Votes: 1 1.6%
  • HDD OR RAID

• OTHERS

• Total voters

PositiveVibe

Limp Gawd
Just wondering what brands most people are using and how reliable they are and how fast they are..

If you had to upgrade or get a SSD what brand would you get and what brands and models are reputable.

I only tried Corsair Force GS and Plextor M5 Pro and Samsung 840 pro.

IMO, the samsung and plextor are on PAR with speed. The corsairs maybe very slightly slower. Not a real big difference in everyday tasks. But i had a OCZ vertex but returned it after it failed installing windows. Kept getting errors so i returned it. Might have been a defect.

I run a Crucial M4 as my OS, and Samsung 830 as my game. If I had to start over, I'd choose a Samsung 840pro 256 GB. I also have a tiny Samsung 830 64 GB as a Linux Lappy drive. And it's great. The Crucial was on sale when I bought it last August I believe. :)

No problems with any drives so far. Speed between the M4 and 830 is negligible. 830 boots faster but it's not by much. Day-to-day tasks are the same. I used to have a Linux desktop with a Samsung 840 120GB. It was definitely leaps and bounds faster in most tasks than my old HDD, but my 830 and M4 ran circles around it with writes.

Intel... Samsung.... Liteon.... Had two STECs but they both died.....

Needs more multiple choice for those of us who long ago got over the whole "OMG I can only write 800000 PB to it? That wont do!!" thing.

How is it guy above mentioned OCZ... yet I'm the first OCZ vote? FFS, dude...

Anyhow, quite pleased with my 4x Vertex 3 120GB in RAID 0, and was also satisfied with my single Vertex 3 120GB for the past 2+ years. Also have OCZ Revodrive Hybrid 1TB (excellent since day one, but wish they'd release BIOS update allowing HDD swap in case of platter drive failure) and Patriot Pyro 256GB (no problems for 1+ years).

I'll stick with OCZ for as long as they do me right since I like how they really helped bring SSDs into the consumer limelight instead of just being another one of the bandwagon jumpers. Early Sandforce issues and their previous customer service issues aside, they're my favorite SSD company by far.

With my SSD needs met I probably won't upgrade for a while unless OCZ releases a new generation of Revodrive _ X2 with some massive performance boost. Even then, for extreme performance I just use RAMDisk (already do for scratch drive, but needs 32GB+ system for practical use) or can increase my RAID0 to 8 drives :p

EDIT: Why the fuck would you list an HDD option in a "What brand SSD?" poll?

Last edited:
How is it guy above mentioned OCZ... yet I'm the first OCZ vote? FFS, dude...

Anyhow, quite pleased with my 4x Vertex 3 120GB in RAID 0, and was also satisfied with my single Vertex 3 120GB for the past 2+ years. Also have OCZ Revodrive Hybrid 1TB (excellent since day one, but wish they'd release BIOS update allowing HDD swap in case of platter drive failure) and Patriot Pyro 256GB (no problems for 1+ years).

I'll stick with OCZ for as long as they do me right since I like how they really helped bring SSDs into the consumer limelight instead of just being another one of the bandwagon jumpers. Early Sandforce issues and their previous customer service issues aside, they're my favorite SSD company by far.

With my SSD needs met I probably won't upgrade for a while unless OCZ releases a new generation of Revodrive _ X2 with some massive performance boost. Even then, for extreme performance I just use RAMDisk (already do for scratch drive, but needs 32GB+ system for practical use) or can increase my RAID0 to 8 drives :p

EDIT: Why the fuck would you list an HDD option in a "What brand SSD?" poll?
I voted for Corsair, because as far as brand loyalty goes, I like Corsair products over OCZ.

Every PSU I own for the past 10+ systems I've bought is Corsair, so no hard feelings there *thumbs up*

Two M4 120GB. One for OS and the other for game drive. Had them in raid 0 but didnt see much of a benefit in what I do.

Both will be upgraded to the M500s in the next week or so.

M4 256GB in one laptop, 830 256GB in another and a 128GB 830 as a boot drive for my desktop.

2 480GB sandisk extreme ssds.

and a 120GB sata 2 Gskill phoenix pro just to make it up to a TB :p

The 120GB is sturdy as. Been running since it was worth over $300.
I hope the new drives have a long and prosperous life as well.

Sandforce FTW in my experience.

I say go a Crucial M500 980GB ;)

Running a 256GB M4 Crucial and about to upgrade to a M500 960GB just as soon as I can find one in stock :D

just a kingston v200 atm, ordered a samsung 840 ssd to replace the sandisk ultra ssd that died after 2 months. but had some ocz ssd's before that.

I've got a Samsung 840 and a few Crucial M4 ssds. All have been great, no issues and great performance in Windows and OSX :)

I run an OCZ Vertex 3 MI with no problems at all for two years now.

Poll Fail. I have multiple brands.

1 60 gig Samsung 840
2 60 gig Crucial M4
2 250 gig Samsung 840

Yes indeed.. samsung 840 pro, 830. Crucial m4 512, 256. I really want to get one of those M500 940 gig drives.

I have some OCZ I am killing off.

Several samsungs, 830 and 840's

a few intel 520

and a single crucial m4

Just installed my first ever SSD, a Samsung 840 Pro for Windows and apps, kept games on the standard hdd. Honestly the performance hasn't blown me away like everyone says it does. It's definitely quicker/snappier, but not "omg whole new experience"

Why would you keep games on standard HDD? Or do you play all 20 of them at the same time every day, one for each personality?

Why would you keep games on standard HDD? Or do you play all 20 of them at the same time every day, one for each personality?

I keep steam installed to a standard hard drive because my Garry's Mod installation grows bigger on a daily basis. I would like to think it would fit, but after weeks of downloading huge new maps, it always eventually fills up.

Back