Where to buy Intel Core i5-2500T?

Acer_Sheep

[H]ard|Gawd
Someone ever found where to get it? I'm considering to upgrading to this low power beast.

You could just get a 2400 and underclock/undervolt it. Although you will not get the turbo of the 2500T. Remember the only thing low power about this is its factory set policy of running at a lower clock and lower voltage.

Ah, so If I buy i5-2500 for example and I underclock it to 2.3(the freq of 2500T) I will just make it 2500T by performance and power consumption?

Pretty much. Though you can do the same with the Core i5 2400 as well as the only big difference between the 2400 and 2500 is the 200 Mhz clock speed increase of the 2500. Since you're downclocking anyway, that 200Mhz makes no difference.

Yes, well I am interested in building new super silent and low power system and since supplies on these T versions of intel desktop processors are limited I'm thinking I will buy the full one and underclock it to achieve the power saving.

Will I be able to do that with all the chipsets or I need P67 or Z68 with OC support to also downgrade them?

Will I be able to do that with all the chipsets or I need P67 or Z68 with OC support to also downgrade them?

Probably should be looking at P67 or Z68 mobos since they're more likely to have options for voltage controls and such than the H67 or H61 chipsets.

2500T is going to be a better binned cpu than a 2400.
No suffix = normal cpu (95w)
S = low power (65w)
T = even lower power (45w)

Generally the lower power cpu's are better binned as they run on (much?) lower voltages.

2400S is available at newegg and not ridiculously expensive, might want to look into that. It also doesn't sacrifice too much performance.

The Intel® Core™ i5-2500T is designed to be a processor in a thin form factor chassis like a HTPC or Mini-ITX and it does come with a low profile HSF (heatsink/fan) for that environment. This is why it has a much lower clock speed and TDP.

2500T is going to be a better binned cpu than a 2400.
No suffix = normal cpu (95w)
S = low power (65w)
T = even lower power (45w)

Generally the lower power cpu's are better binned as they run on (much?) lower voltages.

2400S is available at newegg and not ridiculously expensive, might want to look into that. It also doesn't sacrifice too much performance.

It may be a little better binned however, I would expect it to be pretty easy to get a 2400 or 2500 to a 45W TDP if you run it at 2.3GHz.

It may be a little better binned however, I would expect it to be extremely easy to get a 2400 or 2500 to a 45W TDP if you run it at 2.3GHz.

I'd still take the 2400S. 2.5Ghz w/turbo to 3.3Ghz, and only 65w.

It is more likely to do with microcode which will not run the CPU at a high frequency or at high voltage or at a high sustained current level. There is a lower voltage threshold below which a chip will not operate regardless of the frequency and that is unlikely to be affected by binning.

Under normal operating environment your chip rarely gets close to the TDP. By keeping the voltage and frequency low, you can ensure that you can maintain much lower power dissipation even at full CPU loads.

Power = C V^2 f.
A 20% increase in peak voltage (from 1.2V to 1.44V) and a 40% increase peak frequency (2.5 to 3.5) will give you that 100% increase in peak power.

The Intel® Core™ i5-2500T is designed to be a processor in a thin form factor chassis like a HTPC or Mini-ITX and it does come with a low profile HSF (heatsink/fan) for that environment. This is why it has a much lower clock speed and TDP.
Are not all intel CPUs at least since lynnfield sold with a low profile heatsink? Even i7-2700 is still sold with same heatsink as T and S versions of i3 and i5.
It is more likely to do with microcode which will not run the CPU at a high frequency or at high voltage or at a high sustained current level. There is a lower voltage threshold below which a chip will not operate regardless of the frequency and that is unlikely to be affected by binning.

Under normal operating environment your chip rarely gets close to the TDP. By keeping the voltage and frequency low, you can ensure that you can maintain much lower power dissipation even at full CPU loads.

Power = C V^2 f.
A 20% increase in peak voltage (from 1.2V to 1.44V) and a 40% increase peak frequency (2.5 to 3.5) will give you that 100% increase in peak power.
If you consider stuff like speed step and so on. The CPU can work underclocked as low as 1.6 GHz and 0.8V. Which is not my goal but I'm very interested in how to build fast but also silent and energy efficient computer, It's no longer just about raw performance as it once was. Considering either getting the 2400S or 2500S, or even and i7 in my next build.

Are not all intel CPUs at least since lynnfield sold with a low profile heatsink? Even i7-2700 is still sold with same heatsink as T and S versions of i3 and i5.

Lower power chips have even shorter heat sinks..

Back