Which OS to get. Windows 7 or 8

garry26

Gawd
I have a new system currently being built by the local computer tech guy.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1730228

Since they both cost the same, which OS should I get? Windows 7 or Windows 8?
whats the difference between 32b and 64bit, and which should I go for?

My pc is used for websurfing, movie dvds, hulu, netflix, other video streaming, gaming.

Windows 8 64bit.

Don't listen to the haters. Windows 8 has MANY under the hood improvements that make it worth while. It uses less ram than 7, has a better task manager/network transfers, baked in ISO support, DX11.1 support and many more. Oh and plus it's not 3 years old :p

Concerned about "Metro"? Don't be... you'll most likely never see or use it on a desktop.

Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason not to go windows 8. I've been using it since before release and haven't had any issues at all, not to mention the reasons blinx already pointed out. If you find that the "modern ui" or "metro" or whatever it's called nowadays is really annoying, just get one of the many programs that brings the start menu back. Then it's basically identical to 7, just better. I personally use startisback.

Wait...the start menu is no more? Ive always used the start menu ever since Win95. Ive even gone into WinXP and changed the settings to use "classic" or old style buttons so that it was Win95 style because i hate how WinXP defualt start menu takes up half the screen.

What do you mean its gone? It cant be gone. I dont want to relearn how to navigate an OS. I barely know my way around XP and its predesessors.

If it's for watching DVDs get 7 64bit. As 8 doesn't include DVD playback and doesn't really include anything compelling over 7.

64bit gives you the ability to use more then 4gb total RAM (this includes video ram, so a 2gb graphics card would leave you with 2gb available system ram).

Wait...the start menu is no more? Ive always used the start menu ever since Win95. Ive even gone into WinXP and changed the settings to use "classic" or old style buttons so that it was Win95 style because i hate how WinXP defualt start menu takes up half the screen.

What do you mean its gone? It cant be gone. I dont want to relearn how to navigate an OS. I barely know my way around XP and its predesessors.

They've replaced the start menu with the start screen. Similar idea, but it is a full-screen start menu instead of the pop-up like Win 7 has. I'm sure there is some kind of demo page on the Microsoft site where you can see what it looks like.

(this includes video ram, so a 2gb graphics card would leave you with 2gb available system ram).

Huh?

Umm... my new system will have 4gb x 2 sticks.

So long as its an easy transition from the old start menu, no (or low) a learning curve, and there are no major issues, then I'm leaning towards Win8. In which case the question would be 32bit or 64bit.

If you're not going to anything advanced like streaming games online, Windows 8 is fine right now, I say as a Win7x64 fanboy.

(And go 64bit. 32 bits and you're limited to 3.some gigs of RAM + whatever's on the graphics card, 64 and the sky is really the limit. Future investment.)

umm 64bit can address far more then 4gb, that was a limitation impossed on "starter" editions and 32bit os installs.

I say use windows 7, as the more folks that switch to 8, the more MS will think its ok to release a new OS every few years without changing to much to make it better, and making radical changes that MOST despise, I say stick it to the MS man.

If its for a tablet or somehting similar, thats one thing, but a windows system, there is a reason why industry as a large margin and the vast majority if users couldn`t be bothered with the "gimmick" windows 8 is.

DX11.1 is a shot in the ribs for all us windows 7 users, and is a BS reason to get windows 8, very few things to make it "worthwhile" over DX11, kind of like DX10 and 10.1. If more folks say screw it and stick with windows 7, the more likely folks will get DX11.1 on windows 7 as well. All the changes they have done in windows 8 can be done in windows 7 as well(from what I have read) as they are basically the same base OS not much changes beyond some code "tuning" its not like windows XP which is a massive difference from vista/7/8 was.

here is a basic list of changes they have done beyond some basic optimizing to be more leniant on ram, slightly better performing with new cpu(AMD FX as an example) but the big thing behind and reason why MS did windows 8 was/is the touch interface, to feel more smart phone like, so those used to using ARM type smartphones and the like will feel more comfortable(which shouldn`t f*in matter anyways)

Well I will be using a desktop so there will be no touching of screens.
I do online MMOs so thats game streaming i suppose.

Well, Windows 7 removed the classic start menu, so either way, you're going to have to either get used to a new start menu, or install a 3rd party addon. If you're going to install a 3rd party addon, you might as well go with Windows 8 for all the enhancements.

DVD playback is easily restored by any multitude of codec packs. As for why it was removed... Microsoft was getting fined hundreds of millions of dollars for "monopolizing" media playback.

Always go 64 bit, there is little reason these days not too. If only Microsoft would have killed 32 bit releases after Vista like they promised (had Vista not been a bang up job) we could finally start to move forward and people wouldn't be so confused.

