Watercooling for X1950XT

mwarps

Supreme [H]ardness
I've just got my x1950XT and the damn thing sounds like a jet engine while I'm folding on it.
I've already got the rest of my loop set up and testing

MCP655
Apogee
MCR320QP w/ 6 Yate Loons in push pull on a 50W rheostat
1/2" tubing.

I did a search and I saw some threads on the MCW60 from swifty. Looks like a decent block. Has anyone had any bad experience with it? I'd be using it with copper ramsinks and ASTA.

I also saw a thread about a Tyee from DD, but I don't feel like dropping that much cash on a block, unless the performance is absolutely insane.
What are some other alternatives?

if you get it let me know how you like it. I've got a X1950 Pro, and I do want to expand my WC setup. At some point in the next year though I'll be upgrading to a DX10 card, not sure if I want to drop the dough on WCing this one.

Do not get the full cove block on your Radeon! You will getter temps if you get a GPU block only!, get the swiftech one or the new EK, that one is pretty sweet!

Do not get the full cove block on your Radeon! You will getter temps if you get a GPU block only!, get the swiftech one or the new EK, that one is pretty sweet!

It looks like EK only makes full coverage blocks right now. I'm not particularly concerned with insane performance. Anything is better than the stock cooler, and anything water is quieter than anything air, and that's my goal here.

Uh crap, i mean the new D-Tek GPU block, The fusion one. Sorry :rolleyes:

It looks like EK only makes full coverage blocks right now. I'm not particularly concerned with insane performance. Anything is better than the stock cooler, and anything water is quieter than anything air, and that's my goal here.

EK makes the best FC blocks. If you want good temps, good looks, no sound and don't mind not having the absolute best temps, then there is no substitute.

MCW60's are the pinnacle of performance, but it's a GPU only solution. You'll have to mount ram sinks (some people hate this). Even with the higher restriction, the D-Tek block performed just as well in my informal test. However, I wouldn't recommend it over the MCW60 for those seeking a single loop wc solution.

Probably going to go with the EK block.

between the cost of the MCW60, the ramsinks, the ASTA, the clamps I'd use to complete the mod, and not to mention the TIME spent, the EK suddenly becomes worth it. Not to mention it's damn perdy.

Well, I finished the loop and got the system running, finally.

GPU at stock speeds with stock cooler was 75-80C at load
with the EK full coverage it's 48-52C at load.

Very pleased.

No overclocking yet, I'm still trying to figure out all the voltage options that ATITool gives me.

Though I will admit that I destroyed my first X1950XT.
Overtightened the screws with a power screwdriver by accident, cracked the card.

As long as you're nice to the card, it'll be nice to you :) Lesson learned!

Though I will admit that I destroyed my first X1950XT.
Overtightened the screws with a power screwdriver by accident, cracked the card.

That sucks! FWIW, there have been a few times where I've used a power screwdriver where I had business using one. Sometimes it's hard not to use it.

At least I've never ruined a nice video card like that one, tho.:p

Back