WARM Ultra Aluminus $50 AR + free ship

Chipotle

Limp Gawd
Hey, this looks pretty good. Best price I found on pricegrabber was 89.99. This is $110 - $50rebate from RadioShack. Free shipping on items over $50. There seems to be some neat stuff with these cases.

Aluminus Blue
Aluminus Silver

Just a slight warning.

Radio Shack is actually pretty good with their rebates, but it takes months for them to send it.

My most recent one is for a bluetooth earpiece. I bought the item, received it from them quickly, sent the rebate in quickly, received notice that they received it 2 months later, and that they will process the rebate in 8 to 10 WEEKS.

That's 4 months for a $20 rebate.

So, good price on a nice case, but the rebate is painful to wait for. (Case looks sweet in person I should add.)

I've already bit on this... as a matter of fact, the case was just delivered today! I haven't seen it yet, as I am at work.

Also, it's actually $59.99 after both rebates...

Just finished building my new system today in the black Aluminus. This is a very nice case, lots of bells & whistles for the money (more than many higher priced cases). However if you've never had an ALL aluminum case before, be careful with it. I've heard it but this is my first one and I was still kinda surprised at how delicate the case is. There is virtually NO steel in this thing, and apart from the plastic bezel and drive rails it is all very thin aluminum (even the HD trays), only weighs about 10-12 pounds empty (you can pick it up with one finger easily). The downside to that is the thing will bend, dent, and screw hole threads will strip if you apply much force. Handle it like an egg and it will be an awesome case. The high gloss black finish looks sweet as well (but is a major dust magnet!).

I paid $99 + s/h for it and now that I have it setup I'm pleased, but was having second thoughts there while building it. It's definitely not a case to be moved around a lot.

Oh oh... mine arrived in plain brown box with no UPC. Anyone else have this problem?

Blizz?

Lawdog said:
Oh oh... mine arrived in plain brown box with no UPC. Anyone else have this problem?

Blizz?
Ouch. I bought mine from TD and it came in a full-color retail box. Ratshack is shipping OEM cases?

But how the hell are you going to send the rebates, if there is no UPC?

Plain brown box?

All Aluminus cases come from us in full color retail boxes.

When the cases are flown in from Taiwan to fill holes in inventory, they are double boxed (retail box inside brown box. See http://www.3dgameman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41602 for photos.

EDIT: I just talked to the warehouse. They say when they break down the containers they double-box the cases, but they don't rebox them. The UPC code should be on the box that's inside the box.

And you can certainly move around an Aluminum case. It may seem delicate because it's light, but it still doesn't dent or bend as easily as you may think.

It's such a shame you can't move around a light, but unfortunately delicate case... my case (X-Navigator) weighs like 50 pounds empty, and is a pain to move around... or maybe I'm just weak :)

annaconda said:
Are you Radio Shack's representative?

No. Ultra's.

When I said "from us" I meant "from Ultra to Radio Shack's fullfilment warehouse." Not "from Radio Shack to the customer." Sorry about that.

I have this case and I love it ,it's very sturdy! I bought mine from provantage and it had a bad door on the front the large case door, I called Ultra and they replaced it very quickly with no hassels! :D provantage shipped it to me in a double plain box but the one from Ultra came in a color box and no defects!

jc@ultra said:
No. Ultra's.

When I said "from us" I meant "from Ultra to Radio Shack's fullfilment warehouse." Not "from Radio Shack to the customer." Sorry about that.

Dude you guys should work on your rebates. I always bought ULTRA's products but never recieved any rebates, and on the other hand i never missed the rebates from other manufacturers.

Don't hesitate to drop Ultra an email. I end up getting about three or four rebate issues a day . Not saying yours falls into any of these categories, but most of those are problems like two rebates in one envelope with only one invoice (and since the rebates are spit up after they're opened, you then have a rebate w/o an invoice,) or a Fry's rebate receipt instead of an invoice (happens all of the time because the cashiers say, "this is all you need" when it says right on the rebate receipt to send in the rebate receipt AND the invoice.) I even had one guy not sign the rebate because it didn't say that he wouldn't get his rebate if he didn't sign it (sort of like suing McD's for spilling coffee on your own lap because the cup doesn't say the conents are hot.) But every single rebate issue that's come across my desk has been resolved by just having the missing documentation faxed in.

