what is the operating system that u prefer the most

what do you use your computer for?, gaming, programming, 3D rendering etc. etc.

Personally i use both, Windows 7, Linux (Debian), OsX and a little Sun Solaris 8 for my Sun Sparc Machines.

Last edited:
Linux for work and light gaming.
Windows only for games
MAC for day-to-day stuff. Love the battery life
ChromeOS for a disposable laptop when I travel out of the country.
FreeBSD for my fileserver.
EdgeOS for my firewall.

I also prefer Linux. Now that more games are coming out for it, I don't really have a reason to boot the Windows partition anymore.

Windows 10. There is really no reason to use an older OS if you have a choice. The only systems I put 7 on anymore are older systems that lack the NX bit (required for 8.1 and 10) or systems that have driver issues with 10 (Radeon 4xxx series and older only have Microsoft drivers available for 10, which makes crossfire much harder to enable, etc). The telemetry BS has been so hyped up it's ridiculous. Smart phones, steam, google, etc already collect the same if not more data, and Windows 10 actually gives you far more options as far as turning stuff off than any of those. You can't blame Microsoft for wanting to jump on the data collection bandwagon, given how no one gave the slightest shit about the same tracking happening on their phones, etc. Somehow Microsoft is evil when it tries to take the same path. And again, the data we are talking about is really not useful for anything worth getting paranoid about.

I prefer Linux for the most part, especially since gaming support has improved. I still have a Windows 10 based PC here, but I rarely use it anymore.

Preferred Distro: Ubuntu Mate 15.10.

Windows 7 Pro or Linux Mint.

Windows 8/10 have only been a regression in features for desktop users, plus there's all the spyware nonsense they're pulling.

Windows 7 FTW. Won't give up Win 7 until support ends in 2020. Since I have multiple machines I could run Windows 10 on a VM or another system but it really offers nothing I'm interested in.

Prefer most for what purpose?

General use and gaming, Windows X.
Servers, Windows Server X, Ubuntu Server X, CentOS/RHEL X.
My laptop, Mint X or OpenSUSE X.

X=whatever version is the current version that works most optimally for the task.

My favorite OS is linux, and my distribution of choice is Ubuntu. I stick to the LTS versions, so currently running 14.04 and getting ready to move to 16.04. Although more recently I have also used CentOS because Red Hat is so widely used in the business world. I build a crazy number of machines, both physical and virtual, so the fact that linux is free is a HUGE plus to me. I have not paid for an OS since at least Windows 95, and it actually may be Win 3.1 / DOS 6.2 (I think I scored my Win95 license for free while working in retail, at CompUSA, but that was a long time ago and my recollection is fuzzy).

I do use Windows quite a bit as well. Even though I have not bought any copies, I do legally have a Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition license for my domain controller (thank you, Dreamspark!) as well as a few copies of Win 7 that I upgraded to 10 which came with laptops. I use Windows for games that I can't get to run on linux, and for development work in Visual Studio and SQL Server. I really like Storage Spaces and we use that as our family movie library storage and other file server needs on the server. If I didn't have the Server 2012 R2 license I'd be using FreeNAS instead.

Windows 7 - gaming only, 5% of my time

Linux - everything eles, 95% of my time

Windows 7 and as far as Linux goes, I've been kicking around KaOS and Korora. Setting up a Filelocker server (it's like ownCloud but with better access control) under Ubuntu Server.

Windows 7, windows 8.1 with 3rd party software, Linux Mint.

Prefer Linux, debian mainly because fuck it. Use Mac at work, I like it.

Same - prefer Linux, Debian-based preferably. Use Mac at work. Have the obligatory Windows install for gaming. I like them all, but prefer Linux if I have a choice in the matter.

People are going to laugh but I still love Windows Vista. I reinstalled it onto my old QX9650 running a pair of Nvidia 680's on a 1920x1200 monitor that my nephew uses as his gaming computer. I swear it run better than 7 on that rig.

Windows 10 Pro on my home computer, work computer and Surface Pro 3 tablet. :D Windows 7 Pro, Windows Vista Business, Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu Linux in Virtual machines. (Home and Work.) Do wish I could get OS/2 Warp and Windows 98 working fully in a virtual machine as well.

Windows 10 unless I'm working then I use Linux (Currently Ubuntu Mate)

I work from home as a server admin/support tech I prefer Linux for work even thougj I can do the job on Windows. If I could find a suitable windows version of Terminator I might use Windows full time. The one thing I really missed from Linux in windows was highlight to copy, middle click to paste, I use the shit out of that all day at work, but I found a program that will allow me to do it in windows.

Rather than dual boot I use a hard drive switcher, I just turn on whatever drives I need and turn off the ones I dont. Dont have to mess with grub or windows mbr that way.

Windows 10 unless I'm working then I use Linux (Currently Ubuntu Mate)

I work from home as a server admin/support tech I prefer Linux for work even thougj I can do the job on Windows. If I could find a suitable windows version of Terminator I might use Windows full time. The one thing I really missed from Linux in windows was highlight to copy, middle click to paste, I use the shit out of that all day at work, but I found a program that will allow me to do it in windows.

Rather than dual boot I use a hard drive switcher, I just turn on whatever drives I need and turn off the ones I dont. Dont have to mess with grub or windows mbr that way.

I don't get it? If you're currently getting by just fine under Linux, why on earth would you want to switch to Windows?

I don't get it? If you're currently getting by just fine under Linux, why on earth would you want to switch to Windows?

I use linux 40 hours a week because it suits my work flow. If I could get the exact same work flow using Windows I would use it for work and not have to boot a different OS for work. I prefer to use Windows because gaming. If Linux ever FULLY supports gaming then maybe I'd preffer Linux.

I use linux 40 hours a week because it suits my work flow. If I could get the exact same work flow using Windows I would use it for work and not have to boot a different OS for work. I prefer to use Windows because gaming. If Linux ever FULLY supports gaming then maybe I'd preffer Linux.

Fair enough.

I'm going the other way. All the games I prefer to play are now fully supported under Linux and I'm over the licencing issues/privacy issues/general boringness of Windows and by far prefer Linux these days.

It's interesting seeing how we all justify our decision making processes when choosing an OS that suits our needs.

Windows 10 Pro for main do everything rig .. Chrome OS on Acer Chromebook for watching movies, surfing occasionally, Android on the several tablets I have laying around ... Linux firewall (Untangle) .. FreeNAS based on FreeBSD .. Windows 10 on my main gaming rig -XBOX One

I still have a soft spot for Windows 3.11 on top of DOS 6.22. Those were simpler times.

I finally managed to install mac os x el capitan on my pc after years of trying. and, man, windows 10 looks a lot better. I am not lying. I love windows 10.

I fucking hate it.

Sticking with Windows 7 Pro on my sig rig (bit of everything).

Work laptop's Mac OS X and Win 10 (forced update but I seldom use it) and Linux for office duties.

Windows 10 Pro for main do everything rig .. Chrome OS on Acer Chromebook for watching movies, surfing occasionally, Android on the several tablets I have laying around ... Linux firewall (Untangle) .. FreeNAS based on FreeBSD .. Windows 10 on my main gaming rig -XBOX One

Isn't it funny how Xbox One users class themselves as console gamers?

Really the only thing defining 'console' is the use of a hand controller.

Back