What will you do with your Sandy Bridge board?

I'll

• ...return it and wait until new boards are available for purchase.

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • ...keep it and hope that I can get it replaced without having to "prove" that it is faulty.

Votes: 114 80.9%

• Total voters
How about those reaching the 30 day return policy threshold and dont want to take the chance that your manufacturer may screw you over and not fully replace the board.

I will accept nothing less than a full exchange for a BRAND new motherboard when the time comes. None of this refurb crap.

Time for a chargeback then.

My asus board just went up in smoke a couple days ago, and I am in rma limbo right now, not even sure if they will have a pro in stock to advance rma to me. What can I do? Fry's policy is only 2 weeks, and I bought everything on the 9th.

Return it hopefully, I just wrote an email to the place where I purchased it and lets see what they have to say.

I'm not terribly concerned about it. I have had pretty good luck and it has been working well for me. I did switch the SATA connections, as a preventative step. Intel seems to be trying to get in front of this,and I think Asus will do the right thing as well.

I've already sold off my old rig (cpu, mobo, ram). This system is the only one working for me (have a laptop but no way will I use it as my main rig. Heck it has a Geforce 5200 Go in there so forget it!) so there is no way I am returning the board. I have to keep it for now unless I decide to pick up a 1156 CPU (got a Gigabyte 1156 MATX mobo lying around. Can reuse all my other stuff).

I'm not terribly concerned about it. I have had pretty good luck and it has been working well for me. I did switch the SATA connections, as a preventative step. Intel seems to be trying to get in front of this,and I think Asus will do the right thing as well.

I feel the same way, I switched my HDD and optical drive to the 6G connectors and I may just keep the MB since I will probably never have more than 1 HDD and 1 optical drive.

I am keeping mine it runs flawless and I do not use the SATA 2 ports..I will wait patiently for a replacement..
Just use the Sata 3 ports..

If they:

Send out Advanced Replacement motherboards -- I will accept it graciously.

Require you to send them the motherboard, and then ship you a replacement -- I'll ask for refund of the total price for a motherboard and shipping/handling. Then I'll buy a new board that comes with proper SATA silicon.

Send out SATA Add-On Cards in PCI Express or PCI form-factor -- I'll refuse it and initiate a chargeback for the price of the board as well as shipping/handling. My system is full. I have no room for any additional cards. This is not a viable option for me.
This

At times like this I'm grateful that the UK has some pretty strict consumer rights laws.

I'm not sure I would take a refurbished board. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra with a full refund (with deep discounts for us affected users) for a Z68 board. As of this moment my overclocking potential is worth more to me than hard drive performance issues which I can easily fix with a controller card (free from manufacturer would be nice). I'm not sure a refurbished board will take me to 4.8Ghz stable. And lastly, rebuilding is too much work, heh.

All is well thus far though.

Just got all my stuff today. What a bummer, I'm going to send it back.

Keep it and see if I can RMA it when they start shipping the fixed boards.

If not I will just replace it later in the year. I knew there could be issues being an early adopter. I knew what was getting in to buying something at launch.

Keep it and see if I can RMA it when they start shipping the fixed boards.

If not I will just replace it later in the year. I knew there could be issues being an early adopter. I knew what was getting in to buying something at launch.
I'll be doing the same. Its not really that big of a deal if they don't flat out die within the next couple months and if this issue doesn't cause any other problems.

I'll be doing the same. Its not really that big of a deal if they don't flat out die within the next couple months and if this issue doesn't cause any other problems.

I just received my parts in the mail yesterday. I plan on building tonight and assuming the board works then I will probably keep it and hold out that they will replace. I only have 1 sata hd and 1 sata optical drive, so I can use the 6gb/s ports.

If the board doesn't work I am obviously going to send it back, get my money back, but hold onto my i5-2500k. Then once the fixed motherboards start making their appearance I'll get one of them.

I also bought 6gb of ram and a gtx 570. My plan is to use my gtx 570 with my current setup in the new case that is coming if the mobo doesn't work.

I currently have a q6600 at stock speeds, so I really don't want to send this stuff back, especially since they should have the boards fixed in the next couple of months.

