Which is better. ATI X800XL or GeForce 210?

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
I am clueless on Vid cards, can someone help me pick the better one? And is there that much of a difference b/w the three?

1)
Onboard video to this motherboard ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX
which is a ATI Radeon HD 4290

2)
OLDDD ATI X800XL

* RAMDAC Clock Speed 400 MHz
* Effective memory clock 1000 mhz
* Video Memory Installed 256 MB
* Technology GDDR3 SDRAM
* RAM Installed ( Max ) - GDDR3
* Max Resolution (external) 2048 x 1536 / 85 Hz

2)
EVGA GeForce 210 with the following specs:

589 MHz GPU core clock
400 MHz RAMDAC

Memory
512 MB, 64 bit DDR2
810 MHz (effective)
6.4 GB/s Memory Bandwidth
2560x1600 Max Resolution

Thanks in advance.

Neither one of those would end up much better than the onboard. What are you trying to do with it?

x800xl kicked ass when I had it lol. I'm positive itd be better than onboard, what are you trying to do with it?

I was using an x800xl till about 1 month ago, I would say it would be the best of those 3 unless you need newer features that the older card doesn't have, hdmi/higher resolution/newer software.

not much actually. i am still play counter strike 1.6 which it runs perfectly fine. I guess i wouldnt mind being able to somewhat run newer games such as starcraft 2 or whatnot. but if x800xl is better than the rest, i guess ill stick with that.

Honestly, if you can, pick up a cheap 9600GT or similar for about $30-35.

It all comes down to what you are using them for.

HD video, I would go with the 210 or onboard. The x800 doesn't have htcp. For gaming, none of them will play modern games. X800 has the horsepower, but no shader model 3 that is standard for most games now. 210 is a minor upgrade from integrated but they are just for displaying 2d and video.

ok, thanks for all the info. I havnt really bought any new games for about 2 years now. so i guess if i end up getting something new ill shell out some extra money. the only reason i ask about these cards is that I already had the x800 and i got the geforce for free basically. Just trying to see what is the best one I have. Thanks again for the info!

Might as well put the x800xl in there. If its not enough, pick up something a bit newer but not more than $50 (unless you want to play newer games)

If you already have both cards just go with the x800xl.
And if you are in need of some more graphical power you can get a 9800GT or something else for pretty cheap.

ok, thanks for all the info. I havnt really bought any new games for about 2 years now. so i guess if i end up getting something new ill shell out some extra money. the only reason i ask about these cards is that I already had the x800 and i got the geforce for free basically. Just trying to see what is the best one I have. Thanks again for the info!

I would not bother upgrading any of the above over the on board. I would suggest at least getting a 4650 or the like. if your not wanting to go that way right now just forgo the X800 and use the on board. if for no other reason then compatibility with newer software, codecs and such

I tested a x1950 XL recently (256mb) and it could run quite a few modern games (source engine for example) at decent framerates with medium settings @ 720p resolution, not terribly shabby for such an old card.

I have used the X800XL back then in 2006, and I also have a HTPC system with a 785G board (the integrated Radeon is the same as in the 890GX iirc). The GT210 is not much of a step above the 9400M AFAIK.

The X800XL is the fastest of the three.

Looks like the 3dmark scores are pretty similar - a slight edge to the x800xl in 3dmk01, and a slight edge to the 210 in 3dmk05. However the 210 is more current, hence drivers are likely to be better and it supports newer standards, so I'd expect it to just work in more games (if rather slowly).

I used to own X800xl. I think I might still have it somewhere in my junk. It was a nice card.

Back