If you have Ultra rebates hanging out there, dead serious PM me all of your rebate confirmation numbers (those long alpha codes that you use to track your rebate on Onrebate's site) and I'll double check every single one for you.

good looking price for a good looking case...

btw, to thoise of you that think moving that case is a pain, i have moved my LianLi PC75 w/ WC 10 times in the past week... i cant stay away form it, i take it to work :)

Well, when I say you can't move it around, I simply mean that it will likely get beat up unless you're extremely careful. I move cases around all the time, both on the job and at home (I have 8 PC's at home) and I've never had to handle one as carefully as this one. I'm just not used to it is all.

Maybe it's sturdy for an aluminum case -- I'll give you that much since I've never owned another one. But NO WAY is it as sturdy as a quality steel case... obviously. I have known several people to own aluminum cases from Lian-Li's to Antec's and they've all said the same thing -- they dent easily. If you have it in the floor and accidently kick it, dent. Bump it with your chair caster when you roll your chair up, dent. Slide it across the floor and bump it into your subwoofer, dent. That's all I'm saying.

I've already stripped one PCIe bracket screw hole, and I was not overtightening. The screw went in slightly cross-threaded or something, and by the time I felt the extra tension, it broke through and stripped out -- now I can't tighten down my video card, and because it's PCIe in the x16 slot I can't move it to another. No big deal I guess, it should be grounded okay through the socket and mobo, but it could still work loose if you plug/unplug monitors to move it around.

I'm not knocking the case overall, I really like it -- it's beautiful and loaded with features, like I said. It just takes some getting used to if you have never handled aluminum cases.

Update:

I have received messages from both ULTRA and from Radioshack and the situation is being handled. Kudos to both for addressing the issue so fast.

I will post up here if/when it all gets fixed as hoped.

Malatov said:
Well, when I say you can't move it around, I simply mean that it will likely get beat up unless you're extremely careful. I move cases around all the time, both on the job and at home (I have 8 PC's at home) and I've never had to handle one as carefully as this one. I'm just not used to it is all.
Agreed, i have an aspire x-navigator, and i went to a few lans and so far the door is broken off and it has scratches/a nifty dent. I have to give it credit though its travled somthing like 6000 miles with me in the back of my trunk, goin to ca from oregon.

Is it worth upgrading from old ultra steel case to this aluminum case. The old case has 2 x80mm fan in the back and 2 x 80mm fans for the intake, rest of the shape and size i think is the same.

It's actually a completely different case. We just use the same plastics company that already had the "Dragon" mold to make the face plate. New face plate designs take a lot of time and money. The Dragon is a recognized and "safe" design, so we just stuck with that until our own face plate mold is done.

jc@ultra said:
It's actually a completely different case. We just use the same plastics company that already had the "Dragon" mold to make the face plate. New face plate designs take a lot of time and money. The Dragon is a recognized and "safe" design, so we just stuck with that until our own face plate mold is done.

The faceplate is exactly what kept me from buying this case, despite the other good features.

After years of owning various dragon style cases I guess I'm just tired of it and don't think of it as attractive any more. If Ultra would sell a redesigned faceplate as a standalone accessory for owners of dragon style cases, I'd reconsider (buying the case, that is).

I have to agree. I'm a bit sick of the bezel myself. :D

Like I said, innovating new bezels take time and money. We've got a few in the works, but they won't be out until the beginning of Q2. Using the exisiting Dragon bezel allowed us to put this case out there in Q4 of 2005.

annaconda said:
Is it worth upgrading from old ultra steel case to this aluminum case. The old case has 2 x80mm fan in the back and 2 x 80mm fans for the intake, rest of the shape and size i think is the same.

Yes, for $60 it is for me. I am making this exact change... the dual 120mm fans and the side mounted HD bays seal it for me... MUCH quieter and easier to hide cables to boot.

annaconda said:
It would be really good deal if they offer black case next week.

True.., when/if my situation gets resolved, it won't stay silver for long. May even turn into a little worklog methinks. ;)

Back