I'm probably going to sell off my stuff to a friend and let it become his headache lol jk. I bought this stuff as an upgrade to my 1090t/crosshair iv setup and found that it's not a super big upgrade(IMO). Sure, it is on benchmarks and stuff, but for gaming, I think the cost outweighs the performance gain. I will wait and see what Bulldozer and the other Intel stuff does before buying anything!

Going to use the 2 ports that work and see what the manufactures do_Only have 2 SATA devices anyway.

I understand a lot of peoples concern that they want to preserve the resell value. However, for me I take so long to upgrade that by the time I do, I can barely get anything for my parts anyway, so I usually hold onto them. As long as they get me a board with working 3gb/s sata port, then I'll be happy personally.

from anandtech

"Intel maintains that Sandy Bridge CPUs are not affected, and current users are highly unlikely to encounter the issue even under heavy loads. So far Intel has only been able to document the issue after running extended testing at high temperatures (in a thermal chamber) and voltages. My recommendation is to try to only use ports 0 & 1 (the 6Gbps ports) on your 6-series motherboard until you get a replacement in place."

I won't even be using the 3gb/s ports hardly ever, if at all, so luckily for me that isn't an issue, but I understand people have a lot more loaded system then i do.

Keeping mine and continuing to run my 4 ssds in a raid on the sata II ports.

Come one people the ports are not 100% broken! There is a 5-15% chance they will have issues over 3 years. Users are talking like the ports don't work and can't be used. My raids running like a champ.

As far as I'm concerned the recall isn't even necessary. It is great that intel stepped up to the plate and handled it. But frankly i watch customers buy crappy compaq and hp laptops with a 50%+ chance of having bad motherboards in 1-2 years all day long. And people seem to think that failure rate is just fine.

I understand a lot of peoples concern that they want to preserve the resell value. However, for me I take so long to upgrade that by the time I do, I can barely get anything for my parts anyway, so I usually hold onto them. As long as they get me a board with working 3gb/s sata port, then I'll be happy personally.

from anandtech

"Intel maintains that Sandy Bridge CPUs are not affected, and current users are highly unlikely to encounter the issue even under heavy loads. So far Intel has only been able to document the issue after running extended testing at high temperatures (in a thermal chamber) and voltages. My recommendation is to try to only use ports 0 & 1 (the 6Gbps ports) on your 6-series motherboard until you get a replacement in place."

I won't even be using the 3gb/s ports hardly ever, if at all, so luckily for me that isn't an issue, but I understand people have a lot more loaded system then i do.

So what I understand from the above Anandtech statement is you may get SATA errors and eventual port failure if: 1) You constantly move around a very large amount of data, DVD archiving, for example; 2) Your ambient temps, while moving said data, are too hot for comfort; and 3) an excessive amount of voltage is being used. This should eliminate a good 95% of us.

Don't worry, be happy!:p

Mine was holding up great until the 1204 bios update killed it. Kinda wish I had just been happy with a running machine as returning it or RMA's seem to be a nightmare now with the recall.

Keep it and return Asus P8P67. Good thing the retailer said that they will do exchange.

I feel sorry for those who received a board that does not work for other reasons, as they are the ones caught in catch twenty two, especially if they do not have back up system. I love the new board, running perfect, no glitches, and I may not even return when replacement boards become available. I had an extra S2 card laying around, and space to insert it even with sli setup, so this is no longer a problem that I need to concern myself with, unless I am missing something.

Well I was going to keep mine till a replacement could be had,but it died on me,not the board itself but the CPU up and died,so im sending it all back. for a full refund.

Mine was holding up great until the 1204 bios update killed it. Kinda wish I had just been happy with a running machine as returning it or RMA's seem to be a nightmare now with the recall.
RMA process with ASUS was awesome. I should have my new p8p67 today. I plan to hold on to it until the new boards come out in a few more months and then I will exchange it according to whatever the plans are on the recall.

I chatted with Intel Tech support and they told me I will have to get a replacement DP67BG from my retailer when B3 boards are available.

Back