Which 37" 1080p LCD Monitor? (Westy seems discontinued)

kaidomac

Weaksauce
I'm looking for a nice, big LCD monitor for my dad's CAD rig. 1920x1200 is the perfect resolution. I was going to go with a Westinghouse LVM-37w3 37" LCD, but they seem to be discontinued and there's no new models on their website. I want an LCD Monitor vs. an LCD TV so that it will look better for computer use (since TVs never seem too perfect for usage as high-res computer monitors). Also looking for a 1080p 32" LCD Monitor for another project, but that Westy is discontinued as well.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a nice, big LCD monitor for my dad's CAD rig. 1920x1200 is the perfect resolution. I was going to go with a Westinghouse LVM-37w3 37" LCD, but they seem to be discontinued and there's no new models on their website. I want an LCD Monitor vs. an LCD TV so that it will look better for computer use (since TVs never seem too perfect for usage as high-res computer monitors). Also looking for a 1080p 32" LCD Monitor for another project, but that Westy is discontinued as well.

Any suggestions?

I'm not really sure what you are looking for here. The westinghouse is an LCD TV and 1080p is generally reserved for TV's. 1920x1200 is not 1080p.

If you buy a 30" lcd monitor you're going to be getting 2560x1600 resolution. You wont be finding any 30"+ lcd monitors meant for PC use that are 1920x1200. im thinking if your dad is into graphics and design it would be better to get an lcd monitor meant for PC use.

Could you clarify what it is exactly you need/want?

I'm not really sure what you are looking for here. The westinghouse is an LCD TV and 1080p is generally reserved for TV's. 1920x1200 is not 1080p.

If you buy a 30" lcd monitor you're going to be getting 2560x1600 resolution. You wont be finding any 30"+ lcd monitors meant for PC use that are 1920x1200. im thinking if your dad is into graphics and design it would be better to get an lcd monitor meant for PC use.

Could you clarify what it is exactly you need/want?

I know 1080p != 1920x1200, but most people know what it refers to in terms of LCD monitors, and some LCD monitors are advertised as 1080p even though they have a resolution of 1920x1200, so it was easier to write that for the OP :) 1920x1080 works equally well for this situation. The point is, he's older and wears glasses, so having a larger 37" display with the 1920x1200/1080 resolution is better than a 30" display with 2560x1600 resolution. It's not for graphics design, it's for CAD. Color accuracy isn't particularly important, just text and line readability, which is why I'm looking for a large LCD monitor, not an LCD TV.

Westinghouse, among others, makes large LCD Monitors that are sold in TV resolutions and are meant to be used as computer monitors. The Westy LVM-37w3 model I was referring to is one such monitor - it is sold as a 1080p Monitor (1920x1080):

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=56

So what exactly I'm looking for is exactly what I put in the title - I'm looking for a good 37" 1080p (or 1920x1200, whichever is fine) LCD Monitor. That particular Westinghouse model is discontinued and is out of stock, and there is no replacement currently listed on Westinghouse's website. Thus the question :)

I think some of the newer Sharp Aquos are good, IIRC. Can't remember if they have a 37" though.

If you wanna pick it up I'll sell you my LVM-37W3. :D

LCD monitor vs. TV -- distinction has become a bit blurred. Samsung TVs offer a PC mode, which makes them monitors...

Because the westinghouse is like 3 years old, the westinghouse 37" can't last forever. Sure it was good back then, when there was not much competition. But now there are to many better choices from samsung, lg or sony for a 32", 37" or 40" 1080p screen

Because the westinghouse is like 3 years old, the westinghouse 37" can't last forever. Sure it was good back then, when there was not much competition. But now there are to many better choices from samsung, lg or sony for a 32", 37" or 40" 1080p screen

I'm just trying to find something that will work well as a PC monitor - good text, clear picture, etc. A lot of the flatscreens I've used with computers have overscan issues, fuzzy text, and other problems that make them sub-par for a computer monitor.

I don't know about that. My friend has a new expensive sony that he uses with his PC. Its newer then the westy sure but I could not notice any difference in visual quality in gaming except for the fact its 3" bigger.

The westy maybe older (The SE version though is certainly not 3 years old) but 1080p is 1080p. Meaning if you have a 37" westy now unless your looking to go bigger what more will you really get from buying a new 1080p LCD if its used as basically a monitor for gaming? I realize newer LCD's have higher contrast ratio's and response times but the Sony my bud has, has all that and it even says 120 refresh rate too on the box, though when vsync was on it still said 60 in fraps. Loaded up Crysis and it didn't look any better and we both have the same video card.

