Which to buy Wii U/PS4/New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I am wrong, but just by bypassing the DRM to rip the ROM off the disc is illegal. At least that how it is for DVD/Blurays. So, I don't see how it's any different for games. No one I've ever known uses their 'own' ROM's anyways. Furthermore, just actually using the console is so much easier, and friendlier.

You are not ripping a rom, you are making an image of the full disc. Or you can load it directly from of disc. Whole Rom term is wrong here and only applies to cartridges. Even if this act is somehow illegal do you really give a flying fuck what some not-so-tech-savvy lawmaker thinks what you do with a disc you own? Because that counts for ripping your own CDs into flac/mp3 too, stuff everybody does without second thought. Emulation is about preserving games and if that means breaking a law that no one cares about then so be it. However piracy of new or still easily obtainable games is another subject.

On the last part I agree. Using console is simpler. I started using dolphin when graphics chip on my Wii crapped out. Now that i have WiiU i use mostly that ., but still occasionally use dolphin out of curiosity because i have been following emuscene since nesticle and kgen days.

Oh please, your myopic childlike thought that no one knows you're warezing is laughable. Get real.

Yes, with your grand world view there is absolutely no reason someone would prefer to use an emulator other than having to steal games. People have different tastes and preferences. Maybe you're just in such poor financial condition you can't comprehend another reason for emulation other than piracy as that is the route you wish to take because you can't afford your hobby, but not all of us are in that boat.

I have my gaming PC, a Wii U, and a PS3. Pretty well covered until some must-play exclusives are available for the XB1/PS4. I think someone already said it earlier in the thread, but you really need to decide what games you want to play in the coming months and let the drive your purchasing decision. I'd even go so far as to make a list and consider release dates for the XB1/PS4.

As far as the OT emulation comments, I've never known anyone that runs emulation software for any platform that doesn't have a hard drive full of software for those platforms that they don't actually own. Frankly, if I'm going to go to trouble of buying Wii games, I want to play it on real hardware. Sure there are benefits to Dolphin but it can also be a PITA to deal with.

WiiU + 3DS + PC Trifecta!

No need whatsoever for a PS4 or a XBO

Thats my holy trinity. I may pick up PS3 one day just to play the few exclusives but I see no reason to buy either PS4 or XBone currently. Maybe after a year or two once the exclusives that actually are worth a damn start to arrive...

Thats my holy trinity. I may pick up PS3 one day just to play the few exclusives but I see no reason to buy either PS4 or XBone currently. Maybe after a year or two once the exclusives that actually are worth a damn start to arrive...

I actually want to go back and pick up a PS3 for some of the RPG funsies. But I see no need whatsoever for a PS4 or xbone. I will stick with my 3DS, Wii-U and PC

Yes, with your grand world view there is absolutely no reason someone would prefer to use an emulator other than having to steal games. People have different tastes and preferences. Maybe you're just in such poor financial condition you can't comprehend another reason for emulation other than piracy as that is the route you wish to take because you can't afford your hobby, but not all of us are in that boat.

Nope, I've just seen punks like you plenty of times before. And no, not everyone is like your self-description trying to project yourself onto them. I love how just mentioning how transparent your thoughts are got you in such a tizzy.

WiiU + 3DS + PC Trifecta!

No need whatsoever for a PS4 or a XBO

Yep as I said earlier in this thread, if your pc isn't great just slap a 750ti in and enjoy along with a Wii U. Great combo and has served me well. I haven't yet gotten a 3ds, have an old original fat titanium ds I play occasionally still though.

Nope, I've just seen punks like you plenty of times before. And no, not everyone is like your self-description trying to project yourself onto them. I love how just mentioning how transparent your thoughts are got you in such a tizzy.

I usually don't bother with people who are so simple minded they can't comprehend a world outside their own prejudices. But I'm feeling playful today.

hmSj9D5.jpg

WEmwgqz.jpg

XkZGezH.jpg

oGm6Stq.jpg

Insert foot into mouth please. That is just small sampling of what I had handy. A ton more, especially games, are in storage.

So please take your self righteous narrow minded views about emulation and keep them to yourself. Some of us simply prefer to use an emulator for a variety of reasons. Move along joker.

I usually don't bother with people who are so simple minded they can't comprehend a world outside their own prejudices. But I'm feeling playful today.

hmSj9D5.jpg

WEmwgqz.jpg

XkZGezH.jpg

oGm6Stq.jpg

Insert foot into mouth please. That is just small sampling of what I had handy. A ton more, especially games, are in storage.

So please take your self righteous narrow minded views about emulation and keep them to yourself. Some of us simply prefer to use an emulator for a variety of reasons. Move along joker.

DUST! And all those consoles dirty in boxes, so sad:(

DUST! And all those consoles dirty in boxes, so sad:(

Tell me about it. The sad part is that is only a week since it was completely dusted. The game room has horrid air circulation. I want to completely redo it but always seems we have some other project that takes priority.

As for consoles in boxes. Yea it's where they go when they retire from being connected. I have another box in storage with about 6 more and about 5 boxes full of old games. It's a huge part of why I love emulation, let's me play old games without having 20 consoles hooked up.

Tell me about it. The sad part is that is only a week since it was completely dusted. The game room has horrid air circulation. I want to completely redo it but always seems we have some other project that takes priority.

Thats why i do not buy black media furniture... first its a dust magnet with all the cooling , and second dusting them is a pita.

*snip*

QFT regarding Emulation. My god what a sexy, dusty, game collection sir ;)

This part of the board is so horribly monitored. The last page and a half has absolutely nothing to do with the OT and it devolved into a pissing contest. For the record, yes creating disc images is illegal. Yes creating ROMs of games falling under current copyrights are illegal. ROMs for orphan games from non-existent studios are legal which is why online youll typically only have easy access to older games.

Your version of the record is wrong.

"Yes creating ROMs of games falling under current copyrights are illegal." Creating copies of media that you own for your personal use has generally been supported under "fair use" clauses in the copyright law.

"ROMs for orphan games from non-existent studios are legal" is untrue. The reason you can find those games easily is because there isn't somebody around to sue people for hosting them. They are just as illegal as a disc image of a new game like Titanfall.

Your version of the record is wrong.

"Yes creating ROMs of games falling under current copyrights are illegal." Creating copies of media that you own for your personal use has generally been supported under "fair use" clauses in the copyright law.

"ROMs for orphan games from non-existent studios are legal" is untrue. The reason you can find those games easily is because there isn't somebody around to sue people for hosting them. They are just as illegal as a disc image of a new game like Titanfall.

your incorrect.
http://voices.yahoo.com/what-emulators-roms-they-legal-352125.html?cat=19
"As for roms, they fall into a gray area in the law. Games that no longer have valid copyrights are legal to make into roms. Orphan games are legal to make into roms. Games that are user created are legal also.

Games that still hold valid copyrights are up to the owner of the copyright to pursue. Sony has done this, and it is very difficult to find any rom site that will handle Sony owned games."

Also note the fact that the bios and low level infrastructure is required for any form of an emulator. And unless you bought the hardware it is illegal for you to obtain, but you can legally create your own dump of it if again, you own the hardware

As for consoles in boxes. Yea it's where they go when they retire from being connected. I have another box in storage with about 6 more and about 5 boxes full of old games. It's a huge part of why I love emulation, let's me play old games without
So how exactly is posting some pics of old systems supposed to refute that most emulation is done with illegal roms? Bueller? Yeah, as I said, just another of the usual forum punks. :)

Guys, going off topic, lets stick back on topic please, keep your pissing matches to yourself now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back