Western Digital 4TB Black drive announced

At work I would pay that price for a 4TB 7200 RPM drive with a 5 year warranty for my linux software raid6 arrays. I refuse to use 5400 RPM disks in raid6 arrays for a work environment. Although for raid6 that would mean I need at least 6 plus a spare. I know you can get away with 4 but I generally steer clear of that.

I'd consider 4 in a raid 10, but yeah, I can't stomach that kind of cost all at once for only 8TB usable :) Bet it's fast though, and 5 year warranty sure makes it nice. Be nice, someday hope these are priced for more general use, seems the hdd market has been quite stagnant for some time.

At work I would pay that price for a 4TB 7200 RPM drive with a 5 year warranty for my linux software raid6 arrays. I refuse to use 5400 RPM disks in raid6 arrays for a work environment. Although for raid6 that would mean I need at least 6 plus a spare. I know you can get away with 4 but I generally steer clear of that.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The 5400's just cannot hang for a lot of tasks.

Back