What is the average life of a power supply?

There are no known problems with the HX620W.

If you have any issues, feel free to post them here or PM me and I'll take care of it somehow.

That settles it, I'm getting one.

Is 18A for a 12V rail enough? I've heard that people should look for at least 20A.

I don't really frequent these shady parts of the forums, who knows what you kids do here these days. (AKA: I'm dumb with PSUs...)

The 620HX has 3 12v rails that can output a total of around 41A combined

I take it that is much more than necessary?

EDIT: Oh great, I just found out Newegg isn't doing the 20 percent off through Paypal. Awesome... =[ I now have to use Buy.com

The 620HX has 3 12v rails that can output a total of around 41A combined

You're either thinking of the 550VX or you're adding up the rails, which you shoudn't.

Remember that wattage doesn't mean as much these days. What matters most is where those watts are being delivered. For current rigs, it's all about how much amps are on the +12V rail since most PC parts draw their power from there. You determine the amperage on the +12V rails by first finding out what's the total combined wattage set aside for the +12V rails alone. So for example, the Corsair 620HX has 600W on the +12V rail. Divide that total wattage for the +12V by 12 and you get how much amps the PSU has on the +12V rail. In this case, 600W divided by 12 is 50A. So the Corsair 620HX PSU has 50A on the +12V Rail. And that's plenty of power for many systems.

Also the Corsair 620HX is a single rail design IIRC. Corsair sent the wrong info to the label makers that said it was a multi-rail design. It was too late or too expensive to change the labels so they stuck with it.

Also the Corsair 620HX is a single rail design IIRC. Corsair sent the wrong info to the label makers that said it was a multi-rail design. It was too late or too expensive to change the labels so they stuck with it.

Pretty much true. What actually happened is we ordered the labels a good 3 months before the units were ready for production. During production, the ATX 2.2 spec was approved and this removed the 240VA limitation of the ATX 2.0 spec, so we changed the design to a single rail design.

But we still had tens of thousands of boxes and labels, so....

We could have changed the boxes and labels later, but then we'd have inadvertently created a "new revision" which people would have wanted to swap their identical parts for. Unfortunately we have seen this happen before.

So the HX520 and HX620 are really single rail designs, with 40A and 50A each, respectively, on the +12V rail.

I was not adding the rails(label says 18a each), just guesstimated based on what I knew about that PSU. According to Redbeard I actually underestimated too.

Did not know that about the rail design though lol, thats kinda strange. Would be a great trivia question. I knew the ATX spec had been changed to allow single rails, but not that the 620HX was actually single rail.

Just ordered a 620hx myself actually for my new build. Gonna have to wait until Jan to try it out though since I am waiting for a Q9450.

What's better, one monstrous rail or three separate rails and why?
One monstrous rail is more convenient.

Once upon a time, there was a train of thought that suggested multiple rails, each one dedicated for different section of your PC would keep power separated and cleaner. One rail would power motherboard, cpu, and addon devices. Another rail would be connected to videocards, third rail might be run out through all the harddrive and opical drive connectors. Or some such similar setup. Each rail isolated for noise from any frequencies that those attached devices might put back on the rail.

There was also some 240VA safety requirement that was tossed around per rail, IIRC.

In reality, it doesn't seem to be of any consequence.

Pulling numbers out of my ass here to make an example. If you have a 650W on 12V rails. 3x 18A rails.
rail 1-motherboard/cpu, pulls 12A
rail 2-videocard, needs 22A
rail3- harddrives/optical drives need 6A
480 W system

Your 480W needing system wouldn't function on this 650W (on 12V rail) power supply, because video card needs more current that it's designated rail can provide.
Single 54A (650W) rail, pulling 480 W load. Works fine with overhead.

I bought my first 620HX after reading the comparison article in CPU. I now own 2 of them and have not had an issue with either of them at all.

I highly recommend it to anyone putting a machine together and it furthers my confidence to see reps on the board backing up their products.

Just an FYI: ClubIt has the 620 for 107.99 AR (29 in MIR).

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A6200027

I take it that is much more than necessary?

EDIT: Oh great, I just found out Newegg isn't doing the 20 percent off through Paypal. Awesome... =[ I now have to use Buy.com

Really? I just ordered using the 20% off from Newegg and it worked fine...picked myself up a X38 board :D.

Who knows. There is no guarantee that the expensive PSU will last longer. I have a cheap Q-Tek PSU that still runs fine for 6+ years along with Duron 800mhz, Geforce 2 MX 200, etc. I'm gonna keep this old rig until it dies.. Gotta love old technology.

NeoHE 500W is doing fine for ~10 month.

OT: what is the difference between the TX and HX line of Corsair PSU's?

The TX line is non-modular and thus a little less expensive per watt. Also the TX has a 750W model, while the HX does not.

Effectively they are all 80 Plus certified, well-in-spec voltage regulation, upgraded internal capacitors, very quiet, and carry a 5 year warranty.

OT: what is the difference between the TX and HX line of Corsair PSU's?

The TX line is non-modular and thus a little less expensive per watt. Also the TX has a 750W model, while the HX does not.

Effectively they are all 80 Plus certified, well-in-spec voltage regulation, upgraded internal capacitors, very quiet, and carry a 5 year warranty.

Heh well Ok, and thats good and everything, but the VX's come in a white draw-string bag and the HX's bag is a much cooler black. (Either is perfect for getting organized and dumping all those extra cooling fans you have laying around into. ) I have not been able to determine if the nice quality case badge is the same for all products. $10K worth of Corsair memory and all I get is good performance and reliability :rolleyes:, one $100 Corsair power supply and I get performance, reliability, a bag AND a case badge ! :)

Heh well Ok, and thats good and everything, but the VX's come in a white draw-string bag and the HX's bag is a much cooler black. (Either is perfect for getting organized and dumping all those extra cooling fans you have laying around into. ) I have not been able to determine if the nice quality case badge is the same for all products. $10K worth of Corsair memory and all I get is good performance and reliability :rolleyes:, one $100 Corsair power supply and I get performance, reliability, a bag AND a case badge ! :)

Good point, from this point on I will request from upper management that all Corsair products be shipped in a bag with a case badge.

Actually, with how cheap memory is right now, a bag and a case badge might cost more than a 1GB module...

Back