WGS - using Lion server as a home server

I have to say while I haven't tried lion and I like some things about a mac desktop the Snow Leopard server we have (at work) is painful to administer. The remote admin programs will only run on mac clients. I've had problems with HFS+ journal corruption that has to be solved with cryptic command line commands. My Solaris server is great in comparison, documentation is much much better too. I find the lack of a web interface and the lack of cross-platform compatibility of the admin programs for OS X server a huge pain.

I've never used WHS so I can't really comment on that.

The Mac ecosystem is overly expensive unless you happen to have a house full of imacs already. And even then the form factor of most macs outside of the Mac Pro requires a $700 external NAS or enclosure.

Also, the "It just works" business is a fallacy. Having provided support for my in laws who jumped into the Apple parade with both feet, I can tell you that it definitely doesn't always "just work". Windows machines would work 99.9% of the time too if all I did on them was simple internet/e-mail and office/productivity tasks.

Therefore, I'm surprised to see a long time Windows supporter buy into the fallacy. This article is proof that a fair amount of tinkering is involved any time a user wants to do something a little more complicated, no matter what OS ecosystem is involved.

What fun! A new project to play with. Hadn't really thought of running Lion Server as a serious server project. Kids have a couple of MacBooks, I've got my hackintosh toy, and four iPhone's in the house (the iOS management tools sound interesting to give a try). And their mail server with remote-acces/webmail tools built in sounds like its worth a try too.

I guess I'll need to set a goal: get OSx Lion Server Hackintosh running in a VM under ESXi. I love challenges...

Yeah, I agree about the 'it just works' fallacy. My dad has a mac, and I get calls from him every couple of months about something that just stopped working :(

Don't know about VM in ESXi , but there are quite a few articles on VMwarefusion and windows7 with Lion on the 'net.
And, of course Lion ( or Mac ) doesn't " just work " , nothing does , and Mac's are tedious to work on.

What fun! A new project to play with. Hadn't really thought of running Lion Server as a serious server project. Kids have a couple of MacBooks, I've got my hackintosh toy, and four iPhone's in the house (the iOS management tools sound interesting to give a try). And their mail server with remote-acces/webmail tools built in sounds like its worth a try too.

I guess I'll need to set a goal: get OSx Lion Server Hackintosh running in a VM under ESXi. I love challenges...

Both Snow Leopard and Loin work in VMware VMs so it should work in ESXi, all you need it a intel or amd v-tech, hell i can even run it in VirtualBox if i had the disc.

Don't know about VM in ESXi , but there are quite a few articles on VMwarefusion and windows7 with Lion on the 'net.
And, of course Lion ( or Mac ) doesn't " just work " , nothing does , and Mac's are tedious to work on.

Tedious is the right word, ihave to jump through hoops to get the few Macs that are in the house working.

No disc ( from what I understand ), you purchase from the app store and download and then mount to a USB to install. So far, you need an audio driver ( for VMwarefusion ) , and video doesn't play back.

Uh yeah. So I was reading this with an open mind right up until he said

"Rather than position Lion Server as a separate, dedicated server platform, it’s now available as an app that can be downloaded and installed on any compatible Mac. That means you can nominate one of the Macs on your network to act as the server. That’s right, the paradigm is rather different. Rather than the traditional concept of servers and clients being different machines, think of OS X Lion Server working as an administrative layer on top of one of your existing clients. All of that client goodness remains on the machine, and you can use it as you would any other Mac on the network – it just happens to be able to manage certain features on your other Macs as a bonus."

and my mind conjured up images of my kids playing web browser games on my server, all the while clicking OK to any popup window they may run across................pass.

Agreed.

I've come to expect better from terry Walsh. Its like somebody kidnapped him and wrote this article against is will.

Back