weird noises from fan on nf7-s

misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
yeah, so as the title implies, my slightly year old nf7-s is making weird noises from the fan..sometimes it appears like it's running slower and speeding up or it's trying to stop. it happens sporadically. i bought some compressed air hoping it was just possibly a dust buildup which shouldn't happen anyway because i cleaned it like 3 months ago.

thanks in advance for the help!

Northbridge fans are known to wear out...mine did on my NF7-S, also about at the one year mark, I just installed a new northbridge cooler and was done with it.

Maniacmous said:
Northbridge fans are known to wear out...mine did on my NF7-S, also about at the one year mark, I just installed a new northbridge cooler and was done with it.

is there an easy way (is it even reasonable/suggested) to add a passive heatsink to it or is this detrimental?

I have this one and it works great, probably even better than the stock little bugger. I did, though, have to bend the fins a bit so it would fit under my 900u

i pulled the plug out, its been working fine and it folds too. If you want to be safe get a zalman northbridge cooler at jab-tech.com

The fans on the NF7-S are prone to failure. My fan died after about 6 months with very similar symptoms as you're describing. My dorm roommate's died at about 8 months. I replaced mine with one of those Zalman passive heatsinks and it worked great. The only bad thing is you have to take out the motherboard if you plan on using the clips/bolts. You can go the lazy route and just use some adhesive.

strid3r said:
The fans on the NF7-S are prone to failure.

QFT

If there was one major problem with the NF7-S it would be the NB fan. Notoriously prone to failure.

failure isn't a big deal. Mine was dead for a few months until I got around to replacing it. The Nforce 2 chip just doesn't put out much heat

i had mine unplugged for over a year and a half and experienced no probs.

I replaced the NB fan the day I got my NF7-S. I put a Vantec Iceburq Copper on it.

Erasmus354 said:
QFT

If there was one major problem with the NF7-S it would be the NB fan. Notoriously prone to failure.
COrrection. THere is one major problem with ALL Abit mobos, and it's substandard NB fans they use :D

same thing here. it started to act funny. i got along for a few extra months by flicking it and the noise went away. now yeah i got a cooler master northbride cooler

Get the NB Passive cooler linked above. I've had it for 12 months now since my original one died after 6. Best thing is that it makes no noise.

-tReP

TehQuick said:
COrrection. THere is one major problem with ALL Abit mobos, and it's substandard NB fans they use :D

They actually went to a passive heatpipe cooler on the new AN8 boards. I guess they got the hint :).

I'm envious that you guys had your NB coolers work at all - when I was using that mobo the fan was seized from the day I opened the box. The easiet thing to do is either get one of the Zalman passive NB coolers, or if you have access to one, tear the large passive heatsink off a socket A ASUS board; ASUS used passive coolers, and they work just fine on the NF7-S (rev 2.0).

My fan also started to go crazy. What I did was take the useless silver plastic cover off of it and now it works fine again!

Back