Which 7950 ?

overclocking to 1100 mhz on a HD 7950 is straightforward. no need to even increase voltage. HD 7950(1.1 Ghz) will match HD 7970 Ghz performance. so definitely do that. also the sapphire HD 7950 boost is an excellent option. good cooler. card is a bit long at 29cm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11196-16-20G/dp/B0098HW1HG/

gigabyte HD 7950 now comes with a boost BIOS and 1 ghz boost clocks out of the box. locked voltage. has 3 yr warranty compared to sapphire 2 yr warranty. pick what you like.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hum seems pretty equal; though the older saphire 2l (that you linked) is 30$ less than the gigabyte (if you mess with the rebate). I'm not really into overclocking so it will be 10% slower than the gigabyte.

It doesnt make a whole lot of sense to get a 7950 if you arent going to overclock..

But get the Gigabyte if you insist.

Then what video card should I buy if I'm not going to overclock ?

also i'm still researching if the 7950 will fit in my case (pc-9f); seems tight from teh specs the 7950 is 4mm too long.

It doesnt make a whole lot of sense to get a 7950 if you arent going to overclock..

But get the Gigabyte if you insist.

Maybe a 670 would be something you could consider if you don't want to tweak the clocks on the 7950.
It costs more, sure but if you want out of the box performance that matches a moderately overclocked 7950, a 670 is a good choice.

Then what video card should I buy if I'm not going to overclock ?

also i'm still researching if the 7950 will fit in my case (pc-9f); seems tight from teh specs the 7950 is 4mm too long.

I don't know why there's a lot of hate for the HD 7950 (regardless of whether you're overclocking or not). In MANY games, the HD7950 scores almost identical to the GTX 670, often a few frames below, occasionally even performing better, but the price difference on average is at least $50 or more higher for the GTX 670.

The HD 7950 can be had for as low as $280 (Occasionally lower), whereas the GTX 670 is more often around $350-380. In my personal opinion, the HD 7950 is a much better deal, regardless of whether you overclock it or not. Plus, with the AMD Never Settle Reloaded bundle, you get Crysis 3, and Bioshock Infinite Steam Keys. If you already have these games, or don't want them, you can sell the steam keys/voucher here or elsewhere for a tidy sum. Both of these games are AAA $60 releases.

That powercolor card you linked is pretty much a reference HD 7950. It should perform just as good as any other HD 7950, except the cooling won't be as efficient as a custom cooled card. Noise wise it should be perfectly acceptable. Though at full load/fan speeds you will be able to hear it.

Yea I'm trying to decide between the sapphire 100352-2L and 100352-3L. Amazon has the 2L for $269 and newegg has the 3L for $289. The 3L is $20 more; the one feature that appeals to me is that it is shorter which makes it a sure fit in my pc-9f (the 2L will be very tight since I can't remove the drive bay).
-
From overclock threads it suonds like the 2L allows water cooling (not relevant to me) and has vram temp probe; otherwise it is very unclear which is better (to me). They do have different connectors - the 2L has 2 mini display port and the 3L replace this with full size display port and dual link dvi.
-
Not clear if the 3L has better or worse part (it is after all a newer revision). The mentioned gigabyte is the same size as the 2L and $30 more.

Yea I'm trying to decide between the sapphire 100352-2L and 100352-3L. Amazon has the 2L for $269 and newegg has the 3L for $289. The 3L is $20 more; the one feature that appeals to me is that it is shorter which makes it a sure fit in my pc-9f (the 2L will be very tight since I can't remove the drive bay).
-
From overclock threads it suonds like the 2L allows water cooling (not relevant to me) and has vram temp probe; otherwise it is very unclear which is better (to me). They do have different connectors - the 2L has 2 mini display port and the 3L replace this with full size display port and dual link dvi.
-
Not clear if the 3L has better or worse part (it is after all a newer revision). The mentioned gigabyte is the same size as the 2L and $30 more.

The 3L is a custom PCB. unlocked voltage and a good cooler. its easy to overclock to 1150 mhz. go with the card as its 27cm long and should fit in your case easily.

I'd avoid Sapphire from all the reviews I've read over troubles with their customer support. I went with MSi's and while I haven't overclocked it yet, I'm very happy with it's performance. Gigabyte should be a solid choice as well from all I hear. So would be HIS's dual fan version and Powercolor's.

From those 4 and possibly others take your pick. I'd avoid XFXs since it seems to lack good overclocking/temps, and Sapphire for poor customer support (Also I've never gotten any rebates back from them).

Back