Which 1155 motherboard with display out (no overclocking)

you2

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for an inexpensive motherboard that has display out and pci slots. I prefer full size but micro atx might be ok. The H67 seem to run around $100 but none seem to have display out (perhaps I missed one?) and the micro-atx boards seem to not have pci slots.
-
The z68 asrock extreme 4 seems to have the features I would like (display out; appears reliable; and 2 pci slots).
-
While I'll probably go with the 2500K (micro center $179) I do not require overclocking. This is for a linux system I use for web browsing; watching tv (cable; not over the air), email and (reason for processing power) transencoding. It is currently an e6300/7300 gs which seems to struggle since I've upgraded the monitor from 1280x1024 to 1920x1080.
-
The primary motivation for pci slots is the old tv tuner I have (bt240) from 2000. The reason for a full size case is the system will have 5 hd (currently has 3).
-

Last edited:
If I were you I'd have a look at Intels own motherboards, while they may not be filled with features they have in general non buggy bioses (ACPI etc) and you get Intel LAN which is much appreciated in Linux/*BSD due to compatibility and performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121506

A Intel Q67 will also give you KVM support but is about 20-30$ more, otherwise pretty much the same board.

The E8400 is still have good performance but your video card is quite old so I guess that's a bottleneck for overall performance.

//Danne

Hum. But I need PCI slots (2 slots). The second is mostly so I can work around issue with linux drivers until they mature for 2500K. I'm actually on 10.04 (LTS); but even 11.04 is struggling a bit with some of the new devices. I'll probably do a full upgrade on the next LTS; but can upgrade the kernel early via PPA.

It sounds like with 11.04 they changed the sound interface and that broke most of the tv cards.
--
Hum. It turns out that the motherboard I have (Asus P5B-E) will support a Q9505 at a reduced FSB; I wonder if that would be the way to go. The Q9505 seems to be a huge increase in speed over the E6300 and it uses less power most of the time. The only real negative seems to be that I have to keep using the 7300Gs and memory access is quite a bit slower than doing a full upgrade; but it saves the cost of new memory and mb.

Last edited:
Back