What should I rip my Music CDs with ?

Dantrax

Gawd
Using Win 7 Pro I want to rip my music CDs to my HDD, so I can make my own music CDs for my car. Any suggestions on the best settings to use to get good sounding CDs would be appreciated. Thanks

I've always used CDex because it is free and easy to use. I wouldn't concern yourself overly much with quality, unless the CD is damaged there will be no flaws in the rip.

I always use EAC because it error checks. If you have a moderately scratched CD you can still get a good rip. If it's really bad, like some of the cds I get from the library, use one of those disk polisher things and then you'll get a perfect rip. I used to take them to Game Crazy to polish but they're gone now.

I use EAC as well. Does your car have mp3/cd capability?

I usually rip to FLAC then make a 320kbps Mp3 version.

I am a die hard dBpoweramp Reference guy the software has a large number of capabilities including batch processing, auto-tagging, secure lookup AccuRip, as well as excellent multi-threading abilities.

Rip to FLAC and keep those on a separate backup storage drive, then convert those to your preferred lossy formats for main portable use.

EAC as mentioned is also top of the line.

Whatever you do stay away from most of that built in media player ripping junk. Well for most people those things are just fine and suitable. But since you're asking I'll just assume you want better. :)

Last edited:
Have used EAC as long as i can remember. Rip to flac then if i want to burn an mp3 disc for the car just use foobar to rip to mp3. Works beautifully.

EAC and dbPoweramp are pretty much the best 2, due to their use of AccurateRip.

i keep both installed, since I occasionally run into a problem with each of them. If you don't care about bit-perfect rips, then just use iTunes or Windows Media Player. The errors you will get in a typical rip with those programs typically aren't audible.

I like CDex and eac. Cdex would rip stuff that EAC's error correction slowed to a crawl, but then EAC can do stuff CDex couldn't. But those were years ago. They have probably improved.

I use foobar 2000 with the lame mp3 encoder. foobar2k can also burn to CDs and is an excellent media player. foobar 2k isn't one of those all-in-one half-baked media players!

still use cdex. tried eac but it crashed on me a couple times and cdex is what I tried next. been using it ever since.

Used to use CDEX. It clips everything and makes nasty mp3's for me now that I have a good soundcard. I'm sure it's just settings but EAC worked out of the box and it's better for archiving flac etc.

Back