Warm? Sempron 3850 + Board $30+tax @ MC

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
I was the MN Microcenter for another reason & decided to pick this up.

The Sempron 3850 is $29.99
The ASRock board w/o Displayport is $35.99
-$40 combo + $0.01 min motherboard cost = $30.00+tax

Other options are the 5350 for $49.99 and/or the Asrock board w/ displayport for $48.99 (Box said $64.99 which is why I didn't get it, but online it says $48.99)

When I was there yesterday they had 5-6 boards in stock & plenty of the processors.

They had the AM1B-ITX (no displayport) and the AM1H-ITX as well (with displayport). If you search for boards, typically only one shows up if yoiu select the checkbox next to socket "AM1". A text search on the website returns more results.

Last edited:
I just put Lubuntu on mine & made it a steam client. Long as the rendering is done elsewhere it works great!

Could be nice base for a cheap NAS. Is the AM1B-ITX the "free" one? Thanks!

In case any one else is interested, here's an overview of the AM1B-ITX and other Kabini boards.

Read that article and something caught my attention.

As with the other motherboards in this preview, the main PCIe 2.0 x16 slot runs at x4 mode due to the PCIe lane allocation,

This might sound like a great garage computer. Currently I have a FX quad core in the garage, which is plenty overkill for what I use it for, but I get concerned about the heat output in the summer.

This little 25W CPU, including graphics, would be way better.

Great deal OP, i nearly bit when the prices were higher but later discovered that Braswell boards better suited my needs.

This might sound like a great garage computer. Currently I have a FX quad core in the garage, which is plenty overkill for what I use it for, but I get concerned about the heat output in the summer.

This little 25W CPU, including graphics, would be way better.
Alternate idea with newer tech: Braswell N3150 and N3700 mobos with embedded cpu's, 6 watts total for board and processor alone. Native H265 and 4K capable @ 30hz. Standard power supplies would waste more energy due to inefficiency, DC/Pico power supplies would be a lot more efficient. Most of the poor user-reviews are due to people trying to install older versions of Linux, or having trouble with an outdated Win7 USB driver (there are easy workarounds).

N3700 $99 / $89AC<-- 20% Coupon at Jet.com
N3150. $69 / $59AR Also available at Amazon and SuperBiiz.
Asrock BeeBox $99AR

Random review found on Google:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/pentium-n3700-cpu-review/

Last edited:
Great deal OP, i nearly bit when the prices were higher but later discovered that Braswell boards better suited my needs.

Alternate idea with newer tech: Braswell N3150 and N3700 mobos with embedded cpu's, 6 watts total for board and processor alone. Native H265 and 4K capable @ 30hz. Standard power supplies would waste more energy due to inefficiency, DC/Pico power supplies would be a lot more efficient. Most of the poor user-reviews are due to people trying to install older versions of Linux, or having trouble with an outdated Win7 USB driver (there are easy workarounds).

N3700 <-- i think you can get this for a few dollars less at Jet.com, using a coupon.
N3150. Also available at Amazon and SuperBiiz.
Asrock BeeBox

Ya, as many people point, sure Intel has a better product.....but that price :eek:

I have had several AMD CPU's over the last 20 years (probably about 10) and nearly all of them I got just because of price, and generally it was bundles like this one.

Ya, as many people point, sure Intel has a better product.....but that price :eek:

I have had several AMD CPU's over the last 20 years (probably about 10) and nearly all of them I got just because of price, and generally it was bundles like this one.
Price? The N3150 is $69 for the motherboard and cpu together, The N3700 is around $85-$89 on Jet.com with coupon. The BeeBox is $99 AR and that one even comes with a case & power supply.

Unless you were thinking sub $60 category? But those examples will have less horsepower and pull more watts from the outlet.

But as long as a person knows what they need at a particular price point, then most of what i pointed out won't matter as much. It's nice to have more options to choose from though :)

Last edited:

N3700 $99 / $89AC<-- 20% Coupon at Jet.com
N3150. $69 / $59AR Also available at Amazon and SuperBiiz.
Asrock BeeBox $99AR

I always appreciate more options. Thanks! The cheapest option does run about 2x the sempron 3850 combo, and if you aren't TDP tied, an A6-7400k with (almost?) free board might fit the bill better and be a lot faster. Obviously you are TDP tied, but have more budget and want a bit faster than the Sempron, this is a great option.

Last edited:
I always appreciate more options. Thanks!
You're welcome, and since you asked for it, here's another low cost option :p

The AMD A4-5000 Mobo + CPU combo for $49.99 + $2.99 S/H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138412

Here it is compared to the Sempron 3850: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Sempron-3850-vs-AMD-A4-5000

^^^ If i'm reading that correctly, the CPU and GPU is slightly more powerful than the Sempron, and power usage is 50% lower. I do not know if it accepts ECC ram but i have my doubts, and my hunch is you can't overclock the integrated processor.

Back