What I have found is the best large displays that are used as PC monitors and are 1080 have no TV tuner. This reduces the chance for input lag from what I have seen.

2 things would cause me to upgrade to a newer display. First is this one dies :) 2nd is that a 37" monitor comes along with a higher resolution than 1080p. More pixels at the same large size would be hard for me to pass up.

I'm just trying to find something that will work well as a PC monitor - good text, clear picture, etc. A lot of the flatscreens I've used with computers have overscan issues, fuzzy text, and other problems that make them sub-par for a computer monitor.

The Westy w3 works fine as a monitor. I have had mine for a little over 1 1/2 years. Its mostly just for gaming but I have used it to surf, email and other misc stuff. I am using it now as I type this.

The text is clear, there is no overscan. I have had no ghosting issues or input lag. I had to calibrate for black levels, that's about it. The only real problem I had in the beginning was that I was sitting too close to it. It gave me eyestrain. I built a new keyboard tray further back and now all is well.

The Westy w3 works fine as a monitor. I have had mine for a little over 1 1/2 years. Its mostly just for gaming but I have used it to surf, email and other misc stuff. I am using it now as I type this.

The text is clear, there is no overscan. I have had no ghosting issues or input lag. I had to calibrate for black levels, that's about it. The only real problem I had in the beginning was that I was sitting too close to it. It gave me eyestrain. I built a new keyboard tray further back and now all is well.

What would you recommend to replace it with nowadays?

I am kind of out of the loop so I am not the best to ask about the newest. I have read good things about a 32" Sharp Aquos LC-32GP3U though.

I found a post at anandtech kind of asking what your question is, which is what hot deal is out there in big displays used as PC monitors. A few suggestions there at (what looks like) good prices.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2256615&enterthread=y

Just go to bestbuy and try one out. If you don't like it, then take it back and try another and keep going until you find the one you like or have tried out every LCD. When you find the one you like, keep it or take it back and buy it cheaper online.

Hah, is the monitor crappy? Two people making sales offers triggers a hardware issue alert :p

Nah. The 37W3 is great as a PC monitor and reasonable as a TV. But I was more interested in a great television than a great PC monitor, and downgraded to a slightly smaller Samsung model.

Samsung. (Panasonic has an issue with certain colored text. Though I'm still hoping someone finds some setting that fixes it...)

Any suggestions?
How about the Sharp Aquos 37" 1080p LCD HDTV w/Vyper Drive Game LC37GP1U $949.99 plus free shipping @ NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101116

or $899.99 @ Tiger Direct and no price quoted on shipping cost.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3391319&CatId=37

Also on the 32", NewEgg has the newer version of the Sharp AQUOS 32" 1080p LCD HDTV w/Vyper Drive Game LC32GP1U, for about the same price as the 37" above. But Sharp dropped the DVI-I from it and D-sub 15-pin. The SHARP AQUOS 32" 16:9 6ms 1080p LCD HDTV LC-32GP3U, which comes in White Red or Black (which is out of stock).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2005 138982080 1288924673 1389027312&name=32"

Or get the Sharp AQUOS 32" 1080p LCD HDTV w/Vyper Drive Game LC32GP1U on EBay. Which they have 2 new one's and 1 refurbished ranging in price from $625 to 999.99
http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/it...omfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=3320

Hope this helps you out.

Sharp has an issue with text as well due to their proprietary pixel structure that they believe optimizes their panels for TV.

It's still fine, but not quite as clear as on some other brands...

Nothing wrong with mine that makes it unusable, like someone else said, I just want something a bit more mobile for LAN parties. Though I keep flip-flopping back and forth, it's great for my 360 and it's nice to sit back on the couch and watch movies on my computer with my kb in my lap. So maybe I'll just get a newer monitor. Hell if I know. :D

Sharp has an issue with text as well due to their proprietary pixel structure that they believe optimizes their panels for TV.

It's still fine, but not quite as clear as on some other brands...

Yeah that's the main thing, I want really clear text, and lines for CAD. So many people have given the Westinghouse LCD Monitors good reviews for being giant screens that it seemed like a good choice. Didn't realize how old they were haha.

if you're looking at doing CAD work, I had an LN32A550 monitor running at 1920x1080, and I didn't like the jaggies caused because the the size of the pixels. At 37", it's only going to look worse...

Dave

I'm also looking for a replacement for my lvm-37w3. I was thinking maybe the Samsung LN40A550 or LN40A630. Does anyone have any experience with these as a computer monitor? They don't have DVI inputs but I can just get a DVI to HDMI cable.

Back