Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 20 Pack from NewEgg

ironroot

n00b
Hi all

I am looking to buy a large number of hard drives in the next few weeks and found this for sale on newegg

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS-20PK for $1799.99+SH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136717

The problem is 20 of those drives come out to be $1759.80 + free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Is there a reason why ordering the 20 pack would be a better deal?
As far as I can see the drives are the same.

Thanks all

The way the packaged might be different. If I were going to spend that much money on hard drives, I think I'd spend the extra $40 hoping that I might get same same packaging that Newegg got from WD. If Newegg repackages 20 single drives, there's a better than average chance something will get damaged in shipping.

But if they come in 20 packs they would probably just send you the 20 pack unopened, it would be less work for them.

But if they come in 20 packs they would probably just send you the 20 pack unopened, it would be less work for them.

That's assuming the 20-pack box is garbage once they've unloaded the drives out of it. I'm thinking it's not.

Last time I ordered a 20-pack, I liked the box so much I contacted the place I ordered it from to see about ordering just an empty box, if I paid shipping.

They refused. The only way they could offer the box was if it came with HDs. It was clear to me the box was not just garbage to them.

Is there a reason why ordering the 20 pack would be a better deal?
As far as I can see the drives are the same.

According to Newegg, the individual Blacks have a 5-yr warranty, where the Blacks in the 20-pack only have a three-yr warranty.

that is interesting....

hey buy more drives and you pay more per drive and get less warranty...

sounds like a great deal to me :D

that is interesting....

hey buy more drives and you pay more per drive and get less warranty...

sounds like a great deal to me :D

I don't understand why they're offering any warranty.

Owner: "I had one of my WD Blacks die on me and..."

WD: "And... don't you have 19 more?" :D

Back