What is the best all around 22" Widescreen LCD?

Hey guys :)

I am looking for a new 22" widescreen LCD.

What is the best all around 22" Widescreen LCD?

I would like one with a very good viewing angle.

I need it mainly for internet surfing but also for some gaming {Madden) and movie watching.

Thanks

The Lenovo L220x is the only non-TN 22" monitor that I know of. A S-PVA monitor like this has better viewing angles as well as better color reproduction than any TN; IPS is even better, but even more expensive and not available at all in 22". The Lenovo is not cheap, but then it has the same number of pixels as a 24" widescreen (1920x1200) and a much better stand than most.

Very possibly (I think it's a bit small on my 24" :D ), but you asked for one with a wide viewing angle and good for movies, and that's the only one. ;) For many more choices of good quality monitors, you'll have to either go down to 20" or up to 24". 22" is a vast wasteland of not-so-great TN panels for the most part.

Would the text be too small at 1920x1200 on a 22"?
If you have used laptops with higher than antique resolution screens then it won't be problem. And you can increase font size of Windows and keep monitor little closer without pixels becoming visible.
Especially considering 1920x1200 can show full-HD material (makes DVD look like crap) without any downscaling there's no doupt which is best consumer priced 22" all around monitor.

But if you want 1680x1050 Eizo S2231W is also S-PVA. Also Samsung released one 22" S-PVA in CeBit but I don't know about availability.

And you can increase font size of Windows and keep monitor little closer without pixels becoming visible.

This will make a lot of things look like crap. (The tray icons, desktop icons, web pages in which the text is scaled but not the images, web pages in which the images are scaled, too.)

IMO, 1900x1200 on a 22" will make the text too small. 22" is the "bigger pitch" size. If someone wants sharper, smaller text, he can get a 20" or a 24".

I think the problem here is the lack of quality on LCD monitors even at the E-IPS range.

There is no "BEST" all around 22" Widescreen. Each model has different reasons why it is better. You have TN for gaming with 120HZ due to fast responce times. You have PVA vs IPS and each is better in different instances.

As being a user of computers and monitors, I have seen the whole gamut of CRTs and LCD's and can categorically say there is no best.

As a consumer we have to weed through a pile of data and models and right now the waters are murky and its very dark around us. There will be light but not for awhile yet and new models are still on the horizon.

Dell seems to get priority orders with new panel technologies and tends to ship out very quick along with HP for mainstream monitors as well as Lenovo.

If you choose the right monitor, it will last over 10 years and still be running just like I did and provide a quality picture. If you choose wrong, you will have a broken monitor rather quickly.

The best monitors I have had have all been japanese made CRT's.

Eizo is Japanese LCD so obviously quality will be high and price will be high end.

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/s2242w/index.asp is the highest line of their 22".

The S2242W-H isn't that bad pricing wise for a high end 22". About the same price I paid for my Hitachi in 1998 for a high end monitor. But the technology still isn't quite evolved enough for me so I will wait further.

Last edited:
does anyone know of good authentic S-IPS 22'' flat panel monitors that are good buys at the moment?

does anyone know of good authentic S-IPS 22'' flat panel monitors that are good buys at the moment?
E-IPS is the best you're going to find at 22". A quick Newegg search shows no 22" S-IPS monitors so you're going to be looking for something used on ebay.

Last edited:

There are none. They don't exist. The only 22" IPS of any sort is the e-IPS Dell 2209WA.

Edit: resurrecting a 2-year-old thread isn't going to help you. You can't get what you want, because it doesn't exist and never did.

Last edited:
Back