As for the Windows 8 vs Windows 7 debate, I'd say Windows 7 just because it isn't too big of a change from whatever it is you're probably accustomed too. I would recommend testing Windows 8 just to see if you're comfortable with it before taking the plunge of $100+ for something you might not like. That is more of a personal question though since the differences between Windows 7 > Windows 8 isn't anything essential under the hood that makes it a "must upgrade".

If it's for watching DVDs get 7 64bit. As 8 doesn't include DVD playback and doesn't really include anything compelling over 7.

64bit gives you the ability to use more then 4gb total RAM (this includes video ram, so a 2gb graphics card would leave you with 2gb available system ram).

You can get media center for free from Microsoft.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Not only does it include DVD playback, but it also includes Blu-Ray playback. So, don't let the lack of media center weight into your decision of choosing an operating system.

I don't see a reason to go Windows 7 over Windows 8.

As other people mentioned, go 64-BIT, no reason not to at this point.

I'd suggest you give Windows 8 a try. I absolutely hated it initially and could not get used to the Metro interface. If you want to use Metro, just imagine it as a big start menu and organize it as such. Or do what I did and just replace it with a 3rd-party start menu replacer, such as Start8.

Other then Metro, it's been a pleasure to work with once you get over the shock value of Metro and some of the more subtle changes such as the more square interface and "basic" colors.

I had both 7 and 8 on hand but went with 7 because it works the way I want it to.

I thought about what I would be gaining by installing 8 and really there isn't much. It's slightly faster on boot-up but nobody spends all day booting their system. The new task manager is nice too but again it just isn't used that much. The Start/Metro UI is not for me either because I don't have a touchscreen. Something that might not be important for many(but was for me) is how drab the new interface looks without Aero Glass.

For me, 7 was and still is everything I need so I did not see any reason to change right now.

Always go 64 bit, there is little reason these days not too. If only Microsoft would have killed 32 bit releases after Vista like they promised (had Vista not been a bang up job) we could finally start to move forward and people wouldn't be so confused.

The lifespan of 32 bit has been extended indefinitely due to mobile devices, it's not going away any time soon.

DVD playback is easily restored by any multitude of codec packs. As for why it was removed... Microsoft was getting fined hundreds of millions of dollars for "monopolizing" media playback.

No, they removed it because they wanted to be cheap assholes. The lawuits were only in the EU and were about media playing software. The N (media playblack free) versions of 7 AND 8, are only availible in the EU. :p

No, they removed it because they wanted to be cheap assholes. The lawuits were only in the EU and were about media playing software. The N (media playblack free) versions of 7 AND 8, are only availible in the EU. :p

Apparently they were under pressure from OEMs to cut costs as much as possible.

And with a lot of basic Windows laptops for under $300 nowadays, I'm not too suprised.

Some of the stuff in this article is just so off it's hard to take it seriously:

What is the best feature of iOS on the iPad? A permanent hardware Home button. It isn’t as convenient as going “Back” on Android but at least it facilitates re-navigating to wherever you were. The closest thing to a full-time Home button in Windows 8 is the “windows” key on the keyboard (but the whole idea is that the keyboard is not always available/required).

Every Windows 8/RT tablet is required to have a Windows button that does the same thing as the Home button on the iPad.

and

Ok I don't understand much about the techie talk, but I gather I will not have Windows Media Player and/or will not be able to play movie DVDs with Windows 8?

I use VLC which is free, but also like having the basic Windows Media Player, along with Real Player on my system. With all three (VLC, Real Player, and WMP) I can play my dvds and and other downloaded content 99% of the time.

Will I not be able to do this with Windows 8? Of course, if there are free add ons that let me have these, please let me know because I dont want to get W8 and then find out I cant play DVDs and/or Blu Ray

You can get media center for free from Microsoft.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Not only does it include DVD playback, but it also includes Blu-Ray playback. So, don't let the lack of media center weight into your decision of choosing an operating system.

I don't see a reason to go Windows 7 over Windows 8.

I do not upgrade my HTPC from 7 to 8 because I use WMC and one internet TV plugin and this plugin doesn't work under Windows 8 yet :(

So, it is not always obvious when to choose windows 8 over windows 7.

You can get Window-media Cents for free with Windows 8 Pro Until January 31st and that will support DVD playback in Windows Media Center but not Windows Media Player. Also, contrary to what tricky said, there is no support for Blu Ray in Windows Media Center without 3rd party software like TotalMedia Theater.

All of your 3rd party options should function as they did in Windows 7.

and

Ok I don't understand much about the techie talk, but I gather I will not have Windows Media Player and/or will not be able to play movie DVDs with Windows 8?

