What 27" to buy for gaming: 120hz or IPS?

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking of getting 1 new 1080p 27" monitor for xmas. While I'll use it to work too, the main purpose will be for gaming. Considering I already have a Dell ST2220T (I love the IPS for photo editing in Photoshop) should I get the 27" one also in IPS (60hz, ~$300) or a 120hz panel? Will I notice the 120hz fluidity that much or will I just miss the IPS colors?

If I go the IPS route I'm already leaning towards the Dell S2740L (ghosting won't bother me). What would you guys recommend if I go the 120hz route?

And not the kicker... should I just wait a few months for G-SYNC enabled monitors?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting 1 new 1080p 27" monitor for xmas. While I'll use it to work too, the main purpose will be for gaming. Considering I already have a Dell ST2220T (I love the IPS for photo editing in Photoshop) should I get the 27" one also in IPS (60hz, ~$300) or a 120hz panel? Will I notice the 120hz fluidity that much or will I just miss the IPS colors?

If I go the IPS route I'm already leaning towards the Dell S2740L (ghosting won't bother me). What would you guys recommend if I go the 120hz route?

And not the kicker... should I just wait a few months for G-SYNC enabled monitors?

Going from 60hz to 120hz is a good improvement for gaming, but stepping up to a low persistence display makes a HUGE difference.

The best gaming display right now seems to be the Eizo Foris FG2421, but I think it only comes in 24".
I would either go with that, wait for a 27" version, or wait for g-sync monitors.

Why not get a 120hz IPS panel so you have the best of both worlds? :)

Dell S2740L

Thought I convinced you not to get the S2740L already...it is worse than your ST2220T.

All monitors with tempered glass have awful black levels just like the 970D on the left in my photo.

The ST2220T is glossy just like the monitor on the right. All of these monitors were calibrated to the same brightness and have 850-900:1 contrast ratios. Tempered Glass=Cruel Joke since the blacks always look gray regardless of the room lighting used.

The first G-Sync monitors will use grainy matte TN panels. The HP Envy (PRAD's Review) and 27BW are the best glossy 1080p options but they both use LED PWM Dimming (PWM Side Effects). I'm unaware of any ST2220T PWM tests.

Last edited:
Thought I convinced you not to get the S2740L already...it is worse than your ST2220T.

:)

Yes, actually I still have the Dell on my wishlist for reference because most people seem to know that one. Since it has the same panel as the HP 27 xi I'm most likely going to go with that one (no overshoot issues + not mega reflective) but most people I ask don't know the HP and since the panel is the same, the Dell reference gets the message across when I ask a question.

Besides, Amazon has the HP for $250 lately, which is a killer deal, so most likely I'll end up buying this by Black Friday. I've recently seen a lot of discussion on 120hz panels and so I was doing a bit more research before making a final decision. I've seen your Dell videos a bunch of times though and even though there are issues you seem pretty excited about it, which makes me doubt... but at this point it's probably healthier for me to stop thinking already and just buy the HP 27 xi :)

After considering some of the QNIX that were hovering at around $330, I saw the HP 27xi discounted even further on Amazon at $250... at that price, all other temptations went away and I just bought it. It won't be perfect but for that price, I really can't complain. 1080p will keep allowing me not to stress my GPU too much, not forcing me to buy into a pricier GPU range, while I'll still get a great 27" IPS panel that doesn't have all the reflections of a tempered edge-to-edge glass.

My impressions and subjective review coming soon! Thanks everyone for your guidance and help!

Received the HP yesterday! It's a pretty sweet monitor. Now that I found out I can compensate for height differences, I've decided when I upgrade to a GTX 8xx next year I'll buy another 22" IPS for the right side and make it a triple monitor setup with the HP 27xi as the centerpiece.

So far, great stuff. I'll try to post some impressions and pictures this weekend (first I have to finish revising one of my dissertation chapters!)

2aic.jpg

Back