What CPU to buy for Abit AA8XE?

GodSpeed

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of the Intel P4-520 2.8GHz LGA775

Are there different revisions which clock worse/better?

i bought the 520, just messing aorund without touching voltage or anything i'm up to 3.1 ghz. Funny thing about the prescott core, it seems to run cooler when you turn the fsb up a bit. Makes no sense, just the way it is.

Good cheap cpu until they release something more suited for the 775.

this is the first P4 desktop I've owned, been mostly an Amd guy. I'm pleased so far.

Right now I've got a 2.8 D0 520 running at 3.5 w/stock voltage so... as far as bang for your buck that's where it's at. Unless you want one of the new E0/J steppings which may overclock better. Then your best bet would be a 530J (I haven't seen any 520J's around anywhere trustworthy). I've seen them floating around the web for under $200.

Did you even read the review on it?
At over $220 online, the Fatal1ty-AA8XE is far from cheap, but it's no more expensive than other premium 925XE motherboards. With plenty of OTES cooling, a decent cable bundle, a tweak-filled BIOS, and uGuru delivering the best hardware monitoring around, the Fatal1ty-AA8XE is definitely a premium board worthy of any Pentium 4 overclocking enthusiast.

And therein lies the problem. It's worthy of any Pentium 4 overclocking enthusiast. Unfortunately, the Pentium 4 is a currently a lousy platform for enthusiasts and for the gaming crowd that the Fatal1ty brand caters to. The Pentium 4 may be the best that Intel has to offer, but unless you do a lot of video encoding, Athlon 64 processors are a better alternative. The upcoming 600-series Pentium 4 processors may redeem the LGA755 platform for gamers and enthusiasts, but they might not, and they're not out yet anyway.

Apart from its less-than-desirable CPU socket, the Fatal1ty-AA8XE could use a nip and tuck here and there. For starters, a less volatile mounting mechanism for the RAMFlow cooler would be nice. The cooler's fan header should also be much closer to the DIMM slots, and no matter what Queer Eye for the Straight Guy says about pastels, light blue heat sinks don't belong on a black-and-red Fatal1ty board.

At the end of the day, the Fatal1ty-AA8XE is unquestionably the best Pentium 4 overclocking board to grace our labs. If you're looking to push a Pentium 4 to its limits, the board should definitely be at the top of your list. However, if the Pentium 4 isn't your thing, hold tight. Abit has a Fatal1ty-branded Athlon 64 motherboard in the works that ought to have just as many bells an whistles for gamers and overclocking enthusiasts.

Personally I'd look at a good A64 setup for your project, maybe an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum or Neo3 with a 3200 (s939, 90nm) or something like that.

grenadier said:
Right now I've got a 2.8 D0 520 running at 3.5 w/stock voltage so... as far as bang for your buck that's where it's at. Unless you want one of the new E0/J steppings which may overclock better. Then your best bet would be a 530J (I haven't seen any 520J's around anywhere trustworthy). I've seen them floating around the web for under $200.

i had one too, 3.5 undervolted

CrimandEvil said:
Personally I'd look at a good A64 setup for your project, maybe an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum or Neo3 with a 3200 (s939, 90nm) or something like that.

I like the Neo4 a lot... thanks!

CrimandEvil said:

leave him alone! he wants a P4!

see what i mean? people like this try and suck you in. well its not going to happen. :rolleyes:

Back