is just a small part at the back that sticks up.

Dunno if I would really call this a deal, but:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WZ56G9
Amazon has that wireless charging mouse mat for $99 on a "Black Friday deal", and then a $10 coupon on top of that, which brings it down to $89.99. I think it's about the lowest I've seen it? So I went ahead and grabbed one.

I also dug out an old Logitech G502 I had lying around to try with it... Only to figure out I had it lying around too close to a corner and a black widow (or something similar) had some eggs that hatched from it. It kind of looked like shit at this point. But I'm not sure if I want to buy a new mouse to use with it when I have an older one that (probably...) still works... when I clean the shit out of it...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was going to recommend the G604 but I see that that is what you have. The part that you don't like is the reason I like the G604 and G602,

I have quite a few of them with a G700 on the far left.
IMG_1924.JPEG

I was going to recommend the G604 but I see that that is what you have. The part that you don't like is the reason I like the G604 and G602,

I have quite a few of them with a G700 on the far left.
View attachment 615933

Don't get me wrong, I still like them for general use. I have 3 of the new ones spread out all across the house, and some of the old ones like you have there. But for gaming, don't like having my finger rest that close to the function buttons and/or I guess I like being able to feel how far across the surface I've traveled. After getting used to it, the quick scroll button is also difficult to go without. It's just for FPS and other games, I find myself gripping that lip on the left instead of the side of the mouse above the lip, so it sounds to me like I just need to get another shape. I'm gonna see how much I like that mouse mat and... decide if I want to try to clear various spider bits and dirt out of the existing rechargeable mouse that I have that's compatible with it or just purchase a new one...

Don't get me wrong, I still like them for general use. I have 3 of the new ones spread out all across the house, and some of the old ones like you have there. But for gaming, don't like having my finger rest that close to the function buttons and/or I guess I like being able to feel how far across the surface I've traveled. After getting used to it, the quick scroll button is also difficult to go without. It's just for FPS and other games, I find myself gripping that lip on the left instead of the side of the mouse above the lip, so it sounds to me like I just need to get another shape. I'm gonna see how much I like that mouse mat and... decide if I want to try to clear various spider bits and dirt out of the existing rechargeable mouse that I have that's compatible with it or just purchase a new one...
I map the bottom 2 forward buttons (G1 & G2 I believe) as mouse middle click as I use that for melee in my FPS games. I never use the scroll wheel button since I used to use it back in the day and would sometimes accidentally switch weapons when trying to melee with the scroll wheel middle click.

I map the bottom 2 forward buttons (G1 & G2 I believe) as mouse middle click as I use that for melee in my FPS games. I never use the scroll wheel button since I used to use it back in the day and would sometimes accidentally switch weapons when trying to melee with the scroll wheel middle click.

I find that the resistance on the G604 side keys and even moreso its predecessor have too much resistance for me to actually use comfortably in a game most of the time. I mostly only really use the buttons on the top left of the mouse, if I use anything, and occasionally the center. I use the infinite scroll option a lot for long lists, it's a real lifesaver for some of my tasks and code.

I managed to clean up my G502 liightspeed and return it to... not being a spider infested mess... with some cleaning solution and alcohol wipes. Have to say, the loss of weight from the AA batteries is nice. But it's still got that annoying lip...

sharknice I'm not sure if you have the powerplay mat yourself, but I'm just curious. Does yours have bumps where the coil elements are, on the actual rubber unit itself?

1701304007838.png

If I put the soft mouse mat on top of it, I can sort of still feel these bumps if I press down hard enough while running my hand over it, but it doesn't really seem to affect my mouse movements at all so I don't necessarily care too much. I could also try the hard top. I'm just wondering if these coils are normal or if I should get an exchange, though.

I find that the resistance on the G604 side keys and even moreso its predecessor have too much resistance for me to actually use comfortably in a game most of the time. I mostly only really use the buttons on the top left of the mouse, if I use anything, and occasionally the center. I use the infinite scroll option a lot for long lists, it's a real lifesaver for some of my tasks and code.

I managed to clean up my G502 liightspeed and return it to... not being a spider infested mess... with some cleaning solution and alcohol wipes. Have to say, the loss of weight from the AA batteries is nice. But it's still got that annoying lip...

sharknice I'm not sure if you have the powerplay mat yourself, but I'm just curious. Does yours have bumps where the coil elements are, on the actual rubber unit itself?

View attachment 616952

If I put the soft mouse mat on top of it, I can sort of still feel these bumps if I press down hard enough while running my hand over it, but it doesn't really seem to affect my mouse movements at all so I don't necessarily care too much. I could also try the hard top. I'm just wondering if these coils are normal or if I should get an exchange, though.
I didn't even know about the bumps there until you showed it.

I can't see those bumps on mine. If I push down on it with no pad on it using my bare hand I can feel them.

I use the hard pad on mine. I've had it for 5 years and I've gone through several of the hard pads and never noticed the bumps.

This is incredibly finicky. The G502 at first charged just fine, then stopped charging. I read online that it had something to do with it only charging when its down past 85% to keep from overcharging. However, the software clearly shows it going down past 85% and yet it doesn't start charging. Turning it off and on again gets it to charge, which tells me its a mouse problem. Then when it starts to charge, it automagically just jumps to 90% almost immediately, then gets to 95% in record time then stops charging. This is so messed up. =_=;

Leave it to Logitech to not actually code the charging firmware properly.

Why does it have to be AA batteries? I use Logitech G Pro Wireless as my office mouse @250hz with lights off and charge it every 6-8 weeks. Logitech mice with hero and hero 2 sensors are very economical on battery so no need to fear it being rechargeable.

Back