I use VLC which is free, but also like having the basic Windows Media Player, along with Real Player on my system. With all three (VLC, Real Player, and WMP) I can play my dvds and and other downloaded content 99% of the time.

Will I not be able to do this with Windows 8? Of course, if there are free add ons that let me have these, please let me know because I dont want to get W8 and then find out I cant play DVDs and/or Blu Ray

You can play movie DVDs with Windows 8 Pro with Windows Media Center.

VLC contains its own codecs, so it can already play pretty much everything on its own. It can handle the DVD playback for you if you want it to.

The point is, there is no native support for DVD playback. That means, on a fresh install of Windows 8, you cannot play DVD movies. However, once you install VLC or Windows Media Center, you can play DVD movies, but you cannot use Windows Media Player to play DVD movies.

I believe addon codec packs like Shark007 can add DVD player functionality to Windows Media Player, but I'm not sure. And Shark007 might conflict with VLC.

Why would you want to put on your desktop an OS, whose GUI is blatantly designed for tablets? Do you have a touch screen and do you like to touch your screen?

Most Win8 power users, resort to secondary programs, in order to make the Win8 UI look like the one in Win7. You know, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Why would you want to put on your desktop an OS, whose GUI is blatantly designed for tablets? Do you have a touch screen and do you like to touch your screen?

Most Win8 power users, resort to secondary programs, in order to make the Win8 UI look like the one in Win7. You know, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

That's entirely personal preference, and I have found using the new UI to be just fine with a mouse and keyboard.

That's entirely personal preference, and I have found using the new UI to be just fine with a mouse and keyboard.

It is a personal preference, but all around internet fora, "hacks" and 3rd party programs sell like hotcakes, in order to "sevenize" Win8. How many Windows releases before that, had even power users trying to "retrofit" their shiny new OS in order to look like the older one? This speaks volumes. Let alone "average Joes", who don't know how to search for such secondary programs.

It is a personal preference, but all around internet fora, "hacks" and 3rd party programs sell like hotcakes, in order to "sevenize" Win8. How many Windows releases before that, had even power users trying to "retrofit" their shiny new OS in order to look like the older one? This speaks volumes. Let alone "average Joes", who don't know how to search for such secondary programs.

Because up till Vista all Windows OS's had the option to switch back to Classic View by default.

And it's not the "majority," as you claim. More like half or somewhat less than half from what I've seen.

Because up till Vista all Windows OS's had the option to switch back to Classic View by default.

And it's not the "majority," as you claim. More like half or somewhat less than half from what I've seen.

Yes, by DEFAULT. None was requiring 3rd party software and very few wanted to return to classic view. Surely not many power users.

Fine, let's say it's 50%. When was the last time a new release of Windows had 50% of power users trying to make it look like the older version?

Oh well, sales will tell the rest. And if it's so good, i am sure businesses, who pay for productivity, will rush to adopt it, won't they...

Oh my, it seems that Microsoft, instead of riding the wave of the huge success of Windows 8 and thus milk the goose with the golden eggs for as much as possible, is planning to well... torpedo 8...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/28/3693368/windows-blue-update-low-cost

What company tries to supersede her brand new, successful OS, in less than 1 year from its launch? Doesn't make sense, does it?

Windows Me, Vista, 8. The saga continues...

Yes, by DEFAULT. None was requiring 3rd party software and very few wanted to return to classic view. Surely not many power users.

Fine, let's say it's 50%. When was the last time a new release of Windows had 50% of power users trying to make it look like the older version?

Oh well, sales will tell the rest. And if it's so good, i am sure businesses, who pay for productivity, will rush to adopt it, won't they...

Because it's something new and people don't often like getting coerced into using something they aren't used to.

I never said it would be good for everyone. But it isn't nearly as bad as you are making it out to be (aka completely unusable with mouse and keyboard).

Also, do we have to really go over the business side yet AGAIN!?

Oh my, it seems that Microsoft, instead of riding the wave of the huge success of Windows 8 and thus milk the goose with the golden eggs for as much as possible, is planning to well... torpedo 8...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/28/3693368/windows-blue-update-low-cost

What company tries to supersede her brand new, successful OS, in less than 1 year from its launch? Doesn't make sense, does it?

Windows Me, Vista, 8. The saga continues...

What does that have to do with Windows 8? It has absolutely nothing to do with Windows 8, and everything to do with the environment Windows is now competing with (Android, iOS, etc).

And that good/bad myth has been debunked numerous times...

Previous Windows UI's all worked more or less the same since Win 95, so it wouldn't make much sense to make most of them work like older versions, obviously. Back in the Win 9x days, I remember plenty of progman worship as well, and we see how that turned out. MS did not go back to it, and users recognized the superiority of the new way.

Back