what to do with socket 478 P3 (not 4)?

Lazn_Work

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I have a SL5CL socket 478 mobile P3 at work from a dead laptop. (voltage regulators on MB died, so CPU should be fine)

I was wondering what I should do with it. It is 1.2ghz and has 512k of cache, so it is a hot little CPU, if not the greatest in the world. http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?procfam=55

I don't have another laptop with the same socket (otherwise I would use it to upgrade that one) and I am quite sure that it will not work in a P4 socket 478 MB.

Do I just keep it around incase I get another laptop with the same socket? Or just get rid of it and forget about it?

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
Well I have a SL5CL socket 478 mobile P3 at work from a dead laptop. (voltage regulators on MB died, so CPU should be fine)

I was wondering what I should do with it. It is 1.2ghz and has 512k of cache, so it is a hot little CPU, if not the greatest in the world. http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?procfam=55

I don't have another laptop with the same socket (otherwise I would use it to upgrade that one) and I am quite sure that it will not work in a P4 socket 478 MB.

Do I just keep it around incase I get another laptop with the same socket? Or just get rid of it and forget about it?

==>Lazn

hmmmm I only thought they came in socket 370.. learned something new today

what??! I didn't know they had socket 478 pin P3's.

I don't think it will work, b/c P4's have a quad pumped bus.
P3's didn't. So I don't think it would be compatible.

P.S. what chipset did the motherboard have? 815 ?

OOC, what package is that mobile P3 in? is it FCPGA-2 or one of those weird TCPs?

nylint said:
OOC, what package is that mobile P3 in? is it FCPGA-2 or one of those weird TCPs?

It says Intel micro-FCPGA.

512kb cache... only Tualatin had 512kb right? Coppermine was 256?

Too bad its only for SDRAM SO-DIMMS :(

Most Tualatins had 256k. Only the PIII-S (and apparently the mobile PIII) had 512k.

that's a nice little chip. hope you find something to run it in.

Lazn_Work said:

Gateway Support said:
Processor side bus
133 MHz processor side bus

Thats 133. (with no quad pump)

Its going to incompatible with anything but maybe another 830 chipset motherboard. Maybe you can buy an old used laptop (with a broken screen or other problem) cheap and build a SFF computer or something with it.

But, I'd probably just put the chip on ebay and see what you can get for